September 2012 Moms
Options

For the PT moms-a TMI question

We are having issues with Maya's wiping. When she poops she isn't wiping well which is showing in her underpants and in the fact that her bottom is sometimes itchy. At her old DC they helped PT so they would help her wipe. The new preschool doesn't really do that.

How did you teach your kid to wipe? I'm thinking DH and I are just going to have to check when she gets home, but I hate for her to be dirty down there all day.

Re: For the PT moms-a TMI question

• Options
    Ethan was like this.  I had to make him come into the bathroom with me when I pooped and show him how I wipe.  I know that sounds gross.  Sorry!  Then I would go and watch him wipe and talk him through it.  It was definitely awkward, but it only took about two weeks before he was drastically better.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    At what point/age are they wiping themselves? DS1 is 3 in October and is out of diapers. Wiping is not happening yet though. Should I start that now?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Keagan developed a pretty bad rash from not wiping well over the winter. I really had to walk him through it and guide his hands for a while until he got the hang of it.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I try to tell Maya to "wipe where the pee comes out" for peeing, but pooping is more difficult because of reaching and trying to teach her to look at the paper to see if it's clean so she'll know but not wanting her to play with the paper or touch the paper when it's dirty (ew!).
  • Options
    I still wipe James, school does too but he very rarely poops at school. Sometimes I use a baby wipe, they make flushable wipes maybe you can try that at home (and at school if they will let you bring those in for her).

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options

One of my friends that is an occupational therapist does an activity for kids to teach this skill where she puts clear masking tape with colored dry erase marker on the non-sticky part of the tape and then puts the tape on the child's bum (OVER THE PANTS, NOT ON THE SKIN) and has the child practice reaching back to wipe off all the color from the tape.  Does that make sense? I realize I'm explaining this weird.

• Options
    At my house though, the wiping skills have just developed over time...we would do a "test wipe" before she got off the toilet to make sure she was thorough enough.

• Options
    hmp1 said:

I still wipe James, school does too but he very rarely poops at school. Sometimes I use a baby wipe, they make flushable wipes maybe you can try that at home (and at school if they will let you bring those in for her).

This. I still wipe DS at home bc he refuses to do it, ugh!

He's trained himself to not poop at school.

There were a couple occasions in the past where he had come home with dirty underwear. They will help wipe, but DS would just poop & exit the bathroom without saying he had pooped. I would tell him every time he came home that he needs to tell the teacher, but it never sunk in.

At home we use the wet bathroom wipes on DS.

• Options
    We used the wet wipes, too, but had to stop because Ethan's butt was bright red.  I'm guessing because it didn't dry.  I had to put a diaper and diaper rash cream on him for a couple nights to clear it up :))
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    I haven't done this yet, but my sil was talking about this with her 4 yr old. They have wet wipes in the bathroom for him and it seems to help a lot. She thinks he struggles because he has a bit of a bubble butt and will just need more practice.
    Aria September 18, 2012
    Baby Due April 17, 2015
  • Options
    MelsaX said:

Not looking forward to this at all.

Exactly! I am dreading this!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"