August 2013 Moms
Options

Red Heads

So DS has read hair and people always comment on it. People all the time are like "look it's a ginger baby" I have found myself getting agitated/offended when people call him a ginger.

Does "ginger" have a negative connotation or am I just being overly sensitive? What do y'all think?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Red Heads

• Options
    SlpaffordSlpafford member
    edited September 2014
    People ask all the time where DS got his red hair. It just makes me angry when people call him a ginger. To the point I actually told someone not to call my child that at the grocery store. My friend (who doesn't have children) then told me I was over reacting so I wanted some other opinions to see if I'm just being an over protective mom!

I will probably start telling people I dyed it! Ha! Love it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ginger is a deragatory term in England according to a British friend of mine. It's like the term "wanker" is ok over here but it's a curse word equivalent to "fucker" over there.
  • Options
    The word itself doesn't bother me. When people ask where his red hair comes from, I say "God makes them all perfect!" The people with good intentions don't mind that and people with bad intentions get the hint.

You have to get creative. Especially with foster kids. We've had some training, and the easiest way they say to get around it is to have one sentence to say so you aren't rude and to just understand that people don't always know what they are saying is ignorant.

People just can't stand minding their own business.
    Married DH <3 : 7/7/12; 3 fur babies (2 dogs and 1 cat)
    DS born 9/3/13; DD born 7/22/15; LO due 5/28/18
    FS (age 5) and FD (age 2) to become AS/AD very soon!

• Options
    I guess I didn't realize this would be so hurtful to some. My girlfriend has 2 red headed babies. My daughter is in love with her son and we always joke we are going to have "ginger" grandbabies. I never realized.

I'm sorry. :(

• Options
    Ginger is not a negative term over here. My DD has a deep red and DH has a brighter red. Of course, only friends and family refer to her as a ginger, though if you want to get technical...as ginger is supposed to be the bright red hair, with super pale skin and freckles.
    What's more annoying to me is people asking where that (red) came from. Obviously its genetic. Really, people? But, usually everyone just comments what beautiful hair she has.
    Its natural to get defensive over our children, but I think in this instance, its not the hill to die on.

• Options
    Ginger is not negative here either. People love LO because of his hair colour and we always get people stopping to comment on it. It doesn't bother me because it comes from my side of the family, but I could see him disliking it in the future. I don't have red hair but I have the freckles and pale skin.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ginger has no negative connotation in this area, so I'm leaning towards overreacting. Dh's cousin has natural red hair and calls herself a ginger all the time. It's nbd.
  • Options
    I think most people, at least where I am, don't mean anything nasty when using the term. I guess to me it's more about the tone and intention behind it.

• Options
    All the redheads I know refer to themselves as gingers and aren't offended when called a ginger.

One friend did study abroad in England and there's real redhead hate there where ginger is def derogatory. I would venture a guess it has its roots in the English/Irish conflict (not nearly as bad as it once was), but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• Options
    carrotcake06carrotcake06 member
    edited September 2014
    Oh and as far as attracting attention when you're out, you do get used to it. Between twins and 3 boys, people will go out of their way to say asinine things to me.

• Options
    I read on pinterest that your get red hair because of a genetic mutation. . So when people ask me why my baby has red hair I answer "because she's a mutant" lol people just look confused and that's when I walk away. Hahah but it doesn't bother me much
  • Options
    I am a ginger and have always loved it. :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

VOTE on my Name List
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"