September 2012 Moms

@melody921 re: running

Since you finished your half marathon you are totally my hero.

My question for you is WHEN do you fit in all this running?  Also, are you doing it outside or on a treadmill somewhere?

I really want to step up my running game and since we are both working moms wtih kids similar in age I'd love to hear how you're fitting it in and if it's indoors or out.  I need to mimic you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: @melody921 re: running

• FlamingemuFlamingemu member
    edited September 2014
    Not Melody, but I run a lot. I have a treadmill, so my shorter runs all happen there. Which lately, is all of them. When I ran distance, I would just get up and go first thing on a weekend morning while DH manned the kiddo. 

I am not a morning runner, so I usually head out (or downstairs to the 'mill) after L is in bed. I usually have a bit more adrenaline afterwards, so that helps fuel me through the evening chores. I just don't get as much sit and relax time when I run at night.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Not Melody, but I run a lot. I have a treadmill, so my shorter runs all happen there. Which lately, is all of them. When I ran distance, I would just get up and go first thing on a weekend morning while DH manned the kiddo. 

I am not a morning runner, so I usually head out (or downstairs to the 'mill) after L is in bed. I usually have a bit more adrenaline afterwards, so that helps fuel me through the evening chores. I just don't get as much sit and relax time when I run at night.

STUCK

@Flamingemu thank you!  I can't see doing it after the kids go to bed (at 8pm) because it's dark out as of 8pm now.  Sounds like if I want to do that, I need to get a treadmill.  Right now my only option is outside, so I guess weekends are my only real option.

• Loading the player...
  • If your DH is home, you can go in the mornings depending on how early you want to get up or at night.

If you run at night, stick to well lit areas or local school tracks. I run my neighborhood wearing a reflective vest, hat, attach lights to me, wear a white or neon colored top, and carry pepper spray. It may be overkill, but if I get run over, I never want it to be said that the person couldn't see me.

If you treadmill run, make sure to get outside at least once a week. The 'mill and roads are very different.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • I do have a treadmill, but ever since I started running outside a lot, I really prefer being outdoors. So I tend to only use the tread for short runs. I did long runs super early on the weekends -- like out the door between 5 and 6 a.m., depending on how early it got light. That way, even if DS, who's my early riser, was up shortly after I left, it wasn't like I left DH with the kids for a chunk of the afternoon. Besides, I liked that it was cooler and then I had the rest of the day to do what I wanted. During the week, I'll either do the treadmill after the kids are in bed or, if I can fit it in, a short run right after work if DH can pick the kids up from school. You can do it! I'm running another half in less than six weeks, so my long run days aren't over yet.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• OK you guys are really committed!  Sounds like I need to get some reflective gear and drag my arse out of bed earlier on the weekend!  

• MommaP12 said:
    OK you guys are really committed!  Sounds like I need to get some reflective gear and drag my arse out of bed earlier on the weekend!  
    I need reflective gear too. I've got nothing, which is why I can't go out on weekday mornings right now.

• melody921 said:
    MommaP12 said:
    OK you guys are really committed!  Sounds like I need to get some reflective gear and drag my arse out of bed earlier on the weekend!  
    I need reflective gear too. I've got nothing, which is why I can't go out on weekday mornings right now.
    Be safe!!!

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • MommaP12 said:
    Thank you for starting this thread.  I need the reminder that I can do it too.  It's so hard with kiddos to find the time, but you're right, the ladies on here doing it are committed.

Back when I was running more often, I actually had an agreement with DH.  He took care of the kids at least one night a week while I worked out.  Usually that meant missing either dinner or bedtime, but it allowed me to do something for myself, which doesn't happen that often.  Now DH is back into running and will miss a bedtime here and there to run.  It's becoming a joke in our house that Dad "ran away," since usually our kids are driving us crazy by that time in the evening.  ;)

The hardest part for me is when I get busy at work, I'm already working late several times a week, so I can't justify missing the kids when I'm not stuck here.  Now that we're in a "slow" time, I really need to get my butt out running again.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• kelbel527 said:
    MommaP12 said:
    Thank you for starting this thread.  I need the reminder that I can do it too.  It's so hard with kiddos to find the time, but you're right, the ladies on here doing it are committed.

Back when I was running more often, I actually had an agreement with DH.  He took care of the kids at least one night a week while I worked out.  Usually that meant missing either dinner or bedtime, but it allowed me to do something for myself, which doesn't happen that often.  Now DH is back into running and will miss a bedtime here and there to run.  It's becoming a joke in our house that Dad "ran away," since usually our kids are driving us crazy by that time in the evening.  ;)

The hardest part for me is when I get busy at work, I'm already working late several times a week, so I can't justify missing the kids when I'm not stuck here.  Now that we're in a "slow" time, I really need to get my butt out running again.
    I'm right there with you @kelbel527.   I don't even have the excuse of working late though, I'm out the door at 5 every day.  I don't know why but I just hate missing dinner/bedtime so I need to allow myself to not feel so guilty if I miss a bedtime or dinner.  Just a weird hang up I have.   It would be great if I could run one weekday and then on Saturday and Sunday.   I'm going to get some reflective gear by the weekend.

• MommaP12 said:
    kelbel527 said:
    MommaP12 said:

I'm right there with you @kelbel527.   I don't even have the excuse of working late though, I'm out the door at 5 every day.  I don't know why but I just hate missing dinner/bedtime so I need to allow myself to not feel so guilty if I miss a bedtime or dinner.  Just a weird hang up I have.   It would be great if I could run one weekday and then on Saturday and Sunday.   I'm going to get some reflective gear by the weekend.
    I know the hang-up @mommap12.  I have bad working mom guilt and hate to miss anytime with my kiddos.  Usually I try to run when I get home, miss dinner and then I still get bedtime with them.  I get more snuggles at bedtime, so I would rather have that over dinnertime any day.  But then I'm eating later than I like as well, so it's a fine balance.  And when I was more consistent, I usually only did it one weeknight and then did Sat/Sun like you suggested.  

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Not Melody and I'm nowhere close to a half-marathon (I could probably knock out a 5K, lol), but I just put E in the jogging stroller and run 3-5 times a week.  I bought a fairly inexpensive one and it was the best $100 I've ever spent on fitness.  She loves going for walks and runs in the stroller, so it's an easy way to distract her on a cranky afternoon, too.  I'm lucky in that I have afternoons open since I only work part-time, but it would work as an evening activity before bed, too.

Weather is my only hurdle because I can't run in the heat (and I don't have time in the mornings when it's cooler), so the past month has been a little lame for me.  In the winter I'll get a month-by-month membership to the local fitness center to hold me over, and DH has agreed to 3 hour long "escapes" a week for me to do so.
  • Hyaline said:
    Not Melody and I'm nowhere close to a half-marathon (I could probably knock out a 5K, lol), but I just put E in the jogging stroller and run 3-5 times a week.  I bought a fairly inexpensive one and it was the best $100 I've ever spent on fitness.  She loves going for walks and runs in the stroller, so it's an easy way to distract her on a cranky afternoon, too.  I'm lucky in that I have afternoons open since I only work part-time, but it would work as an evening activity before bed, too.

Weather is my only hurdle because I can't run in the heat (and I don't have time in the mornings when it's cooler), so the past month has been a little lame for me.  In the winter I'll get a month-by-month membership to the local fitness center to hold me over, and DH has agreed to 3 hour long "escapes" a week for me to do so.
    Yes, I put both kids in the jogger. I can't go as far -- one, bc they're heavy and slow me down and two, bc inevitably someone ends up whining/crying/dropping toys, but it's better than nothing on the days I can't get out on my own. And it has an added upper body workout ;-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"