September 2012 Moms

Do you judge people who..

..let their toddlers sit in the big part of the grocery shopping cart?  I rarely take both kids to the store and when I have, I've let DD sit in the front and kept DS in his car seat and put that in the big part of the cart, but we switched him to a toddler car seat so now I am trying to figure out what to do with both of them.  The store I'm going to doesn't have a cart with two spots for kids..and pulling a cart and stroller is kind of a pain.  I know it's not recommended for safety reasons, but just wondering what others think about it.
Married Since 09/2006, TTC Since 09/2010 
DX: Unexplained infertility, DH normal 
3 Femara cycles - Oct, Nov, Dec 2011, all BFNs 
IVF #1, ER 2/15 (5R, 4M, 4F), ET 2/18, Beta 2/29 = BFN :( 
Follistim + IUI on 6/25 = BFN 
Home Study Finalized 8/14/12! Profile Active - 8/17/12! 
Officially Matched 8/29/12, Our perfect angel born 9/25/12! 
Biggest surprise ever, unexpected BFP on 4/12/13! 

Our Angel through Adoption
 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Our Little Miracle
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Do you judge people who..

• I do it with my 3/4 year old. I'd be fine doing it with the 2 year old (Sep12 baby) as well.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • When I have both kids with me, James often sits in the big part and Leo in the seat. He sits though and never stands or rocks around back there. If I saw a kid standing up back there, I would think it was unsafe. But two kids and one in the big part, no big deal.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Loading the player...
  • I think it's unsafe. If I couldn't get a cart to seat both kids, I'd wear DD and let DS ride in the front part of the cart.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I don't. Maya is allowed to sit in there as long as she sits on her bottom. It's really the easiest way to shop with two of them. I only judge when kids are standing up, leaning out, etc. because that's just dangerous.
    L is allowed to sit there is she stays seated. If she stands, even once, she is out.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • N thinks he is way to grown up to sit in the regular seat. So he either walks beside me and helps me push or he sits in the bigger part. I lose grocery space that way so it's not preferred.
    And that's only with 1- not sure what I'll do with 2 kids. I already prefer to go alone because its just so time consuming with him!

• Ok you can yell at me all you want, and i know its not recommended / the safest.  But DS has been riding in the big part for months.  So no I do not judge; I would prefer he be sitting in the big part verses screaming / crying in the smaller seat...

He is a climbing monkey and its often the only way I can get him to go shopping is if I let him ride there vs the smaller seat.....

We don't move unless he is sitting. And if he wants to stand then he walks and pushes (what he does the other half of the time)
    my read shelf:
    Sara (smb+jab)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)  

BFP 8/23/11 natural m/c 9/7/11 @ 6w BFP 1/16/2012 C-section 9/16/2012 Health baby boy!
  • I've put DS in the front part before but he's only allowed to sit on his butt never stand. If he stands he put in the front with the buckle. I wouldn't judge a mom who has 2 kids going shopping and one's in the front. Our grocery stores have very limited amounts of 2 seater carts. You do what you have to do.

• bosha711bosha711 member
    edited September 2014
    harti09 said:

Buggy Bench. It's a lifesaver. I keep it in my car at all times because I can never find a double cart available. I get complemented on it every time. You loose some cart space, but it's worth it.

How cool! I've never seen that before!

I judge if the kid is acting crazy, not if they're sitting in there well behaved. I've never sat either of my kids in the big part, so can't speak on personal experience.

• bosha711bosha711 member
    edited September 2014
  • N thinks he is way to grown up to sit in the regular seat. So he either walks beside me and helps me push or he sits in the bigger part. I lose grocery space that way so it's not preferred.
    And that's only with 1- not sure what I'll do with 2 kids. I already prefer to go alone because its just so time consuming with him!

This. Ethan hates sitting in the front of the carriage now. It's a struggle every single time we go grocery shopping. It's tough chasing him with a cart full of groceries while I'm pregnant. Sometimes I admit I let him sit in the big part of the carriage. He has to sit on his bum though, always.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• bosha711 said:
    Buggy Bench. It's a lifesaver. I keep it in my car at all times because I can never find a double cart available. I get complemented on it every time. You loose some cart space, but it's worth it.

How cool! I've never seen that before! I judge if the kid is acting crazy, not if they're sitting in there well behaved. I've never sat either of my kids in the big part, so can't speak on personal experience.
    You'd totally be judging me then.

• No, and I don't care if people judge me because when I have done it, I am safe about it (eyes never leave the kid, stay by the cart at all times, no standing allowed.

A parent allowing their kid to stand........ I might think it's unsafe, but oh well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • You could baby wear your LO and keep your toddler in the seat? 
    Me: 27 DH: 28
    Diagnosis: PCOS, irregular cycles, old lady eggs. DH is fine.
    Started TTC in January 2010. BFP December 25, 2011 between IF appts. 
    DD born August 31, 2012
    Began TTC again in Jan. 2013. 
    Four rounds of Clomid - BFN
    Fifth round of Clomid September/Oct - cancelled
    HSG scheduled for Oct. 30 - Tubes all clear
    December: Round one of Femara  - BFN
    Round two - ? 

image image image
  • harti09 said:

Wow I've never seen that before..thanks!

Our Little Miracle
  • Good thing I didn't put a picture of Seany cart surfing on IG ;). Sean rides in the big part a lot. If I sit him up front, he climbs into the back. He stands a lot, too, but I usually don't move until he's sitting. Yes, that means that sometimes he's standing while I move. I know that's not good, but it happens. Also, I'm amazed some of you let your LOs walk. This is going to make me/Sean sound horrible, but if Sean was out he would run all over. I dont have time to try to force him to hold my hand and walk nicely through the store. He'd meltdown every two feet.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Eastie156 said:
    bosha711 said:

How cool! I've never seen that before! I judge if the kid is acting crazy, not if they're sitting in there well behaved. I've never sat either of my kids in the big part, so can't speak on personal experience.
    You'd totally be judging me then.
    If he's always sitting on his butt, like you mentioned above, then no, probably not.

• I never move while she is standing. I watched a kid stand and try to climb out in the 10 seconds his mother turned her head to pick something off a shelf and toppled the cart, pulling it down on top of himself and his older brother who was walking.

It was chaos. They were both slightly injured (bumps and bruises), but it could have been much worse. So if your moneky is moving around, I judge, but only because I have seen it end poorly. 

Also, just because I judge, doesn't mean I would ever say anything. 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • I'm in your situation too, since I think our kids have the same age gap.  I don't judge parents for putting their older kid in the cart, but I also don't do it myself.  I still wear Julia in the ergo and put Sophia in the cart, which is obviously not ideal since a 9 month-old is not exactly thrilled about facing me while I walk through the store, but it is what it is. 

I just have really come to appreciate stores that provide carts that can accommodate 2u2.  Target has carts that will hold 3 littles, which is amazing.  It's also annoying when the store provides carts for 2 children, but puts a sticker on it that you can't take it into the parking lot, as that kind of defeats the purpose of using it to cart both my kids and my groceries. 
  • I'm in your situation too, since I think our kids have the same age gap.  I don't judge parents for putting their older kid in the cart, but I also don't do it myself.  I still wear Julia in the ergo and put Sophia in the cart, which is obviously not ideal since a 9 month-old is not exactly thrilled about facing me while I walk through the store, but it is what it is. 

I just have really come to appreciate stores that provide carts that can accommodate 2u2.  Target has carts that will hold 3 littles, which is amazing.  It's also annoying when the store provides carts for 2 children, but puts a sticker on it that you can't take it into the parking lot, as that kind of defeats the purpose of using it to cart both my kids and my groceries. 
    Oh shoot, the store I went to actually ended up having a cart for 2 kids which was exciting..and I not only took it to the parking lot but I left it there..oops..wonder if there was a sticker on it..Oh well!

Our Little Miracle
  • There was this one day in Target where I would have let W hang out of the cart by her ankles if that meant we could make it out alive.  She was riding on the end of the cart (feet along rail) for a stint and I felt the eyes on me.  She was a MONSTER that day.

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • crene84 said:
    I'm in your situation too, since I think our kids have the same age gap.  I don't judge parents for putting their older kid in the cart, but I also don't do it myself.  I still wear Julia in the ergo and put Sophia in the cart, which is obviously not ideal since a 9 month-old is not exactly thrilled about facing me while I walk through the store, but it is what it is. 

Oh shoot, the store I went to actually ended up having a cart for 2 kids which was exciting..and I not only took it to the parking lot but I left it there..oops..wonder if there was a sticker on it..Oh well!
    Usually there's not a sticker... that was the first time I saw one.  Obviously because it's harder for employees to take those carts back in, but still- it defeats the convenience for parents of two young ones.  Most people ignored the sticker anyway- I ran the cart back in while my kids sat in my air-conditioned car... not sure which rule is the best to break sometimes. 

I would wheel that cart right out to the cart return. That's ridiculous.

• melody921 said:

I would wheel that cart right out to the cart return. That's ridiculous.
    Yuuuuuuuuuuuup.  Me three.

• I wouldn't judge, per se, but I also would be leery of that choice for my own kid and would worry about someone else's kid if he or she wasn't sitting carefully.  There's a reason you're not supposed to have kids in the basket--they can tip the cart and really hurt themselves, and we all know it can only take a second.

So, no, if that solution works best for you, I don't judge, but if you're asking "is this the best way to do this?" I say no, and better solutions like the Buggy Bench and wearing one kid have been mentioned.
  • I don't. Maya is allowed to sit in there as long as she sits on her bottom. It's really the easiest way to shop with two of them. I only judge when kids are standing up, leaning out, etc. because that's just dangerous.
    L is allowed to sit there is she stays seated. If she stands, even once, she is out.

This is what we do. If she stands, she sits in the seat and gets buckled in. It works for us.
    Aria September 18, 2012
    Baby Due April 17, 2015
  • There was this one day in Target where I would have let W hang out of the cart by her ankles if that meant we could make it out alive.  She was riding on the end of the cart (feet along rail) for a stint and I felt the eyes on me.  She was a MONSTER that day.
    Been there. L was riding along the back holding on. She also had her hands on the handle, feet on the bar under the basket. It was crazy, and much slower than if she had just walked. I do not enjoy those days!

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
  • Sawyer sits in the big part every time we go to Target. And eats pretzels back there. Sometimes one of the big kids sits back there with her.

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
    Been there. L was riding along the back holding on. She also had her hands on the handle, feet on the bar under the basket. It was crazy, and much slower than if she had just walked. I do not enjoy those days!
    We've had a lot of these days recently....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"