Special Needs
Options

SN parent networking group at your school?

Does your school have any clubs or networking groups for parents or children who are in SN programs? I've met a few of the other ASD moms through birthday parties and we've tried to maintain a little social group, but we'd really like to meet others in our little school. I spoke with our principal briefly and he suggested I meet with our school's parent liason to discuss. Before I meet with her I'd like to gather ideas about what these types of groups might look like. Talking with the few parents I know, we wouldn't necessarily use it as a group for our kids; all of our boys are HFA and we all agree it should be their choice if they want to be associated with a group like this. Us Moms have enjoyed getting together socially ourselves and with sometimes playdates with our kids. We all get varied accounts of what happens at school so we all find it helpful to share info. While it has been great meeting Moms at birthday parties, I'm frankly concerned that now in first grade DS won't be invited to as many parties like he was in kindy.

Thoughts? Do you have such a thing at your school, or have you seen this type of thing work or not work?

Re: SN parent networking group at your school?

• Options
    edited September 2014
    My message was going to come out twice so I deleted this one because I was not making sense.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    No such thing exists in our school. We have a PTO and volunteers. I was planning on volunteering this Friday afternoon but I am utterly scared and nervous.

I am apart of the state Autism Society and there are parents that know some things. Right now I don't think they are any help at the moment like they use to be. I have a hard time socializing and am introverted. I need people who love to talk.

I have heard from two people I know that there is such a rebel group that is against the school district. I am just curious about this group and wonder who would participate in this group. It is probably a bunch of parents that are unhappy because the schools don't actually follow the IEP's for their kids.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    No such thing exists in our school. We have a PTO and volunteers. I was planning on volunteering this Friday afternoon but I am utterly scared and nervous.
    Good luck! I was so terrified volunteering. Still am (first grade). I'm a worker bee- give me a task and I'll knock it out. But the volunteer stuff I was asked to do was more like "just be here in case we need you" while a group of 5 or 6 ran the whole thing. Very awkward. I need directions. Like mother like son I guess, heh.

I have heard from two people I know that there is such a rebel group that is against the school district. I am just curious about this group and wonder who would participate in this group. It is probably a bunch of parents that are unhappy because the schools don't actually follow the IEP's for their kids. I know of a district-wide SN parent advisory group but it seems pretty political. They have monthly meetings and vote and such- probably not my cup of tea. But I also feel compelled to at least try it. There are some Moms I talk to who complain about this that and the other but don't do anything about it- they've never been to PTA, or this advisory group, or even volunteered in the school. I totally get that many parents don't have time for this stuff, but I feel like you have to make an effort.

• Options

Good luck! I was so terrified volunteering. Still am (first grade). I'm a worker bee- give me a task and I'll knock it out. But the volunteer stuff I was asked to do was more like "just be here in case we need you" while a group of 5 or 6 ran the whole thing. Very awkward. I need directions. Like mother like son I guess, heh.

I can see that happening. My mom was one of those 5 or 6 and was at one time volunteer coordinator. I can see why she volunteered because she wanted to get to know the teachers and had 3 kids in elementary school when she started. She was a social butterfly also.

I on the other hand want to do it for those reasons but I want to feel that DS's school is a good school for him. I was down because I was scared that the start of the kindergarten year was going to be like the preschool. I am convinced I will hear what DS did as a surprise to his bad behaviors on Parent/teacher conference.

I work 40 hours a week so I will probably call in advance because it is across town and I want to save gas if the school has nothing for me.

I have heard from two people I know that there is such a rebel group that is against the school district. I am just curious about this group and wonder who would participate in this group. It is probably a bunch of parents that are unhappy because the schools don't actually follow the IEP's for their kids. I know of a district-wide SN parent advisory group but it seems pretty political. They have monthly meetings and vote and such- probably not my cup of tea. But I also feel compelled to at least try it. There are some Moms I talk to who complain about this that and the other but don't do anything about it- they've never been to PTA, or this advisory group, or even volunteered in the school. I totally get that many parents don't have time for this stuff, but I feel like you have to make an effort.

We have those kinds of parents in our Autism society. I got mad once because they choose not to do anything for their DS and they are SAHM's. I would so want to do something for DS if I was SAHM.

• Options
    We have a state-mandated district-wide special ed parent advisory council. They can look like social groups or action committees depending on the town. Ours is trying to scrape together a parent support group.
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • Options
    It is probably a bunch of parents that are unhappy because the schools don't actually follow the IEP's for their kids.

Some are like that, yes. The axe grinders don't get much accomplished.
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • Options
    Every student at Nate's school for the deaf is automatically on an IEP. Every parent can compare notes. I recently got more active with our PTCA. Here is an example of how many parents typically attend our meetings. Each parent who came to the meetings where elections were held is now an officer(4 officers)

Our school PTCA is a bit different than your community public school. For many parents, myself included, it is at minimum a 30-40 minute drive. Children coming from further counties live in the dorms. They are not used to parents coming or even having the energy to volunteer since just about everyone's child is in some sort of therapy.

In the three months I have been an officer my eyes have been opened to the sheer amount of paperwork, bullshit and effort put into the IEP process.

It would be a bit harder to be a SN parent involved in a typical PTO, but the teachers and staff here now know who I am. I would think that it could only benefit Nate in some way. They know I am invested in the work they do beyond my child's needs, and in turn I can advocate for Nate in another way.

If they see that you are willing to give a little extra, then they will too. Also, you can run into your child's teacher and get some undivided attention and conversation in a social way about how things are going in the classroom.
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"