TTC after 35
Options

Clomid

Trying clomid for the first time next month. Who has it worked for?

Re: Clomid

• Options
    Hi and welcome.  You might get more answers to this on pg > 35.  Some of us do already have children, but we're all obviously still trying this time around. :)
    *****Signature/Ticker Warning******

Me: 41, DH: 45
    DD, 6/15/2013
    TTC #2 beginning January 2014
    AMH 1.05; FSH range 7-11

July 2014: IUI #1.  Follistim + Pregnyl.  2 follicles--BFN
    September 2014: IUI #2.  Follistim + Pregnyl + Ganirelix + Crinone.  4(?) follicles--BFN
    October 2014: IUI #3.  More Follistim + More Ganirelix + Pregnyl + Crinone.  4 follicles--BFP!  Beta #1=10 Beta #2=33 Beta #3=97 Beta #4=158.  M/C 11/1/14
    December 2014: IVF #1.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  9R, 9M, 9F.  3 5-day blasts transferred 12/15. BFFN.
    April 2015: IVF #2.  Microdose Lupron protocol.  16R, 15M, 12F. Transferred 2 5-day blasts 4/12 and froze 4--BFP!  M/C 5/25/15
    August 2015: IVF #3.  14R, 13M, 11F.  Froze 5 blasts for CCS testing.  3 normals.  FET planned for 10/2015.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Ovulation Chart

• Options
    I've been on clomid for 4 cycles in the past, it made me ovulate but just never got pregnant! Good luck to you!
    Me: 37 DH: 37, married since Sept. 2013. "actively" TTC for a total of 13 months (after 7 months of TTC, took a 1 1/2 year hiatus due to work scheduling and wedding planning. Started up again after our wedding in Sept.) First evaluation by an RE November 2013

HSG-normal
    OH-tiny polyp found, but RE assured me she doesn't think it's contributing to infertility and doesn't recommend me to remove it because it's so small.
    DH's SA-normal
    Hormones all within normal levels
    Ovarian Reserve-RE says "is great" she's not concerned about my egg quantity (which I was until I saw her and results came back good!) 

04/2012 50mg Clomid=BFN (prescribed by OBGYN, not monitored)
    06/2012 50mg Clomid=BFN (prescribed by OBGYN, not monitored)
    11/2013 100mg Clomid, with HCG trigger=BFN (prescribed by RE, monitored with US (2 dominant follicles) and baseline bloodwork done)
    01/2014 100mg Clomid, with HCG trigger-(prescribed by RE, monitored with US-1 dominant follicle)=BFN
    06/2014 7.5mg Letrozole, HCG trigger (prescribed by RE, monitored with US-2 dominant follicles), IUI #1 on 7/3/14=BFN
    07/2014 7.5mg Letrozole, benched for IUI#2 this cycle, because I ovulated on my own before my follicular US. Progesterone suppositories=BFN Diagnosed with PCOS this month too. Testosterone levels high at 76. =( 
    08/2014 7.5mg Letrozole, HCG trigger with 19mm follicle. IUI#2 on 8/31 cancelled last minute due to family emergency. 
    09/2014 Taking a 3 month break starting this month. If not pregnant in 3 months, will start up again with medicated cycles and IUIs. Had all my labs and AFC re-evaluated this month also. RE says nothing much has changed since my eval last November, okay for me to take a little break. =) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I just finished my first cycle on 50mg of clomid for days 3-7.  All I can say right now (in my TWW) is that my ovaries were definitely swollen on both sides (left is my dominant one), I was super bloated and ovaries where achy.   No other side effects that I noticed. Then after I O'ed, it all went away.  I'm unmonitored, but my OB did all the blood tests, sperm test etc and everything came back normal, so then prescribed clomid.  I will have to go in for a CD21 blood test (I have a regular cycle).  So will wait and see.  I hope I get twins and get this over with LOL. 
    Me: 35, DH: 33
    TTC for first baby since 11/13
    Charting BBT
  • Options
    CML11CML11 member
    edited September 2014
    Just as @NariaDreaming‌ stated, Clomid is a serious medication that has A LOT of risks if you are taking it without being properly monitored.
    Have you had your HSG done? All the Clomid on Earth will not help you get pregnant if your tubes are blocked.
    Has your DH got his SA done?
    Have you had an ultrasound to check your uterine lining? Clomid will thin your lining, if you already have issues with thinning, then you could be doing permanent irreversible damage that could leave you unable to become pregnant.

I don't mean to scare you, just to inform you OBs hand out Clomid like candy. You should be seeing an RE who has the proper training in infertility that will monitor you properly.
    Hope this helped
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I know the risks of being unmonitored and I'm not scared.  And to answer your questions, yes, SA was done on DH - A++ to his swimmers, I've had a Transvaginal U/S prior to Clomid, all is normal, no signs of cysts, uterine lining fine.

I have not had an HSG yet, but if the first 3 cycles on Clomid don't work, then I will do one.

Obviously I'm not saying do it unmonitored, just saying that everyone needs to feel comfortable whether monitored or not and to understand the risks involved.

But I do thank you for worrying :)
    Charting BBT
  • Options
    I know the risks of being unmonitored and I'm not scared.  And to answer your questions, yes, SA was done on DH - A++ to his swimmers, I've had a Transvaginal U/S prior to Clomid, all is normal, no signs of cysts, uterine lining fine.

I have not had an HSG yet, but if the first 3 cycles on Clomid don't work, then I will do one.

Obviously I'm not saying do it unmonitored, just saying that everyone needs to feel comfortable whether monitored or not and to understand the risks involved.

But I do thank you for worrying :)
    Oh honey, you're doing things so backwards here you should be scared.  The HSG is supposed to be done BEFORE you start clomid, regular ultrasounds cannot detect tube blockages or uterine abnormalities - it's the dye and special nature of HSG that can do that.  You could have a blocked tube or tubes and taking all the clomid in the world won't help your situation, meaning you're wasting three of your lifetime max of 6 clomid cycles right off the bat.  That's scary, that a supposedly reputable doctor would recommend this!

imageimage

Married August 2012. Me: 41  DH: 42 
    Daughter from previous marriage: 20

BFP 12/19/12: Ectopic discovered at 8 weeks, right tube removed 01/18/13
    June 2013 Testing Results: Progesterone: 31.7, LH: 5, FSH: 5, Estradiol: 161
    Clomid cycles Nov. 2013 and Jan, Feb, and March 2014

TTC journey over as of the end of October 2014

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• Options

I'm not going to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do, but I am going to share my experience with Clomid. I did 2 rounds of Clomid after all proper testing. I did not get a BFP either time. What I did get was some serious ovarian cysts and a uterine lining of 0.1mm.... not cool. My doctor said no more clomid for me.

BabyFruit Ticker

image image

• Options
    Ladies, I am still comfortable with my decision.  The doctor did make the recommendation of doing the HSG first, I said no and she was okay with my decision as I pose a low risk for complications on clomid. 

Obviously there are reasons why some people may choose to do clomid before HSG...consider how much being monitored costs with all the U/S as well as an HSG.  

And as appreciative as I am with you ladies sharing your experiences, I also considered the facts, which no one has mentioned yet.  Only 8%-10% of people who go on Clomid get cysts (usually those who have had prior infections, scars etc) and 2% of all pregnancies are tubal pregnancies.  So I will take my chances and see what the results are after the first cycle.  
    Charting BBT
  • Options
    Ladies, I am still comfortable with my decision.  The doctor did make the recommendation of doing the HSG first, I said no and she was okay with my decision as I pose a low risk for complications on clomid. 

Obviously there are reasons why some people may choose to do clomid before HSG...consider how much being monitored costs with all the U/S as well as an HSG.  

And as appreciative as I am with you ladies sharing your experiences, I also considered the facts, which no one has mentioned yet.  Only 8%-10% of people who go on Clomid get cysts (usually those who have had prior infections, scars etc) and 2% of all pregnancies are tubal pregnancies.  So I will take my chances and see what the results are after the first cycle.  
    Well my loss in 2013 was ectopic, I had absolutely no prior infections, no scars, nothing to indicate I would have a blockage.   And I lost my entire right tube in the emergency surgery to save my life after an hour long sirens-on ambulance ride to the city.  Never thought it'd happen to me either, I had a textbook healthy pregnancy many years ago so assumed all was well with me, but apparently not.  I just can't believe an actual professional recommended to go ahead without the HSG.  That's why you should never to clomid with an OB, they are not actually qualified or trained for fertility work.  But I guess if you want to stick your head in the sand while you play truth or dare with your future fertility that's your problem I guess.  

imageimage

Married August 2012. Me: 41  DH: 42 
    Daughter from previous marriage: 20

BFP 12/19/12: Ectopic discovered at 8 weeks, right tube removed 01/18/13
    June 2013 Testing Results: Progesterone: 31.7, LH: 5, FSH: 5, Estradiol: 161
    Clomid cycles Nov. 2013 and Jan, Feb, and March 2014

TTC journey over as of the end of October 2014

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• Options
    daydreamernycdaydreamernyc member
    edited September 2014
    @IFinTN‌ and @gscoville‌ I will echo what you said. I'm usually on the infertility board but came around here and saw this posting. Now, everything is completely up to you and you dr. but in will share my story. I've been on 6 rounds of clomid and clomid is not fun. 

The 2nd cycle was successful but was ectopic. I had a horrible experience. It was caught before it ruptured so I went into surgery within hours of confirmation (not quite emergency but close) where they saved my tube but removed the pregnancy. Then for the next 2-3 weeks I was in considerable pain which I was told was just my body miscarrying. 

The sh*t hit the fan when I left work early because of cramping (again), was home and the woke up on the hardwood floor, alone and with a concussion. I couldn't stand and barely made it the the phone. Turns out I had been bleeding internally for over 2 weeks and lost half of my blood. Off to the emergency room where I had immediate surgery and blood transfusions to save my life. Just want to say that again, to save my life!

I'm not saying this will happen to you but rather sharing my story to provide context as to why this process is a serious process and you need the right support and monitoring. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    January & February: 2 IUIs, BFN
    March:  IUI, ectopic, 2 surgeries with 1 tube removed
    May - July: 3 more IUIs, all BFN, on to IVF
    August: IVF#1, BFN
    September:  FET#1, BFP!!!
    It's a girl!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

You've already had the lecture so I'll leave that part alone.

I tried clomid, I did not have any luck and had some bad side effects.  I also tried letrozole. I do not recall any side effects and it was very inexpensive.  I became pregnant on cycle 2, unfortunatley, I had a m/c but that is not related to the meds. The RE did monitor each cycle to avoid hyperovulation.

*Siggy Warning*

About me  2007: Started TTC. 2008: OB prescribed clomid, went to RE and was Dx with PCOS. 2009: IUI #1 w/follitsim and trigger = BFP. B/G Twins born at 33 weeks. 2012: TTC #3, Round 2 of Letrozole w/TI = BFP, missed m/c at 8 1/2 wks. Currently on the bench as we make plans for a new home. Anxious to start TTC #3 within the next year!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"