High-Risk Pregnancy

Question for the Type 1 Moms....

So I'm super stressed...the last month has been an absolute battle with my sugars and I am getting the point that I just don't know what to do anymore.  Of course this comes right on the heels of my endo going on about how proud and impressed she is at the level of control I was able to get to in such a short amount of time.. and bam!  Hello crazy insulin resistance!  I knew that this was the time it could start to show up (22 weeks today) but this is nuts!

I've all but cut any starch out of my diet because my body just isn't processing it so I'm going through massive cravings.  Even with that I'm adjusting and readjusting my basal and bolus rates every two days.  There just seems to be no consistancy with how my body is processing anything right now and I'm just ready to cry.  I'm super scared I'm going to really hurt my baby, I'm frustrated with myself and feel llike a total failure.  I'm debating cutting out fruits now too but I don't think I can do that restrictive of a diet for any length of time... my dietican is already not super excited about cutting out starchy foods but supports it because of what is going on with my sugars. 

Spent three hours on the phone on Friday with the nurse and my endo and even they don't know what to tell me to do because there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when and where my sugars are spiking.  One day I'll go high in the morning  but the next after eating the exact same meals at the same time I will crash.  It's completely insane!

Meanwhile I just want a bowl of ice cream and a day to sit on my couch and cry...:((

Any sage words of wisdom from those who have more experience than I?

Re: Question for the Type 1 Moms....

• @starla487 Thank you!  I was having a really bad day yesterday between work stress and diabetes.  LO was on track at the a/s... big but that is more due to DH's genetics then anything they are concerned with diabetes wise.

As for if the sugars are coming down... yes they are... most of the time.  I think I managed to fix the basal rate that was pushing my sugars up in the afternoon.  It's the post meal test at an hour that is stressing me out.  I'm so programmed to wait two hours post meal to check my sugars and I know that at an hour I tend to be a bit higher than they want me.  90% of the time when the 2 hour mark hits I'm basically right back where I should be. 

Thank you again for calming me down!

• Just keep doing the best you can. I am terrible at testing post pra dial.... Mainly because I forget. Even with the alerts on my pump. Hang in there. I am 21 weeks tomorrow and still waiting for the insulin resistance to start. Still having crazy lows. It's terrible.
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Highs are going to happen.  I also struggle with post-prandials.

One thing that's helped is to make sure I pair my carbs with protein.  Apple + PB, english muffin with an egg, etc.  It's helped. 

I also try to "Micro bolus" if I notice I'm creeping up to hopefully prevent it and prevent a crash later from rage bolusing.

This shit is hard, you are doing a great job. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks ladies... the last two weeks have been better.  I still have to be super careful with carb intake in the morning but I've found a bread from a local bakery that doesn't seem too play as much havoc on my post meal sugars. 

Also did a major readjust to my carb ratios with my endo at the last appointment and that seems to be working better now.  I did end up having to actually back off my lunch ratio a couple of days later... I never thought I would be so happy to have a low trend going!

Still stressed (which I am sure is not helping the sugars at all) but not as badly as I was. :)

• Not pregnant yet, but I've read just about every type 1 pregancy blog out there and one helpful one suggested prebolusing up to an hour before eating and said it really helped. Do your best!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"