January 2013 Moms

Confession: My 20 MO has a tan

I swear to god, I use  sunscreen, but DD has a freaking tan on her legs and even her face.  It drives me nuts, I don't want her to have skin damage before she's even 2!  Keep in mind both of us parents are of western European ancestry, white skin and freckles, so it's not like she's meant to have dark skin!  Anyone else?  
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Confession: My 20 MO has a tan

• DS is quite dark, despite the sunscreen and hat/shirts. DH tans and claims to never had a sunburn in his life because he just tans to a dark, dark color. I am so fair, even at the end of the summer, that I look ill next to my two tan guys!

I am glad you posted this because I was feeling guilty.
    IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP, DS born Jan 2013
    IVF/ICSI #2 - BFP, DD born Feb 2015
    IVF FET - BFP, due April 2017

• DS has a fantastic "farmer's tan" going on! They put sunscreen on him at daycare but take them out 2x a day, so I attribute it mostly to that. I also put sunscreen on him but we spend time outside on weekends and the tan is clearly noticeable!

BFP #1: 05/2012 DS born 12/30/12

BFP #2: 02/2014 Natural M/C 03/2014 @ 7 weeks

BFP #3: 06/2014 EDD: 02/17/2015 M/C @ 7w2d, D&E 7/15/14

• Loading the player...
  • Are toddlers not supposed to have a little tan? DS is very pale like his father but even with applications of sunblock and hats, etc he still has a little farmer tan going on.

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• jobiann said:
    Are toddlers not supposed to have a little tan? DS is very pale like his father but even with applications of sunblock and hats, etc he still has a little farmer tan going on.
    I guess I am feeling guilty because I did somehow believe that toddlers shouldn't have tans?  Not sure why exactly I believe that.  It is just impossible to keep her completely covered up all the time, especially during our endless drought-fueled California summers!  I am thinking her little legs get tanned through the car window since she is back-facing, even with sunscreen.
  • jobiannjobiann member
    edited September 2014
    jobiann said:
    Are toddlers not supposed to have a little tan? DS is very pale like his father but even with applications of sunblock and hats, etc he still has a little farmer tan going on.
    I guess I am feeling guilty because I did somehow believe that toddlers shouldn't have tans?  Not sure why exactly I believe that.  It is just impossible to keep her completely covered up all the time, especially during our endless drought-fueled California summers!  I am thinking her little legs get tanned through the car window since she is back-facing, even with sunscreen.
    I don't think you need to feel guilty about this. When I was little I'm pretty sure my parents never put sun block on me, just hats and shade cover from the trees. It sounds like you have taken many of the standard/extra precautions. Unless you keep her in the house, away from windows she is going to get some sun. Now, if you start putting her in a tanning bed I will have no issue flaming you for it! LOL, hugs Momma!

Anniversary

• OK, thanks for alleviating my guilt!

@jobiann - but would a spray tan be okay?  :)
  • Yeah, I figure we are already waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than our parents were with us as kids so while I'm sure it would be best for our kids to not have tans you are still sunscreening her and hell, we are all short on vitamin D nowadays too so you can't win either way... 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • OK, thanks for alleviating my guilt!

@jobiann - but would a spray tan be okay?  :)
    Even then, I'd have an issue holding my tongue....

Anniversary

• DD is half Indian, so I thought she'd get really dark this summer. She's got a little farmer's tan, too! She got her pale, Irish mama's skin, and I am religious about spraying her with sunscreen. I would rather she was a little tan than pasty from being inside all summer!
    Our little Samosa arrives in January!
  • DD has a farmers tan as well and she has fair skin so she is not like me in the tan department. We use sunscreen but spend a lot of time outside. She has never burnt so I call it good enough.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DD is crazy tan. DH is a little on the tan side, he's got some eastern european in him and it's just impossible to hide from the sun here but DD is always like 3 shades darker than any of the other babies.
  • DS has a farmers tan too! I put sunblock and hats on both of us when we go outside (since I am so pale/fair that if I'm outside for more than 15 min I start to burn - plus I never tan, just freckle). DS is more tan than I am. DH has some native american ancestry, and tans really easily, so I'm guessing that's where DS got his ability to tan. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• DS has a farmer's tan too. I swear I put sunblock on him!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I made it through the entire summer, then today it was supposed to be cool. when we went to ds's soccer game I brought hoodies and a scarf.

It ended up being sunny and hot and of course dd squeezed a squeezie pouch in her lap so I had to take her pants off. So her face and legs are all red. I'm so mad at myself!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • No judgement here @ReeceFamily. I get comments daily about DD's tan! We do use sunscreen, but she inherited my dark complexion. 

We just got back from a beach trip so now she's super tan and her light brown hair has bleached out blondish. I have to admit, it's pretty darn cute :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"