Babies: 6 - 9 Months

cries hysterically when placed in crib?

My LO is 6 months and used to fall asleep every night while nursing. I'd then put LO in his crib and go to sleep.

Now though he nurses and sometimes falls asleep. Sometimes he just stops and cuddles. Either way, though, when placed in his crib he will wake up and cry hysterically. No joke... like heart breaking tear streaming etc.

I have no idea why. It's out of no where!

I don't see any teeth breaking through.

Is it hight terrors? Separation anxiety?

It takes about an hour to calm him down once he starts crying. We have no idea what to do and I won't try CIO. It's not for me.

TIA!
Rachel (a.k.a. The Analytical Mommy.com and @analyticalmommy on IG)
I'm just trying to make sense of things :-) 

Re: cries hysterically when placed in crib?

• DS has been doing that here and there but it's usually gas I think. Also, if he falls asleep in my arms and then I put him down he gets scared and mad when he realises I'm not there. I've started putting him down when he's half asleep and patting his back till he sleeps and it seems to help but not every time
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS has been doing that here and there but it's usually gas I think. Also, if he falls asleep in my arms and then I put him down he gets scared and mad when he realises I'm not there. I've started putting him down when he's half asleep and patting his back till he sleeps and it seems to help but not every time
    this.  Sometimes, I rest my head on my arm on his crib rail pretending like i'm going to fall asleep with him.  I also noticed he's a side sleeper, so every time I lay him down, its sideways.  He wakes up and freaks out if I try laying him on his back.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks everyone! We had two nights that I thought were going to break me. It was like having a new born again. We finally put him back in his baby merlin sleep suit. That seemed to help a bit.

I also noticed that if I confined to hold him at night he'd nurse to sleep around 8 and then wake up around 9 to nurse again and then fall sleep around 10. If I put him in his bed around 8 he stayed asleep until 3am!
  • He might have been over tired.
  • Can you imagine going to sleep all cuddled up and then suddenly being somewhere different without the person you were cuddling? That would jolt me awake! Unless you're ok with coming back at every waking to reassure and cuddle to sleep, baby will have to start going to sleep differently. Start with getting him to very drowsy through your normal bedtime routine, then tell him goodnight and put him in bed. If he fusses, sooth him with your voice and touch, then leave. He may surprise you and go right to sleep, or it may take some practice and reassurances, but he will learn to go to sleep on his own. That will improve subsequent waking too, since there are no surprises when he stirs and is right where he started. 

My guy still protests sometimes when he's put in bed, but by time I'm out the door he's almost always over it and either on his way to dreamland or having a last chat with his lovey before nodding off. 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"