July 2014 Moms
Options

Does LO have a "nursing tubercle" or blister on his/her lip??

I can't quite remember when I noticed it, but LO has this blister on her lip and I kept telling DH and my mom that it was a blister and they both kept assuring me it's just her lip. Well, I went to Dr. Google a few days ago and it is totally a blister (saw pictures that looked just like LO's lip, it's barely noticeable but as a FTM i over examine everything)! But, Dr. Google assures me that it's very common and is from the sucking on the bottle/breast and it's almost callus like - and will eventually go away. I'm not concerned, just curious.

"Many newborns develop a nursing tubercle or blister from vigorous sucking on a bottle or breast. In some cases, the blister is present at birth because of thumb-sucking in the womb. A sucking callus causes no discomfort to your baby. In fact, the overgrowth of skin stiffens the lip and may make grasping the nipple easier. The callus will disappear on its own in a few months, or it might come and go from day to day."

Does your LO have a blister on their lip? STMs did any of your previous kids have this blister and do you recall when it went away? 
[ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]

Re: Does LO have a &quot;nursing tubercle&quot; or blister on his/her lip??

• Options
    My DS used to get it when he nursed it would fall off and his lip was fine, didnt seem to bother him any. It doesn't happen now that hes using bottles though, but it doesn't seem to be a big deal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine had one. Went away in a day or so. And agreed with PP that it didn't seem to bother him.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yup, LO has had two of them, they fall off on their own but when it starts to separate I want to rip it off soooo badly.
    imageimage

Alexander - 8/9/14
  • Options
    That's so interesting that your LO's are falling off!! My LOs - as far as I can tell hasn't fallen off and has been there a while.. unless i'm not noticing it coming off lol
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Options
    My little guy has one.it comes and goes
    image.
  • Options
    Yep. I think all of mine have had it. It goes away eventually.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Mine has them. They havent fallen off ever. I was warned about them during our prenatal classes at the hospital so I didnt bother to worry :-)
  • Options
    Yup. Mine still has it. It's popped a couple of times. Just from the rubbing.

• Options
    Yes. She has had a couple and they eventually fall off.
    hi

• Options
    All four of mine did. It looks painful but does not seem to bother them.
  • Options

Mine has one lining his whole bottom lip and one on top in the middle. They haven't fallen off but my pedi said it's totally normal. They are just caused by sucking.

This exactly! He has a very strong suck... Not sure they are ever going to go away while nursing.
  • Options
    My DD has one and my LC consultant said it was because she had to suck so hard due to her tongue tie.
  • Options
    My guy has had his since he was days old.  I asked the NICU nurses and they said it was just a blister from the bottle and not to worry.  He's over 3 months now and the same one is still there.  It doesn't bother him, so I just let it go.
    //

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

::formerly csmith - regular/lurker since Nov13:: 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"