Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Looking for ideas to baby proof stairs

Hi all, 
I have been thinking of a way to increase the safety of the stairs from the living space to the garage. My daughter is now very mobile and I fear that she would eventually roll the stairs if one was to leave the door open.
There is a door leading to the stairs that remains closed most of the day, when we are not going to the car, doing laundry, etc... We always close the door behind us but we are worried about the event of door not shutting properly or guests leaving it open.

I did look into safety gates, but it can't be the ones where one needs to step over as would increase risk of tripping. I did buy one that opens completely, but would have to open inward. You can see the picture attached. The issue is that many times we are coming up from the garage with baby in hand, it becomes very difficult, and riskier, trying to take a few steps back on the stairs to be able to open the gate.

Do you guys think of other solutions?

I thought about: 
- Putting a spring door closer. Risk if it shuts on the little ones hands. 
- Putting some kind of electronic sound or a discreet alarm that would say something like "close the door" or at least make a sound 
- And just putting a little paper/plaque on the door and on the wall in front of stairs saying "remember to close door shut"

What do you guys think? Other ideas?

Thanks so much

Re: Looking for ideas to baby proof stairs

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"