May 2014 Moms

EBF mommas: fast flow nipples/oz?

My daughter was collapsing and chewing on her bottle nipples so we went up go fast flow nipples yesterday. Daycare also said she is now fussing at the end for more as well. She is at daycare about 8-9 hrs a day and drinks three 4-oz bottles. So I think I am going to go up to 5oz but afraid she is just drinking faster now therefore not knowing she is full? Or is 5oz of BM about what your 4mo old is drinking? Also she is a big baby..guessing 18-20lbs already!!! Thoughts?

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: EBF mommas: fast flow nipples/oz?

• How long does it take her to finish the bottle? My dd is 3.5 months old and takes two 4 oz bottles. One for her bedtime feeding and her motn feeding. A lot of people will recommend paced feedings. Kellymom is where I got my info for that. It does help make them realize when they are full and gives time for their tummies to realize there's food in there. I noticed my dd would eat and eat no matter what the flow was from the bottle because we were just letting her drink at her pace. But slowing it down helped her a lot. She's been taking 4 oz now for over a month and seems to be a good amount for her.
  • apinkpelicanapinkpelican member
    edited September 2014
    FWIW Mine is 3.5 months. I prepare 4oz bottles of BM for daycare and for 3 bottles this week she was still hungry so they gave her 2 more oz. a total of 6 oz! Baby girl is growing. Still in the Dr Brown level 1 nipple
    ETA: we supplement 1-2 bottles/day so not EBF anymore but not sure it makes a difference here
  • Loading the player...
  • My 3 month old uses a nuk medium flow and eats about 5 ounces of bm every 3 hours or so at daycare. She wouldn't use the slow flow at all. She also hates all other nipples and will just chomp them.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DD is almost 4 months. I just moved her to dr. Brown level 2 nipples. She eats three 4-5 oz bottles while at daycare from 7:30-4.

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image

• We are still using slow flow nipples. He takes 4oz every two hours from 7am to 7pm (total of 7 feedings daily). If he wakes at night he gets 2oz.
      BabyFruit Ticker image
  • We still use slow flow at 16 weeks. The sitter likes Medela when he is with her because they flow faster. They were too fast when he was smaller. I'm just too cheap to buy all new nipples. We send 2 4oz bottles when he is with her 8-1. She started giving 5oz and I asked her not to because he was still eating as often as he did with 4. I think it was too much. I explained to her that he will keep sucking because he just loves to suck and if you take it out, he is content with 4oz.
  • @Jcrewgirl85‌ why did you move her up to the level 2? Is it an age thing or was she unhappy with the level 1? Wondering if I need to switch. It's hard to know because most of her bottles are at daycare!
  • My bottle nipples say stage 2 are for 1mth and up.
    I supplement with formula and for formula bottles he drinks 6 oz and just turned 3 mths. When I pumped he always took the same amount of breast milk. He is a piggy since he was born and that's why we added formula to begin with. He is on the bigger side. He is 16 lbs now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"