Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Sleep Question

My baby is almost 11 weeks and I have a question about naps.  She won't nap unless I'm holding her.  She doesn't really sleep well at night either so has been having meltdowns a couple times a day from being over tired.  My question is.. at this point would it be more important to just hold her so she can get the sleep she needs or keep trying to put her down (and she only sleeps for like 5 minutes) so she doesn't get used to being held all the time to sleep?

Re: Sleep Question

• My daughter is about a week older than yours. What are you doing when you hold her? Do you sway or rock her? My crazy girl Loves any kind of motion and sleeps easily with it. Not so much without.

I would try either something that swings or something that vibrates. She has a monkey seat that vibrates and plays nature noises. I guess it feels like she's being held so after she "talks" to the monkeys hanging from it she falls asleep for a while. Same thing with her swing at daycare.

Does she scream or just not sleep? DD doesn't like certain rooms at certain times of day she gets really scared. Maybe try moving nap time to another spot?
  • I'm not swaying or rocking at all, she just likes to sleep on my chest on her stomach and the minute I put her down on her back in the swing or anywhere else she wakes up a few minutes later sometimes screaming sometimes just waking up.. but then is a mess later because she doesn't get any sleep.
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you tried letting her nap on her stomach in her crib? I know its not recommended now, but she might just be a stomach sleeper. As long as your awake to watch her it might work.

My daughter was the same way with wanting to be held to sleep. We taught her to sleep on her own in the monkey because of the whole vibrate/ hold combo and later figured out her bed just wasn't comfy. One of her blankets under a sheet in her pack n play and she transitioned over easily with swaddling

I agree with holding her if all else fails but I also know how frustrating and exhausting it is. If it doesn't bother you then hold her, if that doesn't feel right keep trying different things til you find what works for you. Eventually you'll find a happy solution.

Good luck!
  • My son did that. We have a similar vibrating/rocking monkey seat and a bassinet. At first he would only sleep in my arms. So, I wore a shirt for 2 days and wrapped the chair in the shirt so it smelled like me. Then I started rocking him to sleep in my arms and then placing him in the chair. If he stirred, I'd rock his chair till he passed out. I would often have to pick him back up and repeat the process a few times till it stuck but now he loves his chair.
  • We use the bouncy chair on vibrate for times when DD won't nap. If I put her in it asleep she usually wakes up but within a few minutes or so she falls back asleep. However as soon as the vibrate turns off she wakes up, so u have to be quick on the button!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

Oct 16/13. BFP @ 11 dpo

Oct 21/13. Beta 360 @ 16 dpo

Oct 23/13. Beta 749 @ 18 dpo

Nov 24/13. Saw HB (141bpm) & baby wiggle around via ultrasound @ 9w5d due date changed to June 23!!

Dec 6/13. Heard HB (122bpm) via Doppler at OB @ 11w3d

Jan 9/14. Heard HB (124bpm) via Doppler at OB @ 16w3d irregular beat

Jan 29/14. DH felt kicks for first time @ 19w3d

Feb 2/14. Saw baby via ultrasound (quick scan in ER) @ 19w6d

Feb 6/14. Heard HB (126-134bpm) via Doppler @ 20w3d normal beat

Feb 15/14. AS - baby looked great (measured 1w small) and would NOT let us see sex! @ 21w5d 

Feb 20/14  3D US - its a GIRL!!!!! @ 22w3d

Feb 27/14. Repeat AS for more pics, HB 124bpm  @ 23w3d

Mar 6/14. Heard HB (130bpm) via Doppler @ 24w3d

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers  

• My LO is the same way.  He's 4 months old now, and he still only gets good naps if I'm holding him.  At DC he naps in his crib.  Go figure.  I just make sure I've got a glass of water and a good book, and enjoy the snuggles.
  • emslade982emslade982 member
    edited September 2014
    Keep trying putting her down when she's 90% asleep. She will eventually sleep for longer stretches. You can try using a nap time song or just shushing to ease the transition as well as a lovey. I had the same problem with my LO. He will now sleep in h is bouncy seat for decent 30-45 minute naps most of the time. But I do love those nap time snuggles in my arms. I will miss those when he gets bigger.
    Married 9/17/11 BFP 10/5/13 DS Oliver Stephen born 6/11/14 via C-section 8 lbs 9 oz BFP 8/14/15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"