Babies on the Brain
Options

doula or midwife?

Hey ladies I'm new to this app and TTC in general. Me and my boyfriend are planning to start TTC in January and just wanted some feedback on whether or not I should have a doula or midwife .

Re: doula or midwife?

• Options
    Certified Nurse Midwives are general pregnancy care providers just like an OB would be. My pregnancy was monitored by a team of CNMs and I delivered in a hospital. When parts of my pregnancy were deemed "higher risk", (and thus outside of the scope of midwifery care) I saw a maternal-fetal medicine practice as well. But in a normal, healthy, low risk pregnancy there wouldn't be a reason for that. A CNM could care for your entire pregnancy and deliver your baby.

A doula is a labor coach/childbirth educator. I didn't have one of those, but many women do with very good results.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Options
    leela02leela02 member
    edited September 2014
    What everyone else said about midwives. They can take care of your pregnancy instead of an OB except when there is a medical complication that must be managed by a doctor.

Doulas on the other hand can't make medical decisions or perform medical exams/procedures. Their job is to give you continuous emotional and physical support during labor. They can also help you prepare for childbirth by teaching/practicing coping techniques and helping you research a birth plan. You don't need a doula but having one can be comforting and helpful if you find a doula whose approach and personality you get along with.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"