School-Aged Children
Options

Bad bump on the head at school

My kindergartener slipped and fell on a wet floor in the bathroom at school today and hit the back of her head on the floor. No one was with her. The aide took her to the health room. They called me (thank goodness) just to inform me, basically, and didn't suggest I pick her up or anything. I drove to school to take a look at her head and she has a GIANT bump--biggest one ever--at the very back of her head that is also bruised and blood-blistery (almost bleeding) at the center. It's really bad.

I am upset at the way this was handled, mainly that they just sent her back to GYM CLASS, and that they didn't really let me know how bad it was over the phone, and that her teacher had not even been informed yet as they were on their way to gym when the incident happened. Only an aide knew what had happened and even the gym teacher did not know. I am wondering if other schools have more of a formal head injury process, or what other schools would have done. I feel like they should have encouraged me to pick her up and not released her back to class.

I called her doctor and they said to pull her out and give her IB and rest at home, and of course just watch for concussion. She seems FINE, thank God, but I can't believe they just sent her back to class and especially gym class without telling anyone and with a giant egg on her head. What if she had fallen again in gym? Or started showing concussion signs at school?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Bad bump on the head at school

• Options
    Wow, I'm glad she's okay. I would be pissed, and I hope that our school would have handled it differently. I know our preschool would have called and had me come get her. DD1 had a head bump at school when she was in pre-k, and they called me right away. They filled out an incident report and called us at home later that evening to see how DD was doing.
  • Options

We had a similar issue in 1st grade.  DS was out on playground playing during PE.  He ran into a piece of equipment and he said he was knocked to the ground and his glasses flew off.  He made it sound like he could have been knocked out, but he didn't know for sure.

I was not notified by the school.  The PE teacher didn't even send him to the nurse.  I picked DS up from school and he was complaining of a headache.  Once home, we was dry heaving.  He told me what occurred.  I took him to the ER.  He had a CT which was negative, but they said he did have a concussion. 

I spoke with PE teacher about how happened and that I should have be informed.  I also talked with the school RNs and they were very surprised and upset that the PE teacher didn't send DS to them.  They had *just* had a big inservice with all staff regarding head injures and concussions.

I'm sorry your DD got hurt.  I'd call and talk to the teacher directly about it and take it up the chain of command if needed.

Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

That's when you drive straight to the ER or Urgent Care!  I learned ALWAYS trust your kid's story over the school's...   

IMO, you log this one down and if there's ever a similar incident you find a new school. This is a warning sign. With DD, she's not exactly the most coordinated kid, one winter she fell off a piece of playground equipment and had bilateral bruising and the school was like "nbd" - bilateral bruising is often a symptom of skull fractures - which we were hypervigilent of because DS had just gotten out of the hospital a month earlier from one (he slipped/wiggled off of DH's arm and fell - honest accident)..  The school said "she slipped on ice" - which was complete BS - because we had no snow, thus no ice that winter!  It ended up being a concussion, but still, the school just brushed it off.  We had some other issues going on at that school too and ended up moving her - couldn't be happier!  Any time she goes to the nurse's office there's either an immediate email or call.  Doesn't matter how "silly" of a reason. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm glad she's ok!

No personal experience, but I would expect that the child be taken to the nurse.  The nurse would check child out, apply ice, and call a parent.  Definitely not appropriate to send the child back to gym class.

Agree with Fredalina that tylenol is safer than ibuprofen.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"