April 2015 Moms

Grandparent Names

2»

Answers

• My MIL wants to be called "Lynnie". her name is Lynn.

I am all for grandparents choosing what they want to be called but I be damned if my kids call their grandmother by her first name. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but to me that's disrespectful, whether she's cool with it or not.

Am I overreacting? lol

the weird thing is that she is already "Lola" to my husband's nephews...a name she picked out because she said it's Irish and seemed to love it. Why the change of heart with our kid....? Just kinda weird to me.

Me-24~~ DH-25~~Married 6/15/2013~~Pregnant with our first due April 2, 2015~ Septate/ Bicornuate/Arcuate /some kind of not-normal uterus- won't know for sure which one till after babe is born~~Hoping for a full term baby!

BabyFetus TickerWorkout Row Flip Fail.gif

• We are French so my mom was supposed to be memere but my son who was the first grand kid pronounced it as Mimi and it stuck. My dad is Grampy/Grumpy.
  • Loading the player...
  • This has started to come up with my mil. We put a simple announcement up on Facebook (so that my mil wouldn't beat us to it) and in the comments she wrote that she is now taking grandparent name suggestions. Husband and I have told her that we are going to go with grandma and grandpa to start out and if baby chooses something else that will be what they are called. She hasn't been listening to us so we will see how that goes. I'm afraid she will want to be called granmumma or something stupid like that, that is too close to mommy. My husband said next time time she brings it up he is going to tell her that her name is going to be old hag. Lol
  • We haven't discussed this yet. I have a feeling both sets of grandparents are going to be fine with whatever the kid can muster :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I used to call mine nan and pop. I expect my kids to do the same , but probably the same as we did , we had a nan and pop that lived in different towns, so they were highclair nan (she lived in highclair ) and quoiba pop.. My mum will say something silly like when my sister was pregnant , she said she wanted to be nanny neen... And as she was their only nan (and is this time too) I will insist that this does not happen. She's just trying to be trendy.
  • My mom has already chosen "glam-ma" everyone who has heard about hates it but I think it's totally fits her personality lol
  • My inlaws want to be grandma deb and grandpa chuck and my parents want to be noni and poppop
  • I feel kind of bad for my mom because my MIL was the first grandmother when my niece was born and she goes by Nana. Now we refer to both her and my mom as Nana to our dogs and they know who we're talking about. My mom really doesn't want to be Nana but she also can't decide on what name to choose so I think in the end she will become Nana by default because we are used to the name.
  • We let the grandparents pick.  We have a Grandma & Grandpa, and Nana & Pop.  We never did the kid picking their name thing, just like any other word, eventually they learn to say it right (my 14 month old can already say Grandma, but oldest struggled and ghhmama for awhile.)  Growing up I had two Grandmas, it wasn't confusing at all.  My dad's mom we just referred to as "Grandma Lastname" when she wasn't around, that being said she's never been very active in our lives, so it wasn't a big deal.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"