Special Needs

If your child is in ABA therapy?

Ok... what kind of feedback do you get daily from the BCBA?

Ezra has been in 3 days a week all day ABA therapy since March and I swear, I have no idea what they do.  Like, I've gotten one update on his vb-mapp (i think thats it) and i swear, all they say is "oh, he had a good day"...

I KNOW I need to be more proactive in asking each day, but I'm just wondering what the norm is...

And also... does your child get speech during ABA therapy?   I haven't been seeing much progress at all in the speech, and thats so hard... he's been in early on speech for 1.5 years... :-(
Rylee - 3.28.08
Malakai - 8.3.09
Ezra - 12.1.11 ASD

Re: If your child is in ABA therapy?

• Our out patient program I got a weekly report with working on/mastering/homework current full day 2 day a week program I get a daily sheet which covers what DTTs they ran, amount of success for each goal they ran, over all report of the day (she really enjoyed X, had a tough time with Y, loved her lunch, etc) if they are doing VB-Mapp speech goals are part of the program but not necessarily in the same way as ST.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • typesettypeset member
    edited September 2014
    Our IEP specifies a daily home log ("to help with recall"). We also a have a clinic meeting with the BCBA and his primary ABA aide once a month for an hour listed in his service delivery grid. Outside the IEP, I can e-mail or call any time and hear back within a day. In EI, we had daily communication via a log and the monthly clinic.

Our district deals with social pragmatics through ABA, so they do a weekly skills lesson. I'm not thrilled about how they approach it. ABA is great for scripts and manners, not conversational give and take. If he had articulation, expressive, or receptive issues, they'd be handled by a CCC-SLP.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • Loading the player...
  • You can get ABA to work on speech in EI, but they won't unless you make it a priority. What are your IFSP goals in that area?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • greyt00greyt00 member
    edited September 2014
    I don't get daily feedback from the BCBA.  We get a daily sheet that briefly describes what he did in each session and he gets a rating on his behavior and responsiveness.  Occasionally, I don't get a daily sheet, and sometimes they are incomplete.  However, they put all the stats in a web site that I have access to, including counts for non-compliance and other behaviors.  I look at that daily.  I have a monthly meeting with the BCBA and we are in touch via email as needed.  Mostly we discuss his feeding which has been #1 priority since he started.  He is doing well with that so I probably need to start paying more attention to some other areas.  His feeding stats (they made an awesome spreadsheet with charts in it) are emailed to me every week.

There are no licensed SLPs in the program (though I've been told for the past year that they want to hire one) but they work on speech somewhat.  His has been coming along nicely.  They are working a lot on socializing with peers. 

• abigail912abigail912 member
    edited September 2014
    My son goes to ABA Mon-Fri from 9-4.  Every morning his therapist ask how his night was, did he sleep well, eat breakfast, have a BM yet.  Then at pick up the therapist talks about what they worked on, how well he ate, napped and always tells me how many wet and dirty diapers he had.  He also a daily log book that goes back and forth.  He started about two months ago and I have had one sit down meeting with the therapist and BCBA to review the VB-mapp.  He does get pulled out 30 minutes a week for speech but I never see his SLP or get speech updates. 
  • DD only goes 3 hours a day, 3 days a week and my husband goes for at least half of each appointment and works with them or just observes. I know that is not the norm, he works third shifts so that one of us can be actively involved. They keep me in the loop by writing me notes in a communication notebook, or occasionally doing videos. I also email our BCBA if I ever have questions. We sit down quarterly to discuss progress and goals with the BCBA.
  • My son goes 2 hours a day 5 days a week.  They keep notes in a binder that stays in our house.  I can also email/text the supervisor.  She tries to sit down with us about once every few months and goes over progress/goals.  i still feel confuse about what they do though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"