2nd Trimester
Options

Baby's kidney is dilated in ultrasound

Advice and encouragement WELCOME!  :)

I'm a serious worrier. I know it won't help anything but it's in my DNA.  SO, at my 19 week ultrasound to determine sex and get regular measurements of the baby, we found out that we're having a girl (yay!! 2nd girl!!) and we also found out at my follow up OB appt that one of the baby's kidneys was slightly dilated (enlarged).  It was slight but I was advised to have a follow up ultrasound in 3-4 weeks, which happened today. I am 6 months pregnant today.  Baby is growing great and is right on target.  They were able to get some good photos that they couldn't get the first time because of her position but today was better.  Good brain photos, heart photos, diaphraghm photos, etc.  But, when they mentioned that the enlarged kidney (still slightly dilated) could be an indicator of Downs Syndrome, I panicked.  NOT because I'm bothered by it at all.  But because I'm worried about my baby's health, etc.  I just want it all to be ok.  BUT, she did say that she didn't see anything else that would alert them....so I guess it'd be a soft indicator- no hard evidence to show that downs syndrome is the outcome.  I cannot do amniocentesis because I'm too far along and it can cause miscarriage- plus, I didn't want to do it at all early in my pregnancy.  But, I was told that I can do a blood test that is not harmful to myself or the fetus.  I feel guilty for wanting to know.  But it won't change anything, so why do it?  I'm confused.

I'd love some advice from anyone who has experienced any of this and was curious if it's something that will resolve itself.  I freaked out this morning but I've come around and calm down.  I love to hear from ALL of you and would appreciate the encouragement.

Thank you in advance.  :)

Re: Baby's kidney is dilated in ultrasound

• Options
    I don't think you should feel guilty about wanting to know and be prepared. Fx everything works out!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am so sorry to hear you going through these emotions. For what its worth, I decided to get the blood test and the reason behind doing so was because if there was something genetically wrong with our baby such as downs I would want to know so I can read as much as I could. I would like to be prepared. Don't feel guilty because your thinking of getting this test done. Its non invasive and it could better prepare you and your baby for the future.  :-bd
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had this with my son but the MFM dr never correlated it with Down syndrome.  I was told it was a urological issue hydronephrosis.  It was discovered at my 20 week ultrasound so I went back at 36 weeks for another and it was still present. After he was born he had an ultrasound at about ~10 days old and they decided to just monitor it. He had another at 3 months and 9 months and a VCUG ( measures reflux from bladder to kidneys). It has remained stable and not worsened so he goes for his next ultrasound in dec and has been referred to a urologist. Best case scenario I was told he would just need to be monitored through his life and worse case he would need minor surgery to correct it

If you are concerned with the possibility and can do the blood test I would say do it. Better to be prepared than not. .
  • Options
    Is it something called Pyelactasis ?  If so my son had it and the Doc said it is very common.  Yes it is a very very soft marker for DS, but he didn't recommend any further testing.  

By the time I was 34 weeks the issue resolved itself.
  • Options
    i second what @disneygeek77 said... I had the blood test early into pregnancy and it was negative for downs... my baby girl's kidneys were slightly dilated so they sent me to the high risk ob/gyn... they did an u/s at 26 weeks and will do a repeat at 32 weeks. She told me that the size considered "normal" for kidneys changes from 4mm to 7mm that late in the pregnancy... Something to consider, but either way I wouldn't worry yourself over it, they said it is very common and normally not a big deal (haha... as i say that i laugh at myself because i panicked when she told me).  And there is nothing wrong with being prepared. Good luck!

**siggy warning**

Me: 30 dx w/PCOS 7/13

DH: 31
    TTC 11/12
    started Metformin 9/13
    HSG, tubes open but narrow uterus... f/u with RE 3d u/s everything 'normal'
    2/14: hopefully 1st IUI... timing off before trip, waiting until 4/14
    3/27: POAS= BFP!!!
    3/28: beta#1: 108
    4/2: beta#2: 799
    4/11: u/s 6w1d EDD 12/4, 1 little penguin!

7/7:  We're having a girl!
    12/11: after lots of labor/delivery/nicu excitment baby Piper Mae born 1859 @ 8lbs, 21.5"

• Options
    I also had this at my 20 week ultrasound and at 28 weeks I will be following up as well. My Doctor never mentioned it as a possible down syndrome sign. He said it was something called Kidney Reflux and he sees it a lot. He said he wasn't concerned and he didn't want me to be either. He said if they are still dilated at 28 weeks they just say you should alert your pediatrician so they can watch for Kidney infections and stuff. Most of the time it corrects itself before birth but if it doesn't a lot of times it will be corrected by the age 5. 

If I was you I wouldn't be too worried. I know its hard not to be but if everything else looks good on the baby chances are its going to be just fine. 

Of course maybe your doctor is seeing something different then mine did BUT I am guessing its the same thing. Like I said my doctor says its VERY common and not to be worried about it. My baby was also just in the mild rating by a few points. 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Samuel Jacob 
    Due 2/16/17

• Options
    Why feel guilty about wanting to know? the truth is, having a child with a disability is hard. there is a lot that goes into it. Knowing now will give you time to prepare, adjust and get things in place for when they come
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"