January 2015 Moms
Options

vent...prenatal screening

Just got back from my first OB appointment where I was told that I missed the window for prenatal screening being that I'm over 21 weeks. I've been seeing my family doctor for my prenatal appointments every 4 weeks up to this point and she didn't mention this at all! I'm so pissed off. This is my second pregnancy and I should have noticed but my Dr should also have mentioned it!

My OB did say that I could pay for the screening now but it would be around $700!! This would have been covered if I had done it literally last week! (Canada over here). I'm so torn, I'm in a super low risk category and ultrasounds are normal, so the chances are slim that there is an issue. With that being said if a condition was found in the screening then I would consider terminating...so do I pay for the testing now...or roll the dice.
Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: vent...prenatal screening

• Options
    I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I would be very upset that she didn't mention it within the time frame that it would have been free of cost to you.

Is there any way that you can push for
    The office to cover the cost, since she didn't make you aware of the window of opportunity? I would try to pursue that route first of all.
  • Options
    This happened to me with the Nuchal scan...  The doctor's office scheduled me for it at 13 w 5 days and when I went the the appointment and they did the u/s, my baby was measuring 14 weeks, too late for an accurate NT.  So they gave me the option to come back for the quad screening instead, which I will be doing next week at 20 w 4 days.  Now I just looked it up and read that it's normally done between 16-18 weeks...wth  Hoping they don't tell me the same thing next week because they were the ones that scheduled it for me both times!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry that this happened. I agree with PP said about speaking to your doctors office about it and the possibility of them covering the cost.

If you do decide to go for testing at this point in your pregnancy, the likelihood of receiving false positives is significantly higher. If your ultrasounds are good then you may just want to skip it. You should do what you feel is right but this something to keep in mind.

Pregnancy TickerimageBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    When I was still seeing a Gen. Practioner they ordered the screening tests for me even though I'm low-risk. If I were you I would push to get the tests done and covered. Your caregiver should have ordered the tests, or at the very least informed you so you could decide. 

At this point it may be out of the hands of your OB/caregiver so you may have to write your local MLA office - my sister used to work for an MLA and they dealt with a lot of medical reimbursement/coverage issues. They were often able to help! 

I really hope that they get that test covered for you so you can have some peace of mind!

@mamasaurus As I understand it, here in Canada you may terminate for medical reasons past the usual 12 week cut-off. 
  • Options
    I don't mean this to sound judgmental - I believe everyone has their right to choose - I am just wondering if it's even legal to terminate after 22 weeks? I thought at that point abortions were illegal since some preemies have survived at that age outside the womb.

Personally I would wait it out at this point, but that's me. I would also want to talk to the doctor's office in depth about why the testing didn't come up sooner.
    It varies by state.  MA is after 24 weeks.
    BFP #1 09/26/2013 EDD 06/04/2013 MMC 11/01/2013
    BFP #2 05/15/2014 EDD 01/24/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    You can have an elective abortion up to 24 weeks in canada but it's hard to find a doc who will perform one after 20 weeks. Abortions are not limited at all by criminal law in canada thankfully, but they ARE limited by the Health Act
  • Options
    Terminating for medical reasons is completely different and as a PP stated, laws vary state to state.

"As long as I live you will live. As long as I live you will be loved."

BFP#1 3/31/12 EDD 12/1/12,No HB 6/6/12 (14 weeks 4 days), D&C 6/11/12 (15 weeks 2 days)*Arabella Ann*

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP#2 5/21/14 EDD 1/27/15 *GROW BABY GROW*

• Options

I'm guessing the OB was talking about the SIPS test as far as the one you missed... it's done in two parts, the first blood draw is in the first tri and the second is done between 15 and 18 week.  I do know that there is a new blood test (ie isn't covered) that can be done in the place of an amnio which costs between $700 and $800. 

Are you in BC?  I saw an article about this new test (sorry I don't know the name of it) in the Vancouver Province a couple of weeks back about how a study is being launched out of UBC to try and get it added to coverage and make it standard test.  You could try googling and see if you can get in the study if you are wanting to see if you have another option rather than paying for the test out of pocket.

• Options
    Thanks for the info everyone. Will try to get into my dr asap to discuss options.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"