Babies on the Brain
Options

What to buy a 1 year old

We are going to the first birthday of our friend's daughter this weekend. What is a good gift for a 1 year old? We are clueless. We were thinking about doing a savings bond for her future college instead of toys but I don't know if a parent would be annoyed with that... Thoughts?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: What to buy a 1 year old

• Options
    painttheair14painttheair14 member
    edited September 2014
    I would be pumped about a savings bond!

My ds is 7 months and we have been gifted so many toys and clothes (mostly hand me downs). At 1, the baby doesn't understand gifts yet and a savings bond would be a great gift down the road for them.

Eta: if you are worried, you could run it by the parents
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• Options

I actually really enjoyed getting clothes as gifts, so that gets my vote.

I would probably only gift a savings bond to someone I was super close to-- but that's me personally.

Other ideas- books, those wooden puzzles with the pegs (DD loved them at that age), educational DVDs.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would run the savings bond idea by the parents.  I think it would be cool, but some people are touchy about those things. 

DH and I always enjoy going into the toy isle and picking out things or clothes are a good option too. 
    Married DH - 5/31/14
    NTNP - September 2014
    TTC #1 - December 2014

• Options
    This particular couple are our closest set of friends. We were thinking a check (I have no idea where/how to buy an actual bond) to them with "Baby XYZ College Fund" in the memo line. We were going to wrap some books to go along with it. I never would have guessed this may offend some parents so I am glad I asked! Maybe we will do the books only. Thanks!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    LizzyRB said:
    This particular couple are our closest set of friends. We were thinking a check (I have no idea where/how to buy an actual bond) to them with "Baby XYZ College Fund" in the memo line. We were going to wrap some books to go along with it. I never would have guessed this may offend some parents so I am glad I asked! Maybe we will do the books only. Thanks!

I didn't mean to make it sound like I would get offended. I just personally would prefer to not gift money for a 1 YOs birthday party. 

Since they are your closest friends- that does make more sense, and I am sure you know them best.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    I would run the savings bond idea by the parents.  I think it would be cool, but some people are touchy about those things. 

DH and I always enjoy going into the toy isle and picking out things or clothes are a good option too. 
    What kind of person gets mad about something like that?

I would ask the mom if there is anything in particular they need/want. The last thing I needed from people was more fucking clothes.

Like I said, I wouldn't personally but I know people who would.  Generally, people who have too much pride....

OP if you're really close to them, then go ahead and give a check.  I think that would be neat.  Then if they already have an account for College Savings, they can contribute your check into it.
    Married DH - 5/31/14
    NTNP - September 2014
    TTC #1 - December 2014

• Options
    I think a savings bond is thoughtful.  If you were looking for something different, clothes and books are always a nice gift!
  • Options
    A quick word about savings bonds (because I tried to get one earlier this summer for a 1 year old's birthday as well), from what I can tell you can only get them electronically now, so no paper bonds. And to get one as a gift there's a fair amount of information about the child that you need (like social security numbers and other things that even with my best friend I would be uncomfortable asking). We ended up doing cash because I know my friend doesn't get by the bank that often and I didn't want a check to sit on my account.

I will say that I also think it depends on if there are older siblings, especially of the same sex. The one year old I just bought for has an older brother and an older sister and they have tons of crap (crap is the exact quote from my friend their mother). She really didn't want to add more toys, so we did a card with the money (that went into the education fund) and a teddy bear from us.

We've done pretty much the same for her other kids this year, a small toy, generally educational, or a book, and then money.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I usually buy a dressy outfit- something that parents wouldn't buy for their kids on a regular basis.  I think presents are for buying the non-practical, fun things, not the practical.  Then I usually get some little toy too.  For girls, I've been buying this adorable, plush pink pocketbook with little plush items inside.  It's so funny that they always know what to do with it.
  • Options
    I usually get a colorful little toy/book, nothing battery-operated to annoy the parents. If they already have a ton of toys then a check.

The last time I gave a gift to a 1-year-old girl she was way more interested in the pink bday card with glitter and ladybugs on it. She thought the card was the present.
  • Options
    I think the savings bond is a great idea, and you (and other people) could contribute to it every year-birthday, Christmas, whatever and wouldn't have to worry about buying something. I also think you should ask the mother(or your daughter) if there is anything in particular she needs. I'm sure when she had her baby shower she got a lot of stuff for infants. Maybe she needs some 12mo+ clothes or toddler necessities.
  • Options
    BlueBirdMBBlueBirdMB member
    edited September 2014
    I usually buy a dressy outfit- something that parents wouldn't buy for their kids on a regular basis.  I think presents are for buying the non-practical, fun things, not the practical.  Then I usually get some little toy too.  For girls, I've been buying this adorable, plush pink pocketbook with little plush items inside.  It's so funny that they always know what to do with it.
    As in non-practical shit that the child will never, ever wear but they have to store now because some jackass bought it for them and likely didn't include a receipt.

Yeah, I'm sure the people you have annoyed with this appreciated the fuck out of that.

And LOL at giving a 1 year old a pocketbook with tiny things inside. The items you put in it are likely too small for a child that age. Oh. Good job gifting choking hazards.

I didn't PUT items in it.  It is meant for a 9-12 months old and it has 2 very LARGE. STUFFED. items with nothing detachable.  I'm not completely stupid. It's a prepackaged TOY from Toys R US
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Every parent I have ever bought a nice outfit for has always used it.  I have seen them use it multiple times.  Do you never do anything with your children?  Like take them places?  Have pictures taken?  Anything?  

And I'm an educator, so yes, I do see children every. single. day.  I also see them wear nice clothes other than t-shirts and jeans.  I have plenty of baby pictures of myself in pretty dresses- Christmas, Thanksgiving, birthday parties, professional baby pictures, even other family parties.  One dress I gave (BTW nothing is DESIGNER.  Just a pretty dress), was used for a grandparent's anniversary party, and uncle's birthday party, and professional photos.  I would hardly say they were "annoyed" at my gift. 

As far as the purse reenforcing sex roles… it could be used for either sex and perhaps I will buy it for a little boy- simply haven't been invited to any boy 1 year old parties.  It's a BAG.
  • Options
    OH and I always include a receipt for all clothes.  Again, I'm not completely stupid.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

As in non-practical shit that the child will never, ever wear but they have to store now because some jackass bought it for them and likely didn't include a receipt.

Yeah, I'm sure the people you have annoyed with this appreciated the fuck out of that.

And LOL at giving a 1 year old a pocketbook with tiny things inside. The items you put in it are likely too small for a child that age. Oh. Good job gifting choking hazards.

What the frig- I refreshed the page and it had added this stupid comment. 
  • Options
    **Lurking and putting in my $.02** I always try to go for experiences rather than "things". Some ideas are a zoo, Discovery/kids museum, Aquarium, or JumpTime(if you have something like that). FWIW I would never be upset about getting a check for a college fund.
    DS#1 5/31/12
    DS#2 5/11/13
    #3 EDD 8/7/15
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    No, we don't drag our 3 year old to black tie events. Anything he goes to would require no more than a polo and khakis. Most people don't use super fancy clothing for pictures either.

And I would be fucking ticked if someone thought they had that right to buy holiday/picture clothes for MY child.

Am I allowed to say fuck you for trying to say I do nothing with my child because I don't play dress up with him in fanceh clothes on the regular? We are more relaxed than that. Sorry you feel it only counts as time with your child if you are being a fucking stuck up snob in fancy clothes.

All of that was unnecessary.  You made a whole bunch of assumptions.  You assumed that I had actually bought a real purse for a child and put real accessories in it.  I didn't do any of those things.  I bought a prepackaged TOY at a TOY STORE.

No where I did I say I bought some type of silk dress for the kids either.  I'm not out there buying them pat and leather shoes and dry clean only designer clothes.  Nothing that would warrant a "black tie event".  Are you serious?  You'd never put your kid in a dress?  Really???  I BOUGHT A DRESS.  What I meant by parents needing to buy practical things were things like onesies, jeans, t-shirts- things to generally clothe your child and I wouldn't want to buy something like that as they already have things like that, so I bought a DRESS.  I said a dressy outfit, to mean anything besides play clothes as a general description that fit both boys and girls.  That is NO WAY means I'm a snob or stuck up.  I have never bought the dress with the intention that they wear it a holiday or party, but sometimes the parents chose to use it that way.  Sometimes they just put the kid in the outfit because it was a Tuesday or used it for pictures, not because it was a black tie formal dress, but because they LIKED IT.  That doesn't mean they're snobs either.  You have no idea what I actually bought, so don't you dare tell me that I'm a rude snob and my friends and family should be freaking annoyed with me. 

If you didn't approve of my gift, then you could have simply said that as a parent, you wouldn't like such a gift, as to be helpful to the discussion instead of saying that I was being rude, chocking children, and annoying parents.  Don't assume that you actually know what I bought- in fact I originally said I bought a PLUSH purse, so you can assume that it was a stuffed toy.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I'm so sorry if I asked if you would put your kids in something besides play clothes.  You seemed to find it shocking that my friends put their kids in a dress, so I was just seeing if you really don't find any particular use for a dress at any point in time.  I in no way meant to insinuate that by not getting all fancy that you were some terrible person.  I also didn't mean that you literally didn't do anything with your kids- just not something that you would find a dress useful for. I'm sorry- I didn't mean it the way you took it at all. 

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I'm a lurker from a dif board but man people get riled. it may have been appropriate for BLUEBIRD to give her friends child  a dress but no to give the same thing to GHOSTMONKEY or KIMBUS. You have to know the recipient. IMHO clothes and toys are for people to give that are close enough to you to know what you have and what your style is. Money, checks etc and greatly appreciated from close or more distant friends, but are less personal and are much safer if you don't know their style. People can get offended about money gifts, but mostly if it's a large amount, or it's pride that they don't want to be thought poor or they think they're to rich for someone to be giving them money. Dressy clothes? I would love if I had kids because we go to church regularly. dressy =/= uncomfortable. And the sexist gifts again depend on the person, but I see baby boys bringing their sisters old coin purses to play with chew on in church and it's not a big deal.
    Displaying _20140730_065450.JPG Z0EY
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    What an odd ass post to bring back.
  • Options
    Take it from someone who used those savings bonds to go to college: the parents will appreciate them and if they don't their kids will.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"