March 2014 Moms
Options

Starting Solids and Daycare

So I started BLW this weekend with Hudson and did Avocados. Other moms doing solids or BLW, are you taking those foods to daycare for your teachers to also feed them or only doing solids at home and milk at school?

Re: Starting Solids and Daycare

• Options
    IF LO was going to daycare I would probably only send milk there and do solids at home. (We will be doing BLW, but he's not looking for more than milk at the moment, so we haven't actually started yet)

I've heard many daycare's will only do purées, so you may want to check what they would even offer.
  • Options
    Lo gets both at daycare.  my daycare provides formula and food (either solids or puree's).  But they will only offer foods that you specifically state they can.  It makes life so much easier
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Stupid question,  what is BLW?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    BLW is Baby Led Weaning.  It's skipping purees and going straight to SOLID food.  Lets baby decide how much to eat and learn to chew before swallowing.  They eat what you eat - which means less food prep.

We are doing BLW and are having trouble with other people feeling comfortable enough to feed our son.  Even our family is seriously freaked out about choking - no matter how I explain it to them.  So, for now, we do BLW only at home - mostly for dinner and on weekends.  The cool thing about BLW is if it doesn't fit in our schedule we don't worry about it.  If we eat breakfast/dinner/lunch while he's awake, he eats with us.  If he's asleep, we don't stress about it.  If you find a daycare that is comfortable with it, I would suggest starting with food he's already comfortable with - that you have tried at home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We have just started BLW the last few days (5.5months and she started grabbing so we've gone with it!) nothing swallowed or even bitten off yet, but lots of tasting so we're delighted with how it's going.

I'm in the UK and have chosen a childminder who has had one baby before that has done BLW and is happy to do it again :) family are a different story, but I will try to go round for dinner when I can so hopefully they can see it and get used to how it works

My childminder includes food in the cost and is on board with it, so I'm not taking food. We discussed what she could/couldn't eat and was really hot on the topic! She suggested some things she found they can hold easy (which helped strengthen my belief she truly gets it!) and said food she wasn't comfortable with for her own reasons - all of which I was ok with and seemed reasonable. Perhaps you could have the same discussion with your childcare and see if they have similar knowledge or if they start suggesting spoon foods? I tried to have the same discussion with my mum and she said she was on board and asked if she was also getting baby rice, porridge, jars etc? Errrrr no..... So turns out she didn't get the idea and hence why I plan to go round for "meals" as a practice
  • Options
    My daycare said that I could bring whatever food I have already tried and she would feed them. I am still going to try at home for the 1st month and then probably send some food with him.

• Options
    Blw here too and so far I'm sticking with just milk at dc. There are two other babies around Arabella's age, I would say once those two are doing food at daycare she will too. I think they'll do purées(provider makes the food), which I'll probably just let her do too, but still do blw at home.
  • Options

@Khope87- can I just say I like the  term "childminder" so British! Love it. 

:) glad you liked it! I didn't even notice it was a British only word....

I giggle to myself all the time when I read everyone's comments and have an American accent in my head! When I read them out to DH he laughs too and we have started picking up on some of the terms. Like 'daycare' is American - we'd say 'nursery' for a centre that looks after kids.

I've had to google a fair few things to know what you guys are going on about! Swing, rock 'n' play, pack 'n' play, diaper genie.... Can't remember the others now! Same language, totally different words :)
  • Options
    Our daycare does solids with the twins, we told them what kind they're allowed to eat and they provide it for them :)
    1st FET 2/14/2013 Happy Valentines Day! - BFN
    2nd FET 6/14/2013
    - BPF!!! -
    1st Beta:
    1046!!!!! - 2nd Beta: 2754!!!!!
    First u/s 7/11/2013 - TWINS!!! 120 and 124 heartbeats <3
    Second u/s
    7/29/2013 - wiggley babies! 178 and 184 heartbeats!
    Third u/s
    9/9/2013 - 157 and 161 heartbeats ... a BOY and a GIRL!!!! Cervix on the "shorter side" (3-3.3) - going to check again in 2 weeks.
    Fourth u/s 9/23/2013 - Baby A = 157 Baby B = 150 heartbeat. Cervix now 2.3-2.6 ... being referred to a MFM
    MFM Appointment 9/26/2013 = Both babies healthy, cervix now measuring at 4 - Playing tricks on me ... will follow up in 2 weeks.
    Cervical check 10/7 with regular OB - 2.1cm  --- going BACK to the MFM armed with ultrasound pictures from my OB of my cervix. *sigh*
    MFM Appointment 10/8 - confirmed my cervix at 2.1cm - putting me on Progesterone for a week.
    MFM Appointment 10/17 - Cervix unchanged! Keeping me on Progesterone - followup 10/29

photo e8294769.jpgphoto 3a44b450.jpg
    imageimageimageimage"">image

Everett Alan James (3lbs8oz) and Eliana Lee (3lbs7oz) born 12/28/13 at 30w6d!
  • Options
    Those making your own baby food - what containers are you sending it to daycare in? I was thinking of getting some small canning jars? 
    https://www.infantino.com/category.cfm?subcategory=5019

all you'd really need is the squeeze station and pouches. and I re-use the pouches (the cheapos)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"