Pregnant after a Loss

PGAL newbie question

What did your first few weeks look like when you got your BFP after a loss as far as medical care. Did you get betas? (2 blood draws, more). Did you have an early US? See your dr/midwife sooner? etc... I'm calling my OB in the morning and just wondering what I should expect/ask for. With my other 3 pregnancies, I didn't even see the OB until 9+ weeks. I can't imagine waiting that long this time around. Especially since last pregnancy, I was going along thinking everything was fine that whole time until my OB visit.
DS1 born 4/17/11
DS2 born 2/22/13
MMC 5/16/14@8w2d
DD due 5/9/15 Please be our
RAINBOW

imageimage

Re: PGAL newbie question

• I was asked to come in the same afternoon for an ultrasound and beta draw. I went again for another beta in two days. He gave me the option of coming for a third draw but didn't feel it was necessary. I had ultrasounds every week the first few weeks and then backed off to two weeks and now I'm at 4 weeks apart. I have gotten ultrasounds at every visit (but I also have twins).
    I think it will vary greatly depending on your doctor.
    MMC October 2010
    BFP #2 June 3, 2014
    Twins?  You mean two babies?  WOW!
    Team PURPLE!!
    We are excited to meet William Alexander and Harper Abigail in 2015!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I was seeing a RE, but I had betas done right away even though I was on a treatment break. My first u/s with them was at 7 weeks and then I had another one when I saw my OB at 8 weeks.
    Multiple TTCAL 1image
     TTC #1 since March 2011 
    BFP #1: EDD 4/16/13~~blighted ovum w/ 2 gestational sacs~~Loss on 9/18/12
    BFP #2: EDD 9/3/13~~Slow HB at 1st U/S~~MMC -Loss on 2/13/13
    9/13, 10/13, 1/14: letrozole + trigger + TI = All BFNs
    3/14: IUI#1 letrozole/Bravelle/Menopur + trigger = BFN
    BFP #3: EDD 1/27/15 Please be our rainbow! ...Team Green

• Loading the player...
  • Hi love! I was told they would want to do early testing (not sure labs, u/s), when I got pregnant again after my D&C. I'm going to call tomorrow am and will let you know what the verdict is. (That being said I'm also high risk..)
    BFP #1-- 8-25-12, DD Born 5-1-13 
    BFP #2-- 5-6-14, MMC 6-13-14, D&C 6-13-14
    BFP #3 -- 8-26-14, EDD 5-10-15 

• Was seeing an re for 3 losses. So had 3 betas done two u/s , then released to OB. He sees me every 3 weeks but more so for preterm labor I had with ds...good luck. Explain you want to be seen, you are worried because of loss. They should do something then! Good luck and welcome!
    ***ticker warning*** DS 3/27/12 born 6 weeks early....my perfect boy !! Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers [url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb1f.lilypie.com/z5R8p1.png[/img][/url] image<a href="http://www.thebump.com/?
  • I had 3 betas drawn, the first as soon as I turned a pregnancy test positive. I had the option of an early ultrasound but I decided to wait until things would be clear around 7-8 weeks. Other then watching my progesterone and HCG closely in the beginning things haven't been different so far from my previous pregnancies. 

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I was seeing a RE, he immediately did two betas at 48hrs apart. He likes to do the first US at 7wks by lmp. However, I ovulated really really late so my first US was actually at 5w3d. I then had an appointment every two weeks until I was at 9wks. At 9wks I was released to an OB. My ob started with monthly appointments. I skipped the 12wk NT scan, so my next US--the anatomy/morphology wasn't until 19/20wks. I will go to two appointments a month at 29wks.

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

• I went to my regular doctor the day after my BFP and he sent me for a beta HCG blood draw that day and a follow up 2 days later. He also wrote me out a form for a scan which I could use whenever I wanted. I decided to use it when I was 6.5 weeks. I would have used it earlier but didn't want to be disappointed or freaked out if I didn't see a heartbeat. The wait between my blood draws and that scan was over 2 weeks and was really hard but so worth it in the end when the scan went perfectly.

As for seeing my OB I only had my first appointment with them this past Friday at 8w6d but I hadn't even called them until somewhere in week 7. They recommend your first appointment be between 8 and 10 weeks. I think it's pretty standard for a first OB appointment to be no earlier than 8 weeks but there is no harm in asking for one earlier. I can't imagine they'd say no.

Me(24) DH(26)/Married since March 2013
    BFP#1 February 18th 2014/EDD October 27th/MMC discovered at 10w/D&C April 7th 
    BFP#2 July 24th 2014/EDD April 4th 2015/Please be our RAINBOW!
  • I'm not sure what ur history is because I'm mobile but as for me, being I had an ectopic in march my RE was super cautious. I had betas until the sac was confirmed in a very early ultrasound. Then he did weekly sonos until he released me at 9 weeks to the ob. It all depends on your doctor and your history but if betas would make you feel better I would ask for them! Good luck and congrats! :)

Me (30) DH (31) Married 5/13, TTC since 2/13
    BFP #1 Blighted Ovum resulting in D&C on 11/1/13
    BFP #2 Ectopic Pg, lap surgery on 3/12/14, R tube removed

BFP # 3, EDD 2/21/15 * please be our rainbow*
  • I was seeing an RE when I got my BFP. But they had me come in the day of my positive test to have betas drawn, then I had a repeat draw like 3 days later. Then 2 weeks later I had an US at 5w6d and then another US 2 weeks after that at 7w6d. At that appointment I was released to my regular OB. I saw him at 9 weeks and he also did an US. So I had 3 by the time I reached 9 weeks. If you are wanting an earlier scan, definitely ask for it!
    BFP #1 7/23/12: EDD 4/1/13.  MMC discovered on 9/4/12 @ 10w1d
    BFP# 2 3/9/13:  EDD 11/12/13 m/c 3/15/13 @ 5w3d
    RPL testing shows one copy of MTHFR gene mutation. 
     BFP#3 12/24/13: EDD 9/5/14 Beta #1 13 DPO 168! Beta #2 16 DPO 895!
     First US 1/9/14 @ 5w6d Strong HB!
    2nd US 1/23/14 @ 7w6d baby is still doing great! 3rd US 1/31/14  9w0d: Beautiful wiggly baby! Keep growing baby!
    3/17/14 US @ 15w3d:Its a BOY!

My rainbow baby Isaac has arrived! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you for all of your input. So it sounds like what my OB recommended is about par for the course so to speak.

Going in for betas tomorrow & Friday.

Then they do an early "confirmation of pregnancy visit" between 6-8 weeks since I have a previous loss. I made it for 7w4d, I know I could have gone sooner but I'd like to be able to hopefully see a heartbeat and was afraid if I went too soon I'd be left disappointed.

Then I have my regular 1st prenatal visit at 9w. So It will be less than 2 weeks between US's, but I won't be having my first one until 9/24. So I have 3 weeks and 1 day to try not to go too crazy.

After my 9w US, I will have a NT scan and noninvasive genetic blood work I think between 11-13 weeks so that stretch won't be too long between scans. A friend has lent me her home doppler and I will consider using that in between visits.

Sounds about right.
    DS1 born 4/17/11
    DS2 born 2/22/13
    MMC 5/16/14@8w2d
    DD due 5/9/15 Please be our
    RAINBOW

imageimage
  • With my loss pregnancy, I was seen at 6 weeks and a few days - my doc does a viability scan at that point for all his patients.  It was then we found that our twins likely wouldn't make it, and two days later, they were gone.

With this pregnancy, we did the same thing - he saw us at around 6 weeks and did the viability scan and everything looked good - even had a little tiny heartbeat.

We opted to not do betas this time around.  My doc only started monitoring them after my loss because I was still getting a + on a HPT after nearly 6 weeks (and pretty much 0 chance of it being a new pregnancy).  I knew if I did them this time around they would just stress me out - I'd worry if the number wasn't high enough or if it was too high, and if it wasn't doubling properly I knew there wasn't anything anyone could do about it anyway...  
    Anniversary
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
      DS #1 born 8/3/06, DS #2 born 10/2/08
    TTC since 8/13 BFP 11/27/13, EDD: 8/3/14
    US 12/9 found 2 Gestational Sacs, MC 12/10/13 6w3d
    BFP #4 5/15/14, EDD: 1/25/14, HB 6/4/14 Movement 8/13/14
    All Welcome

Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image
  • E&B0811E&B0811 member
    edited September 2014
    I took an hpt in the evening at 14dpo and called the REs office the next morning. They had me come in right away for a beta and progesterone draw. That was a Thursday. Because they wanted me to wait at least 48 hours between betas and because I was going to be out of town for work, I didn't have another beta until 21/22dpo. At that point the re scheduled an initial US for 6w6d. At the initial US we were able to see Vigorous Baby and her hb. :) The RE released me to my OB. I had my first appointment with the OB at 8w3d and she did another US. I also had a third US at about 11w just for peace of mind.

ETA: between my ob and the MFM I have continued to be seen about every two weeks during this pregnancy.

Pregnancy Ticker

BFP 5/19/2013. MC 7/2/2013 (9w6d) with est. loss at 8w. Miso 7/3/2013 and emergency D & C 7/6/2013.

BFP#2 11/6/2013.  CP 11/14/2013.  

BFP #3 12/13/2013.  Beta #1 @ 15dpo- 239. Progesterone 27.  Beta #2 @17dpo - 90.  CP 12/21/2013

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  -Philippians 4:6-7

All PgAL and PAL welcome.

• I got my BFP on a Friday and went in the following Monday for blood draws and the first round of betas. Repeated betas two days later. I was in my 4th week then. I believe I was 6w3d for my first ultrasound, and we did get to see a heartbeat.

Congrats on your BFP and welcome!
  • I've had 3 losses and they were all pretty early so we are doing betas (today was 202 and I'll have another Thursday to make sure they're doubling). Unless you have recurrent chemical pregnancies like I did, I don't think there's really a need for it. It's just another bill in the mail. But if it makes you feel better then definitely ask your doctor! You don't even have to be seen, you should just be able to go into the lab and they draw blood. It takes 5 minutes. I'll be having an ultrasound at 6 1/2 weeks. I haven't had any ultrasounds yet because my losses were so early, so if we see a heartbeat at that time it will ease my mind. I hope your doctor will agree to see you before 9 weeks! Seems like a long time to wait. 
    imageimage
    Me: 29 DH:30 married 6/5/10
    DS: 10/12/12 via ECS (blood clot in umbilical cord)
    BFP 1/25/14 mc at 6 1/2 weeks  EDD: 10/4/14
    BFP 4/10/14 mc at 4 1/2 weeks  EDD: 12/15/14
    BFP 5/14/14 mc at 5 1/2 weeks  EDD: 1/20/15
    BFP 8/28/14 *please, please stick*  EDD: 5/10/15
  • After I got my BFP on Friday I saw the doc on the next Monday. She did a portable U/S but it was too early to see anything. She then took blood 3 times. That day, 2 days later, and 3 days after that. (To watch the HCG Levels and see if they were rising.) A week after that She had me do an U/S and then we learned we were at 6w5d and saw and heard the hb. Because she knows of my previous loss and how nervous I am I have been in to see her once a week since then, going back in today. I'm not sure when I'll go back after today, she wanted to seem me every week till we got to 9 (we unknowingly lost the first at 8w) so I'm not sure how we will move forward after today. 

I do think you should ask for HCG draws to see if the numbers are doubling like they should but depending on ovulation it may be to early to see anything else.
    -Megan

Started dating Hubby May 17 2005. Married since Aug 20 2011 
    Me:30   Hubby:31
    TTC since May 2012 
    HSG Dec 2012 Fill no spill on left side, right side normal (most physically painful experience of my life..)
    Metformin Started May 2013
    PG#1: BFP 10-21-13. EDD 6-17-14 mmc 12-9-13 m/c occurred with cytotec on 12-11-13 
    PG#2: BFP 07-25-14.  EDD 4-5-15   *Hoping this is my rainbow*
    Diagnosed with PCOS, Hypothyroid,IBD/UC, (UC in remission as of July 2014)
    *I will always love you Fetey the first.* 

ALL WELCOME!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"