May 2014 Moms

The Big Snooze (Sleep Thread)

Re: The Big Snooze (Sleep Thread)

• I'm a bit behind on this thread, so forgive me if this has been asked (skimmed and didn't see...)

What are everyone's LOs wearing to bed these days? It's getting cold in Ohio and I got some fleece sleepers for DS. Should he just be wearing that or would you put a onesie on under it? I get so hot when I have fleece right up against my skin that I'm wondering if he would be more comfortable with a layer of cotton in between.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
      BabyFruit Ticker image
  • bazingaa said:

I'm a bit behind on this thread, so forgive me if this has been asked (skimmed and didn't see...)

What are everyone's LOs wearing to bed these days? It's getting cold in Ohio and I got some fleece sleepers for DS. Should he just be wearing that or would you put a onesie on under it? I get so hot when I have fleece right up against my skin that I'm wondering if he would be more comfortable with a layer of cotton in between.  
    I'm interested in responses to this too...
    Fleece sleeper and onesie and socks underneath. I am making him a sleep sack with legs for when winter hits.

Basically anything between 10 and 18 degrees it's just the sleeper.

Anything under 10 gets the extra layer. But he prefers to be on the cooler side.

That's in Celsius too.
  • Loading the player...
  • @bazingaa LO wears a long sleeve onesie and a fleece sleep sack to bed. He always feels comfortable to the touch when he wakes up at night and in the am. I may do a cotton sleeper underneath the sleepsack when it gets colder.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My LO is sleeping in cotton sleepers for now. We're in Ontario, weather has been decent for now.
  • Thanks all! I think I will try a onesie with the fleece tonight. I had him in just a cotton sleeper last night and felt horrible this morning when I went to get him up and he felt cold :(
      BabyFruit Ticker image
  • @MK1013‌ we use pampers baby dry at night and have never had a leak. Use honest brand sometimes too but prefer baby dry at night. Unless there is poop she stays in the same diaper for 12 hours every night.
  • letal316 said:

My LO is sleeping in cotton sleepers for now. We're in Ontario, weather has been decent for now.

It's been freezing here at night! Lucky.
  • letal316 said:

My LO is sleeping in cotton sleepers for now. We're in Ontario, weather has been decent for now.

Are you in ON? We have a Gro egg in DD's room and her room is typically +23 (Celsius) through the night.
  • Ok I am totally not trying to rub this in anyone's faces. I'm just shocked. We are going on night 4 of having DD sleep in her crib in her room at night and it is going great! The first night she was up 3 times and I had to go in and turn her onto her back and then she was fine. 2nd night she slept 9:15-7:15 and last night she slept 9:00-8:30! I never thought she would sleep this good in her crib! I should have done this a month ago. I dont know why I was so nervous :)
  • By posting this, I probably jinxed it!
  • KatzaliaKatzalia member
    edited September 2014
    Okay ladies, this is the first night with the new magic suit, so we're trying the crib again. Fingers crossed....

Eta: She has officially been asleep in her crib in her own room for 35 minutes -- 34 minutes longer than any previous attempt. So far the magic suit seems like it's earning its name.

Update: Up at 10.30 to eat, 11.20 howling because she was wet, and up at 2.15 to eat again. Still, this is not awful for our first full night of transition to crib. I actually cried a little before leaving her room at 11.30. She's growing up so fast! I have a sleeping girl on my chest now, and am cherishing every second of the snuggles.
  • @MK1013‌ we just use pampers swaddlers overnight, her butt is a little damp when she wakes up in the morning but she doesn't seem to mind. The diaper is always extra full but hasn't leaked yet.

@bazingaa‌ DD2 currently sleeps in a coton onesie and magic Merlin sleep suit. First winter DD1 slept in cotton pajamas and her AA sleepsack. Second winter she outgrew the sleepsack so we just did fleece pajamas nothing underneath.
  • letal316 said:
    Are you in ON? We have a Gro egg in DD's room and her room is typically +23 (Celsius) through the night.
    Yeah, we've hit between 15-18 in the house at night, and that's based on the thermostat on the first floor. Probably a little warmer upstairs. We like it cooler, and with a onesie and fleece sleeper DS is warm. 
  • DD1 is sleeping in this morning, 8am and still no peep. Of course today is the day DD2 decided to wake up and party 2 hours early at 6am. WTF child, don't you know your mommy needs sleep!
  • We use Pampers Swaddlers as well. She sleeps from 7:30 - 5/6am w/o waking. We change her diaper when she wakes and no leaks yet, but a very, very heavy diaper. 

The last week or so its finally been cool enough to have the windows open - it gets into the low 60s here. I have her windows cracked and the ceiling fan going too. She's in fleece pjs and a fleece halo sack - she always seems warms enough in the morning. 

To all of those who have gone through 4 month wakefuls - when is the latest LO started? DD has been 4 months for almost a week and we haven't hit it yet - hoping that we get lucky...

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image

• @Jcrewgirl85‌ my LO is 20-1/2wks and hasn't gone through it. I'm guessing it doesn't happen to all babies.
  • comicsans said:

letal316 said:

@Jcrewgirl85‌ my LO is 20-1/2wks and hasn't gone through it. I'm guessing it doesn't happen to all babies.

I think it's less common with babies who are bottle fed during the day because there's a better chance of managing their intake. For us it seemed like 3 month growth spurt, leap, total distracted baby while feeding, and 4 month growth spurt all led to her needing to eat more at night. Some babies also do the up all night wanting to party, but we never had that, just more eating and a couple nights of waking up crying.  

Totally agree. My LO is FF.
  • This 4-month wakeful thing blows. My kid was sleeping through the night at 8 weeks in her crib no problem, went through a week here or there of her wanting to get up at night to eat but no biggy. The last week or so she has been getting up at multiple times during the night crying, babbling, thrashing around in her crib, wanting to eat, etc. It is draining my will to live.
  • letal316 said:
    letal316 said:
    @Jcrewgirl85‌ my LO is 20-1/2wks and hasn't gone through it. I'm guessing it doesn't happen to all babies.
    I think it's less common with babies who are bottle fed during the day because there's a better chance of managing their intake. For us it seemed like 3 month growth spurt, leap, total distracted baby while feeding, and 4 month growth spurt all led to her needing to eat more at night. Some babies also do the up all night wanting to party, but we never had that, just more eating and a couple nights of waking up crying.  
    Totally agree. My LO is FF.
    DD is fed bottled breastmilk at DC. Would that count since we are still managing her intake somewhat? I nurse her in the morning and once at night.

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image

• This 4-month wakeful thing blows. My kid was sleeping through the night at 8 weeks in her crib no problem, went through a week here or there of her wanting to get up at night to eat but no biggy. The last week or so she has been getting up at multiple times during the night crying, babbling, thrashing around in her crib, wanting to eat, etc. It is draining my will to live.

It's brutal. We are finally coming out of it after about 2.5 weeks. She went from being a pretty good sleeper to waking hourly wanting to eat and thrashing around! Good luck momma, it does end eventually!
  • so is it so bizarre for me to keep LO sleeping in her rnp for as long as possible? we had soooo many issues with sleep at the very beginning and were stoked when we discovered she would actually sleep in the rock n play. I've tried putting her flat on her belly or back when she's asleep or drowsy, and she wakes up after 5 minutes. So currently I'm thinking of waiting to see what happens and using the rnp until she starts to close in on 25 lbs. may be crazy, but I'll let you know what happens. ;)
  • hbird0723hbird0723 member
    edited September 2014
    @GracedGuest‌ have you tried raising the bed? We have a wedge that goes under the sheet and it elevates her upper body, that has really helped. That being said she still won't nap in it but she sleeps in it at night.

• @Hbird05‌ I'll look more into that! I've tried elevating one end of the crib with towels or pillows under the mattress, but she seems to slide down the mattress when I lay her down. I can never get it so it's comfortable for her. I haven't tried anything above the mattress and under the sheet. Is there one on Amazon you recommend? I'm trying to find one with good reviews, but there doesn't seem to be many...
  • Are the crappy 30 min naps ever going to lengthen? DS has kept this up for over a month now and I can't get anything done
  • @GracedGuest‌ I got ours at Walmart :) we used it for a little while and then also went to towels because it was a little lower then eventually we will go flat. She had reflux so I'm waiting on that. She used to slide down as well but doesn't move as much any more. She also has a magic suit so maybe that's why.
    We also did the same thing with rock n play where if I put her back in her crib in the middle of the night and I had to go back in she then went in the rock n play. With the suit though she's been in her crib for a while now. I also realized that her gas issues would be worse in the rock n play. I think maybe because she was scrunched up.

• @Hbird05‌ I'll look more into that! I've tried elevating one end of the crib with towels or pillows under the mattress, but she seems to slide down the mattress when I lay her down. I can never get it so it's comfortable for her. I haven't tried anything above the mattress and under the sheet. Is there one on Amazon you recommend? I'm trying to find one with good reviews, but there doesn't seem to be many...

Please don't do that.. Babies can roll into the other end of the crib and suffocate. Just use a wedge as long as she can't roll yet.
  • Ok, this thing is my new best friend tonight.  We received this as a gift a couple of weeks ago and LO has enjoyed looking at it during the day.    We were having a hell of a time at bedtime tonight.  I tapped out and my husband was trying to console him.    All of a sudden - silence.   My husband had put this in the crib.   We watched on the monitor as he held it a little bit and then it rolled away as his arm fell limp.   We're continuing to watch him on the monitor and will remove it once we know he is in a steady sleep. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Ocean-Wonders-Soothe-Seahorse/dp/B0083IXKYY

Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Emmagk said:

Are the crappy 30 min naps ever going to lengthen? DS has kept this up for over a month now and I can't get anything done

Same here. Occasionally she will take an hour nap but that's after missing one or two. Normally she's taking 15-30 min naps. Waking up just in time to eat. Ugh

• QOTR said:

Ok, this thing is my new best friend tonight.  We received this as a gift a couple of weeks ago and LO has enjoyed looking at it during the day.    We were having a hell of a time at bedtime tonight.  I tapped out and my husband was trying to console him.    All of a sudden - silence.   My husband had put this in the crib.   We watched on the monitor as he held it a little bit and then it rolled away as his arm fell limp.   We're continuing to watch him on the monitor and will remove it once we know he is in a steady sleep. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Ocean-Wonders-Soothe-
    Seahorse/dp/B0083IXKYY

Be careful with this! We were going to get one for DS but I read the reviews and the batteries are smoking and burning inside it overheats! I really wanted one but after this it scared the shit out of me!
  • THD7580 said:
    Ok, this thing is my new best friend tonight.  We received this as a gift a couple of weeks ago and LO has enjoyed looking at it during the day.    We were having a hell of a time at bedtime tonight.  I tapped out and my husband was trying to console him.    All of a sudden - silence.   My husband had put this in the crib.   We watched on the monitor as he held it a little bit and then it rolled away as his arm fell limp.   We're continuing to watch him on the monitor and will remove it once we know he is in a steady sleep. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Ocean-Wonders-Soothe- Seahorse/dp/B0083IXKYY

Be careful with this! We were going to get one for DS but I read the reviews and the batteries are smoking and burning inside it overheats! I really wanted one but after this it scared the shit out of me!
    Well, fu@k.

Me-41, Hubby-40.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • @THD7580‌ hmmm our LO is rolling so maybe the wedge under the sheet won't work. Our doctor recommended elevating one side of the crib with towels under the mattress, but my LO didn't seem to like it. I haven't read about any instances of suffocation with this though.
  • @Lissiehoya‌ we have one and use it every night! I love it! DS loves the ocean that's what he listens to every night. It has a few other ones like white noise, heartbeat, rain, and lighting and thunder storm but it's really soothing!
  • People who use a white noise machine, what do you have and do you like it? Our pedi suggested getting one to help DS sleep.

We recently started using the Baby Pillow app. It has a bunch of different white noise options as well as lullabyes. LO really likes the washing machine sound.
  • People who use a white noise machine, what do you have and do you like it? Our pedi suggested getting one to help DS sleep.

Just a cheap HoMetics one. It has about 6-7 sounds but we keep it in rain. Helps to drown out the noise in the house

• @THD7580‌ hmmm our LO is rolling so maybe the wedge under the sheet won't work. Our doctor recommended elevating one side of the crib with towels under the mattress, but my LO didn't seem to like it. I haven't read about any instances of suffocation with this though.

DD was having a hard time sleeping on her tummy so last night I put two small blankets under one side The mattress to elevate it, she slept in a RnP before and would sleep for 5-7 hours. So I figured she would sleep better with it elevated, and so far so good!
  • I'm so F-ing tired. DD is now on week 4 of waking every 1-2 hrs. I'm starting to think maybe it isn't a 4MW phase after all. Maybe this is just what she does now and will until she gets all her teeth. This sucks.
  • Other than the fits before every nap and bedtime she is starting to sleep longer stretches now thank God. Of course last night she sleeps 6 hours and I didn't get to he's until 10 so I only got 3 :( oh well! Hopefully it wasn't a fluke and she needs her sleep!! She is starting to be cranky all day! We are 4 1/2 weeks in as far as the 4 MW goes so hopefully this is the end! The fits are driving me nuts though and the 20 minutes of sucking. Can't have it all I guess :) I'll take the 6 hours!

• @THD7580‌, what kind do you have? Does it stay on all night or shut off automatically? And @KellyQ116‌, does yours stay on all night or shut off automatically?
    We keep it on all night but it does have a timer
  • He was almost asleep and the stupid dog woke him up.   I can't take it!
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • I need you fine ladies to lie to me and tell me it's all a phase and that I'm not a horrible mother that has no fucking idea how to soothe her baby.    I can't get him to sleep anymore.  Everything that used to work doesn't.  Please, please, please let this be a part of the 4MW (that I thought we had already recovered from) and not the start of a horrible sleep habit. 
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14