December 2014 Moms
Options

PSA: The New "Full Term"

https://www.nichd.nih.gov/ncmhep/terms/Pages/MomsToBe.aspx

Saw this pop up in my email today. The AMA and NIH have changed the definition of full term from 37 weeks on to 39 -40.5 weeks.
I think a lot of women on here already know this but it's a good reminder that it is always best to let baby cook for as long as possible.

"Research shows that babies do best when they are born between 39 and 40 weeks. Babies born before 39 weeks are at risk for problems with breathing, feeding, and controlling their temperature. They are also more likely to spend time in the neonatal intensive care unit, develop infections, and have a learning disability."

Course this is not to say that kids born earlier are automatically going to have problems or that anyone should feel bad if they have to induce early or anything. Sometimes it's unavoidable. But I thought this went along well with our other discussions and there's more info in the link as to why they changed it.

/lesson over ;P

In memory of the baby Hufflepuff and all the angel babies of D14 <3
imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: PSA: The New &quot;Full Term&quot;

• Options
    There is also a late pre-term that ranges from 34 weeks to 36 weeks and 6 days. These babies get much more testing, vital signs, a delayed bath and strict feeding plans. It's amazing the difference between a 34 week brain and a 40 week brain! Let your babies stay in as long as possible!! :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    argyledogsargyledogs member
    edited September 2014
    I was born around 4 weeks early back in 1989- I had to be in an incubator, get a spinal tap, and stay in a special children's hospital. You don't realize how much babies need that cooking time!

All because the doctor got sick of my mom complaining and induced her for "maternal misery"- back then you just did what the doctor said so she went along with it.

BUT I was perfectly fine after a week, I was a very happy baby, and I've had no lasting effects :-)

At least technology is better than it used to be, too!

Edited for derp
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for posting! I'd heard about the new changes and I'm so glad they did this! My DS was born at 37+3 and had issues with feeding and regulating his temperature. I'll gladly go another few weeks for the health of my baby!!

BabyFruit Ticker

ttc #2 since 2004 Me (35): Stage 3 Endo, DH (34): High DNA Frag

IVF/ICSI #2: April 2014: BFP!!!!!!

ET of 2 great quality embryos. + BFP on 9dp5dt. Beta #1 (10dp5dt): 257, Beta #2 (14dp5dt): 1561,

Beta #3 (21dp5d5): 8,172. Wow. It seems this is actually working. Shocked beyond belief.

1st u/s @6w5d: Baby A hb 124, Baby B hb 127 (Both measuring perfectly!)

Lost baby A. Praying that baby B stays healthy. Baby B hb 175 at 11 weeks

It's a GIRL!!!

imageimageimage

My Blog

• Options
    Can this be stickied?
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    aeonlux said:
    Can this be stickied?
    I'm not sure how? Is it a mod thing?
    In memory of the baby Hufflepuff and all the angel babies of D14 <3
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @SLC1102‌ girl, your one liners are totally on point this week! Lol
  • Options
    RN536 said:
    I was born around 4 weeks early back in 1989- I had to be in an incubator, get a spinal tap, and stay in a special children's hospital. You don't realize how much babies need that cooking time! All because the doctor got sick of my mom complaining and induced her for "maternal misery"- back then you just did what the doctor said so she went along with it. BUT I was perfectly fine after a week, I was a very happy baby, and I've had no lasting effects :-) At least technology is better than it used to be, too! Edited for derp
    I was born at 29 1/2 weeks back in 1975. Not sure how I survived! Spent 2 months in the hospital. Back then when my mom went into early labor docs told her to drink a shot of scotch every night to "slow labor". Yeah that didn't work.
    "Back in the day" they would use IV alcohol drips to try to stop preterm labor. 

We also used to do rectal exams to check the cervix if you bag of water was ruptured to prevent infection.  I guess you could feel the cervix through the wall off the rectum.

Ahh, the good ol days ;)

• Options
    RN536 said:
    I was born around 4 weeks early back in 1989- I had to be in an incubator, get a spinal tap, and stay in a special children's hospital. You don't realize how much babies need that cooking time! All because the doctor got sick of my mom complaining and induced her for "maternal misery"- back then you just did what the doctor said so she went along with it. BUT I was perfectly fine after a week, I was a very happy baby, and I've had no lasting effects :-) At least technology is better than it used to be, too! Edited for derp
    I was born at 29 1/2 weeks back in 1975. Not sure how I survived! Spent 2 months in the hospital. Back then when my mom went into early labor docs told her to drink a shot of scotch every night to "slow labor". Yeah that didn't work.

Yep, my twin sister and I were born at 30w in 84- she stayed in the NICU for 1.5mos, I stayed for 2 and we both had feeding tubes till we were 3mos.

My mother was even more of a stubborn bitch, she was born at 28w in 1960- smallest baby ever in the history of the Aroostook State Hospital to live (it closed in the 70s). Weighed 1lb2oz and stayed in the hospital for 5mos. She has had lifelong health issues, but is still around to annoy us all ;)

I'm not hungry, I'm HUUUNNNNNGGGRRRRRYYYY! NOW!

Dec 2014 Dec Siggy, Free For All

Big E- 2008

Miss M- 2011

Baby Z- 2012

Baby Smoosh, Due Dec 2014

• Options
    My dad was a preemie in 1957, but I don't know by how much. He was born in a military hospital in Germany. Back then all they could do was put the baby in an oxygen tent and hope for the best.

Luckily, he survived with nothing more than a slightly droopy eye.
  • Options
    My mom went into labor at 28 weeks with my sister (1986). Luckily they were able to stop it with meds. She spent the rest of her pregnancy on bed rest. My sister still had a traumatic birth - several broken bones - but her lungs and brain were fine.
  • Options
    My uncle was born at 24-25 weeks in 1956 in Arkansas. He was so small the doctor could hold him in one palm.

He survived, but he was always small, topping out at 5'1" (1.55m) in a family where my dad is the next shortest at 6'. You could always tell when you were getting grown up when you were taller than Uncle Bill. :)

He started developing some decent health problems in his 50s, but those could also be explained by all the drugs he did in the 70s, maybe...
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years
    BFP3 - 3/31/14, Harmony Test 6/5/14 - It's a BOY!

• Options
    My cousin was 41 weeks when she have birth via c-section. She went into labor around 38.5 weeks and they stopped it, again at 40 weeks and they stopped it again. The doc had to get my baby cousin breathing because he was in there too long... It gives me an unsettled feeling about stopping my labor when I'm so close to due date. I hope nothing like that would happen to anyone.... It's scary not knowing if your child is going to start breathing...
    DH and I: Married 6/9/2017
    DS: birthday 12/17/14

• Options
    My cousin was 41 weeks when she have birth via c-section. She went into labor around 38.5 weeks and they stopped it, again at 40 weeks and they stopped it again. The doc had to get my baby cousin breathing because he was in there too long... It gives me an unsettled feeling about stopping my labor when I'm so close to due date. I hope nothing like that would happen to anyone.... It's scary not knowing if your child is going to start breathing...
    WTF?! Why would they STOP natural labor at 38.5 or 40 weeks?! And then did a c-section?! That doesn't make sense!
  • Options
    argyledogsargyledogs member
    edited September 2014
    Whoops, double post
  • Options
    I was born at 26 weeks in 1982. I was 1 lb 13 oz. I had a twin who didn't survive (because of his lungs- boys lungs develop slower than girls inutero), but I have had very few problems.  A slight heart murmur, a lazy left eye (which runs in my family so I think it was just genetics) and have always been really short. I did have seizures some the first year and was a little behind in milestones the first year or two, but then caught up. I think the closer to term you can get the better. 
  • Options

Love this -- and I think it should be reposted when we get closer to our edd's. It's really SO important to let a baby come on their own (unless medically necessary) in their own time. It really drives me crazy when women choose to induce without proper knowledge and because they're uncomfortable.

I hated and I mean HATED every single person that came across my path once I hit my EDD with DD. I was good to go until 40 weeks, but after that I hated the world. I cried every single day that came and went, but I knew she'd come when she was ready. I ended up being 5 days late (and taught my 3rd graders up until I delivered) and wouldn't change a thing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I feel like I need to contribute. My son, who is 11, was born at 25 weeks has zero residual issues as a result of his prematurity. However, his road through the NICU was rough for the first two months. For those that were micropremies and survived with little to no issues that is amazing.

The recommendation still stands that my cerclage be removed at 36 weeks. However, we waited until 38 w and she was born at 38w3d. I will probably push it back to as close to 39 weeks if my doctors are ok with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"