Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Taking baby on short trips in the car seat - how long is too long?

My baby is about to turn three months and I am wondering what types of trips/excursions out of the house do people take with their babies? I don't like to put my baby in the car seat for long since I know our baby gets really uncomfortable but my husband seems to think it is okay. I think going somewhere twenty minutes away is okay so that I can take her out of the seat but when we are talking about a long trip (like an hour each way) I think that is totally unreasonable with such a small baby. Especially since if you are going somewhere, its not like the baby can come out of the car seat and sit next to you, stretch and get comfortable before having to go back in the car seat. What does everyone else think?

Re: Taking baby on short trips in the car seat - how long is too long?

• My baby hates the car seat though. She doesn't like to be strapped in and confined. I feel so bad going anywhere with a long car ride. If she were older when we got to the destination at least she could get out, sit, maybe stand, but either way change positions and move on her own. Because she is so young she can't do that. Anyone else with me on this? 
  • Loading the player...
  • But she can get put and stretch. Take a blanket, find a patch of floor or grass and let her lay on it and move around for a bit. Doors she scream when she's in the seat? Maybe the straps are too tight, or too loose. Also, my oldest was so much happier once we switched her out of the infant bucket and into a convertible, so you might try that. Not trying to disagree, just to give some options you haven't thought of. If you were in the car longer, she might just nod off.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• I took little man on a 4 hour trip when he was 2 months old. It was great. He mostly just slept. I got out once to feed him, change diaper and then back on the road.

It was a lot easier then than it is now.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • also I would swaddle him (one that is made for a carseat) and that helped. He didn't like his hands free

• It takes a 2 hour drive to get food...that can't be changed. We have to drive that far. (we live in a remote area) so we plan to go during the LO's nap time, and clearly if we have to, pull over at rest areas to stretch out.
    (we also have to make a 9 hour trip back home after the baby is born) we are kinda dreading the trip knowing we will have to stop a zillion times along the way. But we are making the most out of it. Planning various of sights, parks to stop at on the way back home.
    Down in the city, it normally takes an hour to get anywhere! Since the traffic is so bad I wouldn't let this limit my outings. Its all about planning. Making sure you have toys, books, and if need to make a stop do so!
  • I'm doing a 7.5 hr trip by myself with a 6 week old! My plan is to stop every 2 hours for feeding/diaper changes and a bathroom or meal break for myself. During that time my peanut will be out of her seat and able to stretch, it may be a long trip alone but will be worth it to see family! When she was 2 weeks old we took an hour long trip for a day of shopping & she did just fine. I'd go crazy if I stayed within 20 minutes only!!!
    Happily married for......
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I took an 8 hour car ride with my daughter when she was 4 weeks. This time we haven't made any trips just because nothing has come up. I will be taking my son on a 2 hour trip when he's almost 2 months. He will probably just sleep through the whole ride.
  • Is it possible your LO just hates your car seat? I've talked to many people who switched from infant bucket to convertible and vice versa and it helped with their lo's car rides. She also might feel lonely, do you talk to her and reach back to touch her? Is is possible to try having someone sit in the back with her to help her get used it it?

sometimes it is the first 20-30 minutes that totally suck and then they settle down into a nap. Another thing to consider is are you putting her in the car full or after having gone an hour without eating? It might be that your LO gets nauseated. You might want to also try doing car rides when she is sleepy/asleep already.

My son loves the car so we have not limited our trips at all. He only gets angry when he needs a stretch or mostly when he is hungry. He would happily hang out in his car seat all day if I let him.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • I can't imagine limiting myself to 20 minute trips as long as my child is in a carseat. We have no problem taking him for however long we need to. He may not love his carseat but in this day and age too bad it is a way of life for several years now so he might as well get used to it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agreed with your husband. Have a glass of wine and re-read your OP. You might change your mind. 

Heck, our hospital was 45 minutes away from our house and we got stuck in traffic on the way home. So my LO's first trip in the car was easily an hour plus. He is no worse for wear. 

• I don't know how your surviving not going anywhere. Once DD arrived our lives didn't change much. We still go on day trips, ie. to the CNE in Toronto on the weekend, it's 1.5 hours each way then she was in the car seat in the stroller for the rest of the day (with breaks for nursing & cuddles). If your baby doesn't get used to it now are you not going to take then out when they get older and really don't like the car seat?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

Oct 16/13. BFP @ 11 dpo

Oct 21/13. Beta 360 @ 16 dpo

Oct 23/13. Beta 749 @ 18 dpo

Nov 24/13. Saw HB (141bpm) & baby wiggle around via ultrasound @ 9w5d due date changed to June 23!!

Dec 6/13. Heard HB (122bpm) via Doppler at OB @ 11w3d

Jan 9/14. Heard HB (124bpm) via Doppler at OB @ 16w3d irregular beat

Jan 29/14. DH felt kicks for first time @ 19w3d

Feb 2/14. Saw baby via ultrasound (quick scan in ER) @ 19w6d

Feb 6/14. Heard HB (126-134bpm) via Doppler @ 20w3d normal beat

Feb 15/14. AS - baby looked great (measured 1w small) and would NOT let us see sex! @ 21w5d 

Feb 20/14  3D US - its a GIRL!!!!! @ 22w3d

Feb 27/14. Repeat AS for more pics, HB 124bpm  @ 23w3d

Mar 6/14. Heard HB (130bpm) via Doppler @ 24w3d

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers  

• Well, at just a week old, we drove to stay at a lake house three hours away.  Had no problem with it.  Probably stopped two hours out, but that was for a diaper change, feeding, and every else's bathroom/dinner break.  He slept the whole time.  Baby fell asleep.  Can't imagine limiting ourselves to a 20-minute trip.  We're about to make the trip again when he's three-weeks-old.
  • We drove 3 hours each way when she was 10 days old, and 4 hours each way when she was 5 weeks. No problems at all with having baby in the car, just need to plan for stops.
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

BabyFruit Ticker>
  • I would be OK with it. I've already done some trips out to see family and friends. Some trips were 2 hours b/c of location, and some were just because of traffic. You just have to be aware of being flexible. If LO needs to eat, etc, pull over, or go to a rest-stop.  If you are worried, sit in the back with the baby. You can monitor how LO is doing, and you might start to feel more comfortable with taking longer drives. 

Being with my LO rocks! DD born 6/13/14.
  • My LO loves the car seat! So far we have been about 30 mins max with her in the car. This Friday we are going to my parents which is just under 3 hours but are timing it around her.. so we will wake up with her at 5am (which is routine) big feed, then changer her and be out for 6am. she should sleep like she normally does until 9-10am which by then we will be at my mums ! HURRAH! heres to hoping. LO is 5 weeks old. 
  • It was also like that for my DS until he reached two months. Afterwards, he was better in the car seat.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"