February 2015 Moms
Options

Heart Palpitations

On Wednesday in went to the ER with heart palpitations. One of the times I couldn't catch my breath. My EKG was abnormal and I had to have a holster heart monitor for 24 hours. My potassium was also low and they ended up giving me 40mg. I experienced them 3x again tonight, except I didn't lose my breath.

I'm 28 and perfectly healthy. I've never had any issues before. I'm 15 weeks pregnant. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Re: Heart Palpitations

• Options
    Yes, my doctor said its because normally your brain gets blood priority but right now it's your uterus. The heart stuff is the body struggling to figure out where to send the blood. It really scared me and now it's just annoying.
  • Options
    Yes! Almost the exact same story this week. Happened with my last pregnancy too. During pregnancy its called a heart flow murmur. More blood in your system so your heart is working harder.

My OB said stay out of the heat, drink lots of water, eat some bananas for potassium, and take it easy. If my heart rate gets to 140, I'm supposed to go to ER right away.

It's scary! I know what you're going through. I don't like the helpless feeling.
    Anniversary 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a potassium deficiency with baby number 2 and had to wear a heart monitor for months. I ended up being put on a potassium supplement for the remainder of my pregnancy as I just couldn't stomach the bananas. I'm currently pregnant with baby number three and no issues thus far. It's a scary feeling but managable. Good luck!
  • Options
    Scary! Hoping you don't have any more heart palpitations. A woman's body does strange things while carrying a baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"