September 2014 Moms
Options

Ryan Henry's Birth Story- Really Long, Sorry!

Well, we've been home for just over 24 hours and things are going pretty well! Here is how Ryan Henry entered our lives: 

I had been diagnosed with Preeclampsia on Friday, August 20th after having high-blood pressure much of pregnancy. My 24 hr urine collection showed it had progressed to pre-e so I was place on bed rest on Aug. 18th after really high BP readings. On the 20th, my OBGYN called and let me know I'd be induced on Tuesday, Aug. 26th and I was to head to the hospital at 8pm to start the Cervidril. 

Tuesday, August 26th: Around 5:30pm, I get a call from L&D saying do not come in at 8pm. They are out of beds and super busy, I'm supposed to call back at 9pm to see if there are any rooms available then. That was pretty devestating, I had totally mentally prepared to be induced that night so the change of plans was frustrating. When I called back at 9, luckily, there was space so we were told to come on in. We get to the hospital around 9:20, I get my IV line inserted in my forearm. It took a couple of tries to get that in and was really painful! They took a lot of blood for lab work and the cord blood donation kit. My nurse then inserted the Cervidril, took my vitals, and said she'd be back to check vitals a few times over the next few hours. At midnight, she brought me my "last meal" since I wouldn't be able to eat until baby was here. She also brought some Ambien which really didn't work too well, didn't get a whole lot of sleep that night. 

Wednesday, August 27th:  My nurse came in around 5am to remove Cerividril and told me to shower. At 6am, they started Pitocin. The contractions weren't really all that bad, more like just some cramping. I was only dialated to 1 cm and about 50% effaced. My OB came to check on me at 8am, I had dialated to 2 cm and effaced about 60%. At that point she broke my water....there was so much! It just kept gushing out anytime I moved...gross. Contractions steadily picked up as the morning wore on. My mom came up to help cheer me on and DH was absolutely incredible. T

he Pitocin made my contractions really close together and intense. I'd have 3 in a row w/ about 30 seconds between each one and then a 2 minute break...rinse and repeat. It was exhausting and by noon I was ready for some drugs. The nurse checks me and I'm still at a 2. Cue tears of frustration. I asked for some Stadol and got some relief pretty quickly. It didn't really take the pain away, but it made it so I really didn't care about the pain. It made me feel very "drunk" and it was fantastic. :) Unfortunately, it didn't last too long, only for about an hour. After it wore off, I was crying through the contractions, trying to breathe, and listening to some calming music. 

At 3pm, I asked for an epidural. They pumped me with some fluids and the anesthesiologist came pretty quickly. Baby was wedged up in my ribs so I couldn't lean forward as much as I needed to, coupled with really intense back to back contractions and I was really struggling to do what the dr asked. The dr gave the numbing shot and that was really painful. It worked pretty quickly and he inserted the epidural on the first try. It was incredible once it kicked into action. I will definitely be getting another for my next labor! I could not feel the contractions at all anymore but still could move my legs and feet pretty well. It worked perfectly. 

At 9pm, I was checked by my nurse and had only progressed to 3 cm. Contractions still were not following a pattern that they wanted so they had me try some different positions to labor in. Around 9:15pm, the OB on call came in to discuss c-section due to lack of progress. Dialating 1 cm in 12 hrs was not fun or okay. Baby was still doing well but at that point I was ready for it to be over and was feeling OK about the surgery. By 9:20, I was in surgery. At 9:47pm Ryan Henry entered the world! The first thing the OB says was "Oh my gosh, this baby is breech!" Well, no wonder I wasn't progressing! Up until last week, he was still head down so had flipped around at some point recently. In hindsight, I am SOOO glad we did the c-section instead of continuing to labor forever and struggling to deliver vaginally a breech baby. His cries were absolutely incredible and he has a head full of dark hair. He weighed 5lbs 14oz and was 18 inches long. He peed twice in the operating room...silly baby. 

Recovery has been surprisingly easy. I have been staying on a strict  schedule for pain meds and have been feeling great. I've hardly had any post-partum bleeding which is a huge perk. Breast feeding has been a challenge but my mom is a lactation consultant so she's been a huge help. Absolutely loving life right now!! Sorry this ended up being so long and for the giant pictures! :)
imageimageimage

TTC #1 Since October 2012
DX PCOS May 2013
Clomid 50-150mg- No Response
Moved to RE October 2013
Nov. 2013: IUI #1 Letrozole + Ovidrel = BFN
Dec. 2013: IUI #2 Letrozole + Ovidrel= BFP on 1/8/2014 !! EDD 9/17/2014
Beta #1 (12 dpo): HCG 27, Progesterone 15 (starting on supplements)
Beta #2 (15 dpo): HCG 297, Progesterone 29
Beta #3 (17 dpo): HCG 667, Progesterone 34
1st Ultrasound 1/28 (6 weeks + 1) Baby measuring exactly as it should, HB 118!
2nd Ultrasound 2/5 Baby measuring 7w4d, HB 133. Everything looks perfect!
3rd Ultrasound 4/29 (A/S) Our Baby BOY is measuring perfectly and everything looked great! HB160
Diagnosed with Pre-E at 36 weeks, placed on bed rest, induction schedule for 37 weeks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 on 7/30/15 EDD 4/7/16 MC @ 9 weeks
BFP #3 on 7/23/16 EDD 3/30/16

Re: Ryan Henry's Birth Story- Really Long, Sorry!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"