September 2014 Moms

Crying while eating? (The baby, not me lol)

So Emma is almost 4 weeks old and now it seems like every time she eats in the past few days she is crying/whining. She does it at the breast and with a bottle no matter what is in the bottle (supplementing with expressed breast milk after bf and two bottles of formula a day). It starts after a few sucks ether way and it breaks my heart to hear her so upset and me not knowing how to help. We've tried burping her more often, singing to her, giving the feed at the first possible sign of hunger and a bunch of different positions and nothing seems to help. Any advice? if not could any S+TMs tell me if this is just a phase that she will grow out of? A light at the end of the tunnel would be awesome right now.

Re: Crying while eating? (The baby, not me lol)

• She eats while making whining noises and sometimes comes off to cry for a few seconds before latching again with the whining and sucking. She does seem to have a bit of gas, no thrush and no sore i could see in her mouth. Although i did see something that looks like it could be a lip tie.... I called the pedi yesterday but he had already left and the nurse said to call back on Monday to see if he can fit us in sooner than their next free appointment (which would be a week from monday). I do have some sensitive stomach formula that we were given as a sample... perhaps I'll give that a try if we do end up having to wait to see the doctor.

• Did it just start or has it been going on all along? This is what kellymom says: https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/fussy-while-nursing/
    image        image
  • Loading the player...
  • Poor baby(and mama!) sounds like it could be reflux or gas.. Do you have a LC you could ask?

• Could be reflux. My DS was similar. Have you tried eliminating foods from your diet? Also could be a milk protein sensitivity. Changing formula may help, but will also involve elimination diet on your part.
    IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with the others that is sounds like either reflux or maybe a sensativity to something in your diet or the formula? Also, we always found gripe water helped calm DS and occasionally gas drops. I think in the beginning it is alot of trial and error! Good luck, it can be frustrating figuring out what works for LOs!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Sorry you're experiencing this. I know it's heartbreaking. Have you noticed anything different with her stools? Anything green or mucousy? That may be an indication of an allergy or sensitivity in addition to fussing during feedings. DS had similar symptoms with green mucousy stool. I cut out many things from my diet including dairy but it continued. It turned out that he had reflux due to an egg allergy. I would try to rule out all other causes before pursuing elimination diet since can be very difficult nutritionally and emotionally. Good luck!
    Big Brother Nolan 07.30.12
  • Maybe she is allergic to something in the formula and something ur eating. My mom had that problem with my brother. He was allergic to dairy products which she was eating and it is in formula
  • i was going to say possibly something with the frenulum also which a LC should be able to help recognize if you have access to that. Stay strong!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"