November 2014 Moms

Labor classes

My husband and I are thinking about skipping the labor classes. So I'm curious what most couples do.

Re: Labor classes

• Loading the player...
  • We took a 4 hour class last weekend and I'm so glad we did, especially for my H's sake. I've been reading up on it but he hasn't read a single thing. He walked away from it with a completely different idea/mindset of labor and I'm very grateful for that. I would absolutely recommend taking a class. Knowledge is definitely power.
    BFP 2.22.14 | EDD 11.2.14 | DS 11.7.14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We took an 8 hour class at our hospital a few Saturdays ago, the first 4 was labor and delivery and the second 4 was breast feeding and infant care.

We were both definitely skeptical going in to it, but were SO glad we went. That class and the hospital tour have made us both feel much more comfortable with what's going to happen in a couple of months.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I didn't take one first time around and really wish I had. I figured since I would get an epidural it didn't really matter, but then when my epi had problems I was left with nothing up my sleeve to help with coping with the pain. Seek out info and at least read a book/watch some videos that talk about pain management. By taking a class you won't be able to put off getting this info.
  • My H wasn't keen or enthusiastic when I first signed us up for a series that included child birth prep, infant care, breastfeeding, and epidural/pain management given by the hospital where we will deliver at.

We just finished the 4 week course for child birth prep and despite complaining at first why we didn't just opt for an all-day Saturday class, he acknowledges that he is likely to remember more given the length of the course instead of all at once. This gives me hope that he will come away with something useful from the infant care class as he has ZERO experience with babies.

• Highly recommend it! We are taking a six week course and I love it! I am an obsessive researcher and thought I had read everything there is to know about pregnancy, labor and childbirth, but I still have learned quite a few things. I found it particularly helpful to practice comfort techniques and positions in class. It's a lot easier to figure out if you're doing it right from an instructor and other classmates than from reading a book or watching a video.

I think the two biggest bonuses that have come from our classes so far are bonding with DH and prompting conversations about his role that we hadn't had in-depth before as well as meeting other parents who are expecting around the same time (hello playmates!).
    BabyFetus Tickerimage
  • I'm also doing a bunch of classes. I'm doing Bradley classes and I think they really are a great investment. I feel so much better going about labor. I'm also doing seperate baby care/CPR/ and breastfeeding classes.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We are doing a 6 week class now. Even though i taught childcare and birth at the high school level i knew there was still so much to learn. And its definitely helped me become more comfortable with the idea of giving birth at our hospital - knowing where to go and what to expect. Its been really good for my husband too since he has little to no experience with babies.
    A month or so ago we went to a breastfeedinf class, too. Besides just reading about it, it was nice to have someone answer all my questions and give examples of all the options there are.
  • I didn't take one! This will be my third child, so I did survive the first two-lol! I can't really say if it would have been better since I don't know that. But, I know that no stories I've heard or books I read prepared me. I'm not necessarily saying it was better or worse, but just unique...my own. Good luck. My opinion-I'm sure the classes wouldn't hurt, but def not necessary.
  • We are signed up for a 4-week course that starts next week. DH doesn't want to know everything that could go wrong, but I told him he had to take it so he would know if things are going right. I think it will help us both feel a little bit more comfortable.

Also, I had a woman at work who didn't take it. Her water broke in the middle of the night. She went to the hospital, they sent her home because she wasn't far enough along to admit. She was totally unprepared to labor with out an epidural until the hospital felt she was in labor enough to be admitted. Sh ended up getting no rest because she was freaking out about not being in the hospital. She ended up in the emergency room demanding to be admitted. After getting her epidural later, she pushed for 3 hours then gave up when the doctor gave her the option of pushing for another hour or just going in for a c-section. I wonder if she had been better prepared for the per-admittance to the hospital labor if she would have had more energy to push and things would have gone more smoothly.

I am doing everything I can to ensure I don't have an experience like hers! I do not need the extra stress on top of being in labor.
    ~~Signature~~
    Me: 36, DH: 38, Together since: 2006, Married: 9/2011 
    **TW Living Child**

BFP 9/19/20 - EDD - 6/1/21

BFP 2/2014 - DS - 10/2014

• We took them.  My DH was a little turned off about doing them but I think he found it pretty informative.  You might not need all the information that is given but I learned some good techniques (some I can even use now to relax and relax my pain in my lower back)

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • We are taking one that is all day on a saturday.  And we're taking Newborn Basics (WTF do we do with this small thing?!) and a breastfeeding class.

DH asked if it was necessary that he go to the BF class and I told him yes, since he'll be my #1 support person.  So he's going (as well as to the birth and Newborn class).

I don't see why you wouldn't take one if you have the resources.  Better to go in prepared than just wing it.

• My doctor told me they are pointless if you plan on getting an epidural.  I am taking them.  I do not want an epidural but my husband wants me to get one.  so well see who wins that battle come November. I am mainly taking them because I want to meet other moms in the area. 

N14 mommy to be :)

My favorites: husband, chocolate.

• MrsLillyG said:
    My doctor told me they are pointless if you plan on getting an epidural.  I am taking them.  I do not want an epidural but my husband wants me to get one.  so well see who wins that battle come November. I am mainly taking them because I want to meet other moms in the area. 
    Why would your DH care if you get an epidural?  Weird.  Usually it's the opposite - DH would want you to skip....

• MrsLillyG said:
    My doctor told me they are pointless if you plan on getting an epidural.  I am taking them.  I do not want an epidural but my husband wants me to get one.  so well see who wins that battle come November. I am mainly taking them because I want to meet other moms in the area. 
    Why would your DH care if you get an epidural?  Weird.  Usually it's the opposite - DH would want you to skip....

He does not want to see me in pain.  which I hear is the main reason husbands want their wives to get it.

• MrsLillyG said:
    If I had a dollar for every person I knew that had a crappy, anything-but-effective epidural I would be buying myself a very nice new purse today.   :P    If I had another dollar for everyone whose labour was moving too fast to get the epidural I would be buying a wallet to match my new purse.

I hope your class is good for you and your husband...  and meeting some new friends sounds great, too.  
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• MrsLillyG said:
    MrsLillyG said:

He does not want to see me in pain.  which I hear is the main reason husbands want their wives to get it.
    I guess.  But I feel like if you think you can handle the pain/don't want one, your DH would be supportive of that?

• MrsLillyG said:
    MrsLillyG said:

I guess.  But I feel like if you think you can handle the pain/don't want one, your DH would be supportive of that?
    He will be supportive no matter what happens come delivery.  He knows that it is ultimately my decision.  But he will surely continue to research and ask around about the advantages of getting an epidural and relay that info to me up until our LO's bday.  I don't mind him giving me information.

• MrsLillyG said:

I can't believe an ob said that! What if you progress too quickly or can't get one for another reason?!? That's crazy talk in my book. Glad you are taking one :-)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • MrsLillyG said:
    MrsLillyG said:
    MrsLillyG said:

He will be supportive no matter what happens come delivery.  He knows that it is ultimately my decision.  But he will surely continue to research and ask around about the advantages of getting an epidural and relay that info to me up until our LO's bday.  I don't mind him giving me information.
    Yes, there are some advantages, but the disadvantages are very real, too.   I hope in his research that he has a look at those as well.  Here is a decent overview... 

Lilypie - (C6hS)

• MrsLillyG said:
    MrsLillyG said:
    MrsLillyG said:

Yes, there are some advantages, but the disadvantages are very real, too.   I hope in his research that he has a look at those as well.  Here is a decent overview... 

I'll pass along the info to him. thanks.  I have told him about the cons that I have found. He just sees that mostly everyone we know has had one, and raves about them and therefore thinks its just part of modern science and something that I should take advantage of.  I see his point, but I still do not want one. 
    I do realize it will be harder to go without one if my H wants me to get one.

• I don't see why you wouldn't take one if you have the resources.  Better to go in prepared than just wing it.
    This! My initial reaction to the OP was "OMG why wouldn't you want to take a class?"  I know another pregnant woman who has had the 'ignorance is bliss' attitude about labor, and it just boggles me.  I don't get it.  Can't wrap my brain around it.  For me  - this is the most important thing that has ever happened to my body, I want to know everything I can about it to be as prepared as possible.
    CafeMom Tickers

N14 January Siggy Challenge - What Sucks About Work

• MrsLillyG said:
    MrsLillyG said:
    MrsLillyG said:
    MrsLillyG said:

I'll pass along the info to him. thanks.  I have told him about the cons that I have found. He just sees that mostly everyone we know has had one, and raves about them and therefore thinks its just part of modern science and something that I should take advantage of.  I see his point, but I still do not want one. 
    I do realize it will be harder to go without one if my H wants me to get one.

You will indeed need his support if you want to go drug-free.   

Maybe tease him that "Oh, you just want it to be easier on YOU...   If I am drugged to the max and passed out you don't have to do anything."   ;)

But seriously, some of those complications are nothing to sneeze at.  I hope he hears you.  <3
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• We only had a few options for classes at our hospital so we watched this free online classes here: 

I learned a few things, but nothing I hadn't already read online or in a book. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"