February 2014 Moms

Dog Bite Help

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: Dog Bite Help

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Your H is ready to put the poor dog down? I mean I get that the safety of your kids is number one priority but I think it's extreme. If you don't have the time and ability to supervise and train the kids and dog, then it's best to find the dog a new home. Dogs needs training and more importantly kids need to be trained as well and consistency is the key. So it cannot be a one time correction to DD about giving the dog space but something that is followed through every single time even by the nanny in your absence.

Also was it really a bite bite or the dog trying to show displeasure about something? I am no dog expert but my dog used to kind of nip or hold my hand like a bite occasionally to direct me or stop me from doing something. It's was an accepted gester and it never really hurt me.
  • I can't believe your husband would consider putting your dog down over something like that. A dog is a member of the family. I have two dogs and one of them is mildly aggressive toward DD every once in awhile when she feels cornered and we're just trying to teach DD how to interact with her.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • I understand a bit of what you're feeling. I posted a few weeks ago that one of my dogs bit my MIL. (Her dog attacked mine. Then MIL got in the middle of the dog fight. WTF). We were super upset, and at first wondered if we'd be able to keep him, briefly talked about giving him to my parents, etc. it was surprise and panic. When we calmed down we looked at the situation again, and we're able to realize our dog isn't a danger to the baby. Of course we keep a very close eye on them, never leave baby and dog alone together, etc.

I hope that you're able to take a few days to decide what to do, rather than make an emotional decision. I really hate to think of a good dog being put down, and really hope that at the very least you can find it a new good home. Perhaps when the emotions have cleared your husband will be able to look at things differently.
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • ShePersistedShePersisted member
    edited August 2014
    Ok the more I think about this the more mad it is making me. I mean it's not about culture. It is about compassion and love for your pet and I think you need to say that aloud and clear to your H. My cousins have a dog that is not allowed in the house due to religious beliefs however the dog has his own kennel which is well kept, the dog is trained and the kids are allowed regular playtime which is always supervised. None of the kids are allowed outside to play with the dog after dark because the dog is trained to be a watch dog and to protect their estate at night.

My point being, if H feels the dog is not a part of the family that way and has a purpose then for god sake let him just do that and don't confuse the poor animal by allowing kids to be around him and interact. If at all that's not the case then he has to accept the fact that he will need to supervise interactions, train train and retrain the kids ( including the nannys) on interaction, and occasionally expect a mild change in behavior due to being provoked differently. He is a dog and not a machine so he cannot expect the same output out if the poor animal every single time no matter what!!

At the end of the day if you are not willing to commit to the animal then please please do find him another home or else this is just another accident waiting to happen.
  • keags5496 said:

I'm honestly sick to my stomach that putting the dog down is even an option on the table. Based on what you said, it sounds like your pup reached a breaking point. We do that too. Ever felt overwhelmed and said something harsh? No difference. If he has been being manhandeled by the nanny's kids without a human intervention he probably just feels like he needs to take matters into his own hands, er paws.

I agree with PP that if he has wanted to hurt DD he would have. He didnt so it was his way of communicating with you. I would start by setting some boundaries with your nanny. If those aren't met, Id be letting her go. Then work on Helping DD recognize his signs.

I'd definitely be setting boundaries with the nanny - if she is going to bring her children into your dogs home then they need to respect that it's the dogs space. If she is unwilling to make her children accept the boundaries then she shouldn't be in your dogs house.

The snap/nip of your daughter was exactly that, a nip. It was your dogs way of asserting her own boundaries.

A pet is part of the family, and it has recently been subjected to a big upheaval with the arrival of LO. Would you get rid of any other member of your family for snapping?
  • RondackHikerRondackHiker member
    edited August 2014
    Oh and as far as the ag background... Most old farmers I know would say you sit on top of a dog who has a treat and you are asking to get bit. They'd see it as a practical lesson.

image image
  • @MissDemeanor‌ - Thank you. Your response is so helpful. I really appreciate it.

@CiaoMama‌ - Thank you. That is what we do. We will keep doing it.

@RondackHiker‌- I appreciate the book recommendation. I have read several books, one being Ceasar Millan. I agree that this was my fault. I have made that clear. DD1 was not "on top of the dog." Obviously she was too close, but she was not close enough to touch the dog.

As for the nannys kids, as I have already said. I am planning to talk to her.

I feel like maybe some of you are only reading some of my words, and not all of it as a whole.

You might be right on this one (with me at least). I'm kind of stuck on the fact that putting your dog down was/is even an option in this situation. It's hard for me to see past this and it makes me really sad.
  • edited August 2014
  • @WildFlower26‌ - I think I can understand to where your H is coming from a bit. My H also comes from an ag background and he also has a very hard time seeing dogs (especially large dogs) as being pets instead of farm animals.
    I grew up with dogs living in the home as pets.
    Dogs were never allowed in the home for him. He had also said that if any dog ever bites LO the dog will be put down. I pray that this never even becomes an issue.

Anyway, I hope you can help your H to see a different side of things (as I try to do with my H). Good luck, both to you and to your dog!
  • @MissDemeanor‌ - Thank you. Your response is so helpful. I really appreciate it.

@CiaoMama‌ - Thank you. That is what we do. We will keep doing it.

@RondackHiker‌- I appreciate the book recommendation. I have read several books, one being Ceasar Millan. I agree that this was my fault. I have made that clear. DD1 was not "on top of the dog." Obviously she was too close, but she was not close enough to touch the dog.

As for the nannys kids, as I have already said. I am planning to talk to her.

I feel like maybe some of you are only reading some of my words, and not all of it as a whole.

You might be right on this one (with me at least). I'm kind of stuck on the fact that putting your dog down was/is even an option in this situation. It's hard for me to see past this and it makes me really sad.
    I appreciate that. Thank you. That is just the thing I do not want it to be an option. I am working on trying to put together an alternative plan.

I know for sure you all have/do ocassionally disagree with your SO on major issues. Nothing you all say is going to change his long formed opinions about the appropriate role of our pets. But if I have a constructive action plan in place, I may be able to.

ETA @breadpudding‌ - I just realized you are JA#s. If anyone can relate to complicated issues with your SO, I would imagine it is you.
    I see your point. Honestly, I do. My heart hurts for you in this situation because I can relate. Having a stubborn SO is hard. Especially so if we are just as stubborn as they are. No one wants to budge in either direction and it makes things complicated. I hope you can present your DH with the reasons why your dog shouldn't be put down, along with ideas for preventative measures that can be taken instead. I'm sorry. :(
  • Any update?

image image
  • I agree with @RondackHiker. And I keep thinking about this situation.

I understand getting a new nanny and the stresses involved in firing/getting a new one....but, is that really less easy than euthanizing (or even discussing) your dog? Who's been a part of your family? Who didn't even break skin? Especially when you're saying there's been some other issues with the nanny? 

I would also worry that if that's how the kids treat the dog, how do they treat your kids? your house? your belongings? 

My sort of gut instinct thought, when i read that his behaviour was deteriorating, is that he is sensing the tense/stressful atmosphere. Between the kids/nanny, your H, and I imagine you're probably stressed and worried around him too.

Or it's possible you're noticing/looking for things previously missed due to these recent events?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers  
      Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Avswolf said:

I doubt very seriously it's your family that's stressing the dog out.  I'm pretty sure it's the nanny's kids.  I agree with PP, she needs to take responsibility for her own kids, and if she own't even acknowledge that they're strseeing your dog out, then she doesn't need to be watching your LO.  Perhaps your dog is standing up for itself because no one else will.

I also agree you need to take the dog to see a vet.  There could be an underlying issue.

I agree with all of this, except I call yelling and yanking a dog around by the collar abuse. Yanking the dog around can damage their neck, especially if they're small or older. Imagine having your neck yanked on!

Please have a vet check the dog out as well as making sure the dog does not need to be around the nanny and kids. I'd lock him in your bedroom with water and toys and a fan and let him have a relaxing day.

image image
  • edited September 2014
  • breadpuddingbreadpudding member
    edited September 2014

In a not so shocking turn of events the nanny quit. So there is that.

Yay?

I know this is a bittersweet thing. Hang in there.

ETA ((hugs))
  • In a not so shocking turn of events the nanny quit. So there is that.

I'm sorry she put you in a lurch, but I think it's for the best. Her kids were going to cause you to lose your dog one way or another, plus I don't think she was all too concerned about the comfort of your kids. You'll find someone awesome.
  • It sounds like you are feeling all the feels...exhausted, overwhelmed, etc. I just want to give you a big hug. I'm glad you're feeling better about the situation.
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Sounds like a win to me....a pain that you have to find a new nanny, but now you can get one who actually listens to your needs, has a responsible attitude to the kids and dog, and you get to keep the family pet :)
    Plus, I'd be mentioning that to your mum about being stuck with an unreliable nanny at her insistence if she was ever super annoying me
  • So what's the dog doing that his behavior is deteriorating?

image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"