Baby Names
Options

Sibling name to go with Quinn

DD's name is Quinn Delaney (I know, I know- we used a great boy's name for a girl).  We will find out our new LO's sex in a month, but are tossing around ideas for names.  Our current list is:

Girl- Sawyer, Zoe, Palmer, Avery, Harper

Boy- Miles, Parker, Cole, Jack, Peyton

We want something that sounds good with Quinn, but I'm not 100% in love with any of our choices yet.  Any suggestions of names that would work or any one on our current list that you're drawn to?
imageimageimage
Anniversary              Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sibling name to go with Quinn

• Options
    Zoe by default. Your boy list is fine, but your "girl" name list needs to be burned. It sounds harsh I know, but they are really bad. I like sawyer---- for a boy. What about juniper, Piper, clementine, or Arden?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @chapstix7 - ouch, yep, that is harsh.  I know that the names with masculine roots that are now being treated as uni-sex aren't everyone's style, but at least I'm not making up names, picking ones from the top 5, or using kreative spellings, right?  Those are the ones that I think need to be burned. I did ask for opinions, though, so that's what I'm getting.  I guess I should add that our last name is a traditional feminine name, so maybe that's why I lean towards uni-sex names?  

I do like Piper.  It was on our list for DD1, so we might put it back into consideration for this LO.  I do love your LO's name from your siggy, though- Violet is one of my faves and DH and I talked about it at length, but just sounded a little off for a sib-set with Quinn.
    imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just something to consider, when your daughter gets married she may not have a feminine last name. While I appreciate not making up names and you-neek spellings, boy names on girls are just as bad. With that being said, I don't mind Quinn on a girl. I think there is a happy medium between frilly girly girl and a straight up boy name. What about Meredith, sage, Blair, Darcy, Morgan, Aubrey, Leigh?
  • Options
    @chapstix7 - ouch, yep, that is harsh.  I know that the names with masculine roots that are now being treated as uni-sex aren't everyone's style, but at least I'm not making up names, picking ones from the top 5, or using kreative spellings, right?  Those are the ones that I think need to be burned. I did ask for opinions, though, so that's what I'm getting.  I guess I should add that our last name is a traditional feminine name, so maybe that's why I lean towards uni-sex names?  

You haven't set a very high bar for yourself there if those are your qualifications.

Zoe is a very nice name. It is the only girl name so it gets my vote. I also think it sounds modern and spunky enough to pair with Quinn so that it doesn't seem like a huge juxtaposition (like sisters Quinn and Violet would be IMO.) 

Palmer is completely dreadful on anyone. On a girl it is just beyond beyond. Are you not familiar with Rosie Palmer and her 5 sisters? 

For a boy I would vote for Peyton followed by Parker. They are both sometimes used on girls so I think it would be a good way to continue your unisex theme. Because if you like unisex then it really ought to go both ways.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @chapstix7 - That's a good point about possible future last name.  I guess my definition of straight up boys name is different than others- i.e. I would never name my daughter Maxwell (a la Jessica Simpson).  Personally, I felt the ones on my list are on the uni-sex side.  It's good to know that there are others that feel differently.  Out of that list, I do like Darcy- definitely one to consider.

@queenbone - Obviously I like the names that are on my list.  I was giving my opinion on the names that truly need to be burned after being told that mine needed to be.  Those 3 things were not the qualifiers for names we liked.  Holy cow, what an awful story about that sweet little girl.  I had not heard of it prior to your post.  Palmer for us is derivative of DH's grandmother's maiden name "De Palma" as a nod to his Italian heritage.  He hates it too, so it's definitely getting removed from the list.  Thanks for your opinion on Zoe sounding like a good sib set aside from "winning" for being the only girl name.  I like it, too, for those exact reasons, and it's DH's favorite.  :)
    imageimageimage

• Options
    @queenbone- Oh, man, I just realized that my Google skills have failed me.  I read the story about a little girl named Rosie Palmer who had been brutally murdered, but left off the "5 sisters" part of the search, which obviously turned up a very different result.  Definitely wouldn't want that connotation either! 
    imageimageimage

• Options
    @chapstix7 - That's a good point about possible future last name.  I guess my definition of straight up boys name is different than others- i.e. I would never name my daughter Maxwell (a la Jessica Simpson).  Personally, I felt the ones on my list are on the uni-sex side.  It's good to know that there are others that feel differently.  Out of that list, I do like Darcy- definitely one to consider.

@queenbone - Obviously I like the names that are on my list.  I was giving my opinion on the names that truly need to be burned after being told that mine needed to be.  Those 3 things were not the qualifiers for names we liked.  Holy cow, what an awful story about that sweet little girl.  I had not heard of it prior to your post.  Palmer for us is derivative of DH's grandmother's maiden name "De Palma" as a nod to his Italian heritage.  He hates it too, so it's definitely getting removed from the list.  Thanks for your opinion on Zoe sounding like a good sib set aside from "winning" for being the only girl name.  I like it, too, for those exact reasons, and it's DH's favorite.  :)
    I don't know of any actual girl named Rosie Palmer. It is a euphemism for masturbating. 

I appreciate the sentiment you are going for, I think you could just use Palma in the MN spot for a daughter or son to honor g-ma.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Out of your boy names, I like Jack the best!

We, too, have a DD Quinn (mn Penelope). These are some of our top choices if this LO is a girl...and we think they all pair nicely with Quinn: Ivy, Willa, Teagan, Brooke, Paige, Sage and Piper.

I'll probably get side eyed for this, but I don't mind Sawyer for a boy or girl. Did you consider putting it on your boy list?

• Options
    I like Zoe & Jack! Other suggestions, Chloe, Ava, Logan(boy) & Sawyer(boy)
    Married My Love 8/09, Blessed with Captain Adorable 3/12
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

BFP#1 7/13/11 EDD 3/16/12 DS born 3/16/12

BFP#2 5/16/14 EDD 1/23/15 CP 5/21/14

BFP#3 6/25/14  EDD 3/2/15 

imageimageimage

• Options
    @AF9211 - thank you for sharing your list! :)  That is helpful and I like Brooke a lot.  I would definitely be open to Sawyer being on the boy list instead.  
    imageimageimage

• Options
    I like Zoe & Jack! Other suggestions, Chloe, Ava, Logan(boy) & Sawyer(boy)
    Thanks, @4RingCircus !  I love all of those suggestions.  Chloe is actually on our girl list, but I was second guessing it and left it off of this post, so I'm glad to hear that it would sound good with Quinn.  We had actually just been discussing Logan this other day!  I had avoided it b/c it's the son of a relative that I used to see pretty often, but now we see each other once a year at the most, so I'm definitely putting it back on the list. :)  
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Miles is my favourite from your boy list.

Your girl list is more difficult. I like Sawyer, but I'd put that on your boy list. Zoe is NMS, but my favourite from your list. Palmer should be eliminated, due to what @queenbone said (thanks for educating me in slang as well). I'd put Avery on the boy list. Harper is NMS and superduper popular. Last comment is on Peyton, it was 51 on the SSA girl list last year. Now it's NMS anyway, so I'd recommend to scratch it. Also with Quinn and Peyton I would be confused as to what name belongs to whom (I'd assume Quinn was your son and Peyton your daughter).

Suggestions girls: Sloane, Adair, Arden, Lucy, Juno.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I love Zoe, Miles and Cole.

Other ideas:

Girls: Lola, Sage, April
    Boys: August, Flynn, Leo

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Options
    @FakeFinn - thanks for the suggestions.  DH and I both love Sloane so we're adding it to the list.
    imageimageimage

• Options
    I have a Quinn and an Avery. Two "boy" names I guess. I also like Zoe and Miles from your list.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I like Zoe. Not a fan of any of the others.
    Maybe colt instead of cole?
  • Options
    Love Quinn for a girl :).  It was on my list, but my DH said no.
    From your list I like
    Girl- Sawyer,  Harper
    Boy- Miles, Parker, Jack, 
    Like Peyton for a girl.

Additional names:
    Girl: Sloane, Paige, Emerson (I know that you said you were adding Sloane to the list, but wanted to reiterate that I like it!)
    Boy: Griffin, Fraser, Logan
    BFP #1 - 03/13 Ectopic @ 5 weeks
    BFP#2 - 09/13 Natural m/c @ 6 weeks
    BFP #3 - 12/13 Natural m/c @ 6 weeks
    BFP #4 - 04/14   EDD - 9/12/14

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"