June 2014 Moms

WWJ14D - wedding dresses!

elsa1688elsa1688 member
edited August 2014 in June 2014 Moms
So I should probably get started planning my wedding. I feel like if I don't have a bigger production I will regret it later (although I'm not convinced the courthouse isn't the best option). ANYWAYS - wedding dresses. My mom passed away and my sisters are not reliable, so I was thinking of going shopping a solo. What would you recommend?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

WWJ14D - wedding dresses! 156 votes

Go shopping alone
6% 10 votes
Go shopping alone first and then bring a friend or sister later
32% 50 votes
Bring DF
4% 7 votes
Bring someone from the beginning
40% 63 votes
Eff the big wedding and go to a courthouse
13% 21 votes
SS
3% 5 votes

Re: WWJ14D - wedding dresses!

• I say go by yourself, see what you like, try them on and choose 3 or 4 favorites, then go back with a good friend or cousin and let them help you choose from those you liked the first time. I wouldn't bring more than two people with me though, it's hard enough to choose one you like and then have to listen to what everybody has to say.
    Married 05/15/13 FTM with EDD 06/24/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Go alone first then bring people. I was a bridal consultant and this made the brides' lives I worked with so much easier. Go and meet the consultants before making an appt to see if you click with someone then request them. Be open to their suggestions and tell them to be honest with you. A lot of the times my brides chose something they didn't think could work for them until I suggested it.

Or go alone, buy your dress then make a fake appointment where you bring in the entourage and let then think their opinions matter. We had people do that all the time.
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I brought a friend with me and then once i picked out two dresses, i brought my now H to get his comment. I am not into surprising my H on the wedding day if he turns out to hate my dress. I dont have a sister and my mom lives out of the country... It was easier to bring a friend.
  • I went with my SIL but she is more friend than in law. I am glad I had her with me because she made me try on more dresses than I would have and I ended up loving one of the last ones I tried on.
  • If you do bring someone make sure it's someone who will support you not try to take over the appointment or someone you feel obligated to bring so they wouldn't get butt hurt. So many times the friend tried to speak for the bride or the consultant because "they watch say yes to the dress all the time and know fashion" and it ends disastrously. I don't think you'd let that happen, but it does often.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • jennyd321 said:

If you do bring someone make sure it's someone who will support you not try to take over the appointment or someone you feel obligated to bring so they wouldn't get butt hurt. So many times the friend tried to speak for the bride or the consultant because "they watch say yes to the dress all the time and know fashion" and it ends disastrously. I don't think you'd let that happen, but it does often.

I worry my older sister would be weird. She's been so sketchy lately. And she has been really weird about me having a baby first. Gahhh. I wish my mom was still here. It's making me not as excited. I think I might make my first appointment alone and then decide who to bring to the next one :)
  • ElTrain5ElTrain5 member
    edited August 2014
    I would look online as much as possible, and call stores to set up fittings and make sure they have the styles you are interested in (and can pull other dressed based on those styles). Then you can set up a few fittings at differnt stores. Don't feel pressured to do it all in one day. My whole family is out of state and my mom was really sick when she came out to look with me, so I felt pressure to pick one we saw together...just do as much prep online beforehand and go for multiple visits with whomever you trust most. Even after you pick your dress, you'll still have alterations and fittings to do with a friend or bridesmaid. I did all mine alone and regretted it. They'll show you how to bustle the dress (if applicable) and someone else should be there with you for that.

• @elsa1688‌ if you have any questions on styles for your body type, what to bring, what to expect etc pm me. I'd be glad to help. I miss being a stylist.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would shop online first to get ideas and then bring someone you know will tell you that you are beautiful. Ultimately their opinion won't matter but you will need the support.
  • Go online to look at styles you like, print and take pictures with you to the bridal place. Go alone at first and if you don't find an "oh NY god this is THE dress" moment, take someone with you a second time to have them help you decide. I took pictures and mom and sister with me. The first dress I tired on, based on the picture, was it. I could have gone alone or with ten people and it's still the one I would have gone with. I did try in other dresses, but kept comparing them to the first one. It was an easy choice.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• I would suggest going by yourself, and bringing others if you can't decide. But it's entirely possible to find your favorite dress without any other opinion, so keep that in mind!  

You can also go to department stores and try on evening gowns to see what shapes you like. This way, when you get to the bridal salons, you know what you look best in.

Good luck! 

Being with my LO rocks! DD born 6/13/14.
  • MrsAy said:

I say go by yourself, see what you like, try them on and choose 3 or 4 favorites, then go back with a good friend or cousin and let them help you choose from those you liked the first time. I wouldn't bring more than two people with me though, it's hard enough to choose one you like and then have to listen to what everybody has to say.

This! I narrowed it down well first before bringing folks.

• I say bring someone from the beginning. I'm overly critical of myself and it was definitely nice to have people remind me that what I see and what they see are not the same thing.

This. I am not very good at being objective when it comes to clothes. And I like being told how great I look. Win-win.

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• satrimm said:
    I feel you!! I honestly can't stand my best friend 90% of the time these days, pregnancy threw that all off. Also, we have completely different tastes. I would look around at what I wanted myself then take someone I really felt would be fun to go look at my potential wedding dress with. The girl I would take right now isn't my best friend. She isn't even someone I see super often but she is my friend who I have the most fun with, I feel great around her and I know she would be honest. Whatever makes you happy at the end of the day is all that matters. This is YOUR day.

This. I was going to say, bring who ever you will have fun with, or who will make it the most meaningful experience for you. Even if that is DF or a random friend...

image        image

• I would have suggested going by yourself, but I find the wedding industry complex incredibly intimidating, so it was very important to me that I had someone there for support and to give me the guts to walk through the doors in the first place. However, if doing it alone doesn't stress you out, do that. Hearing other people's opinions can be stressful in its own way, and drown at your own opinion.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• CharSamm said:

Bring us!! I think we would love to see the dresses 

Wanna fly out to seattle? ;)

My friend just went with her mom and they have a pretty strict no picture policy unless you are purchasing that day. But I'll see what I can do :)
  • SS- I am on mobile and I totally thought this was going to be a skyanglebaby (is that her name? Eh whatever) post. LoL.

Anyyywaaayyysssss...

You can always look around online by yourself and then bring a friend when you do try ons? That way you have what you want in mind, but then company and a second opinion when you try on =]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"