May 2014 Moms
Options

How outspoken are you? WWYD/vent

Yesterday I was downtown walking to my office next to a mom and her maybe 5-year old daughter. As I started to pass them I noticed the mom was pregnant and as I continued I noticed mom was smoking. I'm a pretty laid back person as far as letting people do their own thing but this has been bugging me. I'm sure this woman has heard it a million times how terrible smoking is period. But while pregnant AND around a young child? Oh my goodness it lights my fire. I just want to shake her and he like STOP IT. So this is like a vent and WWYD post. Would you have said something or just continued to stew like me? And go...

Re: How outspoken are you? WWYD/vent

• Options
    bazingaabazingaa member
    edited August 2014
    No, you shouldn't have said anything. Right or wrong it's none of our business.

Edit for typo
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
      BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would not have said anything either.
  • Options
    In the Walmart parking lot the other day I saw a very pregnant woman smoking in the car with two little ones in the back seat. It really, really grinds my gears seeing shit like that but it certainly isn't mine or anyone's place to say anything.
  • Options
    She obviously doesn't care what people think or what she's doing to herself, her kid, or her unborn baby so don't waste your breath. You're not going to be the one person who convinces her to change her ways.
  • Options
    I don't say anything. But I do cough and gasp and grab my inhaler. Practically pass out. And then complain really loudly how ugly it is and how much it smells. A whole big drama.

On a whole other note: I don't know one person who doesn't know that smoking is unhealthy. I doubt you (or I in my overly dramatic way) are going to be able to change her opinion. Just like how almost every pregnant woman hates the words, "You'll see..." or whatnot.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• Options
    kat8805 said:
    I've come to the realization that it's wasted breath on people like this. No amount of fact, or logic could convince this woman she shouldn't be smoking. Because smoking is not logical. And you can't fight an emotional, gone habitual, thing with information and intelligence. Sadly, these people know the damage they are doing to their children's bodies, and it goes beyond a lack of their own self preservation. Maybe it's stubbornness, or laziness, or procrastination. But I refuse to believe, in the year 2014, that the reason you would predispose your kids to a slew of medical issues, a lifetime of dental issues, and an increased rate of following in your own sad footsteps is simply ignorance.
    All of this
  • Options
    My LOs' daycare is right next door to a women's hospital and I can't tell you how many women are standing out front with their big prego bellies in hospital gowns smoking away. It literally infuriates me every time I drive by. Come on the baby is almost here just wait a little bit longer for that cigarette, even though I know they smoked the whole pregnancy. Ughhh!!!
  • Options
    I wouldn't say anything, it's not my business. I also wouldn't stew, this literally has zero impact on my life, so I'm not going to waste time being unhappy about it. It sucks, yes, but there are also far worse things people do to their children.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say anything. 99.9% of the time you wouldn't be telling something they don't already know. They know what they are doing. Plus, it might have upset the little girl with her
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I've never felt such strong feelings about kiddos/babies until May 11. I was never a kid person and still am not but man I feel like I've turned into a momma bear trying protecting all babies from bad like smoking moms.
  • Options
    Yes, in pretty outspoken.

But for many reasons posted above, this is unfortunately a myob situation.

imageimage image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Unfortunately, she probably knows the harm it has on her unborn child and not even the facts can make her quit. So I wouldn't say anything.

It's a BOY

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"