Pregnant after 35

Allergy/Cold ...recommendations

gremaud07gremaud07 member
edited August 2014 in Pregnant after 35
I have come down with allergies: runny nose, sneezing, sore throat, drainage. My throat is scratchy and dry that I am coughing bad. What can I take? I was ok from obgyn to take Flonase which has helped alittle. But I am feeling quite shitty. Can I take over the counter? My primary doctor won't be filling my singular since I haven't gone for my yearly appt ment. Ugh
Baby #1 MC November 2007
Baby #2 MC June 2008
Baby #3 Born April 2009
Baby #4 due date February 2015

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Allergy/Cold ...recommendations

• My Dr told me I could take Tylenol products like the cold and sinus ones.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • Thanks!
    Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009

• Loading the player...
  • I take zyrtec. Claritin is also ok according to my OB.
  • My Dr told my Zyrtec, Claritin or Allegra but no D.  The only bummer is it takes a while to build up in your system and kick in.  Have you thought about acupuncture?  That really helpped me with allergies through my last PG.  GL and feel better soon.

JM

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

IF History in my Bio!

• I took claritin and singulair through my previous pregnancy.  I'm sure I'll do it again, but the fall allergies haven't hit me quite yet this time.

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• I went to the doctor since he wanted to make sure is nothing ore than allergies. Took me off Flonase since it's category C and put me on ocean spray and kept me on singular.
    Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009

• I'd call and ask your provider- most have a list and depending on how far along your are, they might suggest or not suggest certain things.

Some homeopathic things to try that might also help are a netti pot, tea with lemon and honey (or even just hot water with lemon and honey), cough drops, emergenc, rest, lots of water.  My MW encouraged using blackelderberry.  The research on blackelderberry during pregnancy is mixed so that one would be your choice (I've taken it a few times during this pregnancy and it has been helpful and didn't create new symptoms or problems- it is unlikely that it is affecting the baby b/c it is a fruit!). 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My OB approved Benadryl (the regular kind) and Tylenol Cold. I got an awful, awful cold in August (up all night with sore throat and cough, it was just miserable) and Tylenol Cold did make a difference for me.  It was like the Heavens opened when my OB said it was OK to take it!

I honestly didn't even realize (and this is my 2nd) that some cough drops are not ok! So I was glad I asked about it.

I'm 18w now so I was about 15w at the time I got the OK to use those products. 

I hope you feel better!
    DS #1  2/2010
  • Banana2020 thanks for the heads up on that. Msmacual I do use essential oils with doTerra and yes it helps but this wasn't getting better.
    Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"