2nd Trimester
Options

Dentist

Does anyone know if you can have dental work done while pregnant? I have a tooth that is KILLING me…. not sure if I can put it off
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Dentist

• Options
    Yes you should definitely be seen by a dentist. Pregnant women are more susceptible to dental problems and your dentist will know what procedures/medications can be done while pregnant.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, they just told me I had to wait until second tri to use the freezing (I have a pocket in my gum they have to fix) I went for a cleaning that usually only ever take 45 min and its taken over 2 hours...pregnancy is not kind to our teeth!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a cavity filled right after I found out at 5 weeks - no problems, I just couldn't use laughing gas
  • Options
    I had a root canal last week. My OB gave me a list of approved medications to take with me. My dentist was amazing and explained how every single thing affected the babies. The biggest thing he said is the the epinephrine your body makes from having pain is not good for the babies, so keeping me comfortable was his first goal.
    We tried without epi, but I couldn't take the pain. He added a small amount (approved by my doctor) and all was fine. He prescribed Tylenol with Codeine for home but I didn't need it.
    Good luck!!!!
    MMC October 2010
    BFP #2 June 3, 2014
    Twins?  You mean two babies?  WOW!
    Team PURPLE!!
    We are excited to meet William Alexander and Harper Abigail in 2015!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Yep, you can definitely see a dentist. I had a lot of work done while I was pregnant, cleanings, cavity fillings, and even got tooth pulled.
  • Options
    Go to the dentist! If they cant fix it (do surgery or something) they can probably keep it from getting worse....
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I will defiantly give my OB a call and then my Dentist!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes you should definitely be seen by a dentist. Pregnant women are more susceptible to dental problems and your dentist will know what procedures/medications can be done while pregnant.

This.

I take meticulous care of my teeth but I still got gingivitis when I was pregnant with DD.  The dentist needs to know you're pregnant so he/she can choose the proper course of treatment but a painful tooth shouldn't be ignored.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    As others have said, dental check-ups while pregnant are very important.  If you need work done, just make sure the dentist knows your pregnant so s/he can prescribe the appropriate course of treatment.
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• Options
    Yeah you need to see a dentist pronto. If it is aching that badly you could have an infection, which can affect the baby. Dental health is even more important during pregnancy. I would go to the dentist for a consult and make sure they know you are pregnant. Then call your OB/midwife before scheduling any surgery to get the a-okay about medications used. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    tooth problems can quickly escalate into more serious health issues so you need to be seen. The dentist will know how to take care of someone who is pregnant or can refer you to someone who they feel more comfortable with doing your work. Before going for the procedure call your OB and just double check the do's and don'ts.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"