New Jersey Babies

Intro. and question about Family Leave Insurance in NJ

Hi everyone!  I'm Jenn, 29 years old, and 25 weeks pregnant.  I feel like all I do is call my employer and ask about what to do about my maternity leave, and now a third-party has told me I am eligible for claiming monetary benefits from the state while I am out of work.  I don't understand why my employer does not explain anything and why I have just heard of this now.  I knew that my benefits coverage would continue under FMLA but I did not know I could claim $$.  The insurance benefits is what I thought FMLA covered.  Am I crazy or is this true?  I just printed out something from the state dept. of NJ and am going over it now, but once again can't believe I have not been informed about this if it is true!  Does anyone have insight into this?
Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

Re: Intro. and question about Family Leave Insurance in NJ

• I am no expert...but here's how my leave worked...short term disability covered 2 weeks before baby, and then 6 weeks after. Then, after those 6 weeks were up, I applied for family leave insurance which gave me another 6 weeks paid leave. FMLA just secures your job, I think. If your STD comes from the state, they will automatically send you the papers to apply for the family leave insurance, but if not, you will have to print it and apply after your disability ends. That paperwork confused me, so I had my jobs HR help me. Good luck! Honestly, figuring out my leave made me more nervous than giving birth lol! But it all gets figured out, so you'll be ok!
  • Agree, FMLA does not pay you anything, it just provides that you can take 12 weeks of unpaid leave without losing your job.

The paid part comes from NJ's Family Leave Insurance, which you pay into with your paycheck.
    TTC #1 since 2007. Dx: Unexplained infertility. 4 IUIs in 2008 = BFN. IVF #1 07/09. DD #1 born April 2010 (40w5d).
    TTC #2 since 2011. Dx: Endometriosis and hypothyroidism. 2 FETs in 2012, BFP 6/12 but m/c @ 7 weeks. IVF #2 06/13. DD #2  born March 2014 (40w1d).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats @Jenn! I'm curious about this as well, because I haven't yet told my office I am pregnant. I was looking through our HR site for info, and if there isn't a specific maternity policy listed, would you just assume that FMLA is the only time off (12 weeks)? So from what I've read above, I'd get paid through short term disability + NJ Family Leave insurance? 

Finally, it is open enrollment right now for my company benefits. I don't see an option to sign up for short-term disability or NJ Family Leave insurance. Are these just things you receive without having to sign up for?

Thanks! I'm confused, as you can tell :) 

• Short term disability is something you have to sign up for through work. For me I took 80% pay option. I have to look into all of this as well soon!
  • Rosie112799Rosie112799 member
    edited October 2014
    Hello All, I am 10 weeks pregnant today. My Bosses do know i am expecting and my EDD is May 25. They have no clue on what to expect or do when its time that i am unable to work. I was trying to look up information on Short Term Disability and the FMLA as well. And it confuses the crap out of me. I work for a very small family business. So there is no HR and no one else there who knows what actually is suppose to happen. Do i take my vaca and sick time first and then apply for short term disb? Or do i apply for disability first and then extend my time off at the end? All i know is that i think i get 6 weeks after my baby is born or 8 weeks if its c-section. Can anyone enlighten me how this would work in a small business less than 15 employee situation. Greatly appreciate it! ☺
  • You can also sign up for short term DI through the state directly
  • My employer's disabilty plan is offset by the NJ State disability payout.  So while my employer seems somewhat generous paying me 100% of my salary for 6 weeks, in reality they are only footing about $363/week of that bill (state max is $595/week).  In addition, they are taking 5 days of my PTO and part of my yearly bonus.

In total, they'll likely pay about $2,908.  5 days of my PTO is equal to $958, plus whatever portion of my bonus they take.  I figure they'll be making money off of the birth of my child.

I'm not happy.

BabyFruit Ticker TTC since 11/2011 Me: Hypothyroid & PCOS DH: 0% morphology IVF #1 - transfer on 4/2/14 BFP 4/11/14 beta 161 EDD: 12/19/14 It's a GIRL! AnaSophia (Sophie; Soph the Loaf) Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"