March 2014 Moms
Options

Bad sleep habits

Now I cant complain too much about how my LO sleeps.  since 12 weeks she ahs been sleeping all night (9pom - 6or7am) in her crib in her room.  She then got sick with both a sinus infection and an ear infection.  needless to say she was having trouble breathing and did not sleep well for a week.  Now she is over the illness (about 2 weeks now) but she is still waking in the MOTN.  sometimes its once, sometimes never, sometimes 3 times.  All it takes is usually giving her paci back and she falls right to sleep, she never has to be fed or rocked.  Most nights she could care less that her paci fell out.

My question is,  should I be giving her paci back or should I see if she will self comfort back to sleep?  I tried once right after she got better to see if she will self comfort but she just kept getting more upset and eventually woke herself up.  it took me 2 hours to get her back to sleep. 

What do you think I should do? just go with the flow?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Bad sleep habits

• Options
    There is a variety of opinions on this.

personally, I give an oz or two of milk and then rock her til she does the slow blinks.

last night however - she decided she wanted to talk and play. I was like awehelllllllnno. so after fresh diaper + milk + cuddles (drifting) and back down... she'd talk and I just went back to bed. when the talking started to dwindle i put the paci in to shut her up and she was out.

:)
    If the talking escalates to crying we give it a few minutes and then go in to help her wind back down.
  • Options
    I usually wait just a couple minutes before going in to see what she'll do. Sometimes she'll fall back to sleep and other times she needs the paci. I never let it escalate or else she'd be a nightmare to get back to sleep.
    Kinley Diane
    Born 2/4/14
    Weighing 6 lbs 10 oz and 20 inches long

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We go with the flow. My LO still wakes up at least 3 times a night, often more. We do whatever we can to quickly relax her and get her back to sleep saves all of our sanity.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    textimage

• Options
    DS1 would take a few weeks to get back to his norm every time he got sick. Then teething would kick in and screw it all up again. I lean towards the the 1st year or 2 of life for these guys is full of inconsistent sleep patterns. If it's not illness, it's teething, if it's not teething, it's vacation, etc. It's just easier and less stressful to go with the flow instead of having the mindset that they always need to be fixed.
    Perfectly said!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Like others have said, go with the flow.  I don't expect babies this young to be able to self soothe.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"