September 2012 Moms

Sleep help!

edited August 2014 in September 2012 Moms
I'm hoping some of you with 2+ kids can help me out. Ever since we brought Bennett home Audrey's sleep has gotten worse and worse. She used to be an amazing sleeper and now she has been getting up an hour and a half early and only napping for an hour all day instead of two. She's tired and cranky because of this and with a newborn I could really use that extra sleep. She also wakes up crying instead of happy like she used to.

There have been a lot of changes for her...a new brother and lots of family coming into town for a week, leaving and then new people coming. So I'm hoping this is just her adjusting. After Saturday we won't have anymore family for a while, so things should settle down. But is there anything I can do or should be doing to get her sleep back to normal? Should I let her cry it out when she wakes up early? Help!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sleep help!

• harti09 said:

Is she full blown, meltdown crying? If she's just whining and complaining about it, I'd leave her for a bit. DS wakes up early a time or two a week. I let him work it out. More often than not, he settles and falls back asleep for another 30 minutes or so.

We're battling nap issues with DD too. She hangs out for well over an hour sometimes before going down. It drives me batty. She's been averaging 45 minute naps for a week or so now. I have better luck if we've been super active during the morning, but even that is hit or miss. For us, I think the heat is playing into it some.

Is it possible she needs her schedule tweaked some?
    Yes, full blown melt down crying, which is very unlike her. I left her for a bit today and she was screaming and red by the time I went in there.

As for naps, she goes down fine but wakes up much earlier and wakes up in the same crying manor.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hope that's all it is. I feel so bad for her, and I feel bad for me, haha. I'll see how things go next week when guests are gone and if things don't get better maybe I will tweak her schedule.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was going to say that I also think it's probably just everything that's going on with the changes lately. Ride it out and cross your fingers. Mason has never been a good napper so I've never had any expectations of him getting better, but if Audrey napped well before all the changes I bet she'll get back to normal.

Keep us posted!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• That sounds so rough. Does Dd sleep with a sound machine? Maybe all the extra noise and people in the house is waking her up? I would also try putting her down for her nap an hour later and seeing if she will sleep longer.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That sounds so rough. Does Dd sleep with a sound machine? Maybe all the extra noise and people in the house is waking her up? I would also try putting her down for her nap an hour later and seeing if she will sleep longer.

She does sleep with a sound machine. I don't think it's noise but it may be that she knows people are out there and just doesn't want to miss out.
  • We went through the same exact thing. Once Binn got on a good schedule and we were able to go out, do things and get back to "normal" it just kinda resolved itself.
    I also put her in a tiny tots program 3 days a week for 3 hours. They do crafts, play outside and have lunch. I think that was good for both of us.  Her to have something that's just her and me to have "alone time" with the baby. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"