November 2013 Moms

Does anyone NOT drink the alcohol?

We obviously have a lot of drinkers on this board, which, yay for them. I love watching your antics, ladies. However, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't drink. Anyone else out there? 

Now it's a different story when it comes to coffee. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Does anyone NOT drink the alcohol?

• @barista411‌ I'm not BF but I can't get slammed even if DH is home because I worry about something happening and not being able to react. Last weekend I did get drunk but it snuck up on me; my tolerance is way lower than it used to be.
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't had a drink since January 2013. I don't drink often. I'm not anti-alcohol, I just don't feel the need. And I still have plenty of fun!
    Can't figure out the signature thing, so here's the short, short version.....first daughter born on November 10, 2013. She was conceived through the magic of IVF after 2+ years of TTC.
  • I'll probably get flamed for this but I won't drink as long as I am breastfeeding. I don't judge anyone else that does and I have read all the studies. It is just my personal choice.

The way I see it is I wouldn't hand my three year old a drink that I know has a trace of alcohol in it so why would I BF DS while drinking knowing that he is receiving a trace of alcohol.

I honestly have had a hard time drinking at all since having kids. I am terrified that something could happen to the kids and I would be too inebriated to handled it properly or fully be there for them. Not to mention having a hangover is just not worth it to me when I have take care of the kids the next day.

This is why I make SO stay sober. ;-)
    I don't like drinking alone and I don't have friends to go out with so if I am going to drink it would be with DH.
  • I'll probably get flamed for this but I won't drink as long as I am breastfeeding. I don't judge anyone else that does and I have read all the studies. It is just my personal choice.

The way I see it is I wouldn't hand my three year old a drink that I know has a trace of alcohol in it so why would I BF DS while drinking knowing that he is receiving a trace of alcohol.

I honestly have had a hard time drinking at all since having kids. I am terrified that something could happen to the kids and I would be too inebriated to handled it properly or fully be there for them. Not to mention having a hangover is just not worth it to me when I have take care of the kids the next day.

@barista411‌ I have only had one drink since June of 2010 and it was at a wedding when dd was about 8 mos old. I am terrified as well of what could happen. I need to be able to be in control if something were to happen.
  • Smilz4782 said:

Fruit juices contain about the same trace amounts of alcohol you would find in breast milk after a few glasses of wine.
    Hopefully you're not letting your kid drink OJ @barista411‌
    ;)

No juice here. I hate the unnecessary sugar.

I know. I'm buzz kill.
  • Finnaroo said:

The way I see it is I wouldn't hand my three year old a drink that I know has a trace of alcohol in it so why would I BF DS while drinking knowing that he is receiving a trace of alcohol

Do you eat food cooked with alcohol? It doesn't completely burn off in most cases, so you'd still be passing trace amounts.
    Nope, I don't. Never really have cooked with alcohol.
  • @barista411 If I was a runner I think we would seriously be the same person.
  • CFox815 said:

:::::: sitting on hands ::::::::

• PeachsMamaPeachsMama member
    edited August 2014
    I haven't had a drink since January 2013. I don't drink often. I'm not anti-alcohol, I just don't feel the need. And I still have plenty of fun!

Same, except at all. and I refuse to drink while breastfeeding. I don't know since when though.. Probably more like the toast at my wedding? So June 2011? I just hate the taste of alcohol.
  • *raises hand*

I don't drink. Never have, never will. I don't judge you if you do, though, as long as you're responsible about it.

I don't drink coffee either (I know). I occasionally drink crio bru, which is made just like coffee, but it's cocoa beans, not coffee beans.

I always feel weird about posting on the drinking threads, since I have no idea what it's like to be drunk.
  • JoeLies said:

I've only been so much as tipsy once since January 2013 (and who knows when before then).  It made me pretty uncomfortable, to be honest, I was so paranoid.  Usually I have A drink - 2 if I'm feeling crazy - but I usually only drink half of it before C goes to bed.  Then I finish it afterwards, and he doesn't nurse again for 10-11 hours.

That is also part of the problem DS still eats every 3 hours. I maybe have an hour between the time DD goes to bed and DS's first wake up.
  • megswen said:

*raises hand*

I don't drink. Never have, never will. I don't judge you if you do, though, as long as you're responsible about it.

I don't drink coffee either (I know). I occasionally drink crio bru, which is made just like coffee, but it's cocoa beans, not coffee beans.

I always feel weird about posting on the drinking threads, since I have no idea what it's like to be drunk.

You SHOULD play in the drinking threads. It's always fun to be the sober one watching all the drunk fools. :P
    I never said I don't read the drinking threads. ;) They're my favorite ones!
  • barista411barista411 member
    edited August 2014

CFox815 said:

:::::: sitting on hands ::::::::

This is very "come at me bro"-ish. I'm intrigued to see where this goes.

*popcorn*

-----------------
    "Not come at me" attitude. I just know my choice is not popular and don't need people to pussy foot around me. I don't mind answering question about my decision. I don't judge anyone else for drinking. I just hope that I and the other people in this thread are receiving the same courtesy.
  • megswen said:
    *raises hand* I don't drink. Never have, never will. I don't judge you if you do, though, as long as you're responsible about it. I don't drink coffee either (I know). I occasionally drink crio bru, which is made just like coffee, but it's cocoa beans, not coffee beans. I always feel weird about posting on the drinking threads, since I have no idea what it's like to be drunk.
    Hmmm. I may have to try this crio bru you speak of. 

• Also, is it just me or is this thread toeing a very fine line between judgement free and sanctimommy?

Are you referring to me?
  • fitmama418fitmama418 member
    edited August 2014
    Also, is it just me or is this thread toeing a very fine line between judgement free and sanctimommy?
    Are you referring to me?
    I'm not referring to any ONE person, but I will say you're being a bit unnecessarily combative regarding @CFox815's hand sitting. Her comment wasn't discourteous. Crap, we don't even know what she has to say on the subject. I'm sure she'll be back to explain herself.

#LOLFITMAMA
  • CGMB said:
    Barista your posts are coming off pretty judgey here. You say you're not but there are definetly "sanctimommy undertones" there. I see no respect from you to the moms that choose to drink. And I see no disrespect to you or the others who don't choose to drink.
    +1

#LOLFITMAMA
  • kimmycup said:
    megswen said:
    *raises hand* I don't drink. Never have, never will. I don't judge you if you do, though, as long as you're responsible about it. I don't drink coffee either (I know). I occasionally drink crio bru, which is made just like coffee, but it's cocoa beans, not coffee beans. I always feel weird about posting on the drinking threads, since I have no idea what it's like to be drunk.

Me too! does it taste like hot chcocolate?
    edited August 2014
    Finnaroo said:

@barista411‌ it was your middle paragraph that seemed judgy. Like drinkers are mixing up a round of gin and tonics for their LOs.

I drink. I don't feel the need to defend or minimize it. I do so at a level that I'm comfortable with.

It's a-ok with me if you choose not to. My hometown is the seat of Bob Jones. Really, there have been plenty of people in my life who have opted not to, although the ones I've encountered have chosen religious reasons.

Again I apologize.

*** Poof ***

Sorry I let my crazy show guys. :(
  • @fitmama418 I'm sorry you felt judged. That wasn't my intention at all, and I see now how I worded it, it could come off that way. I apologize. 

• @barista411‌ so my sister has issues with alcohol/suicide, too. I've seen her do things I wish I hadn't. I can now completely and totally understand why you don't drink/what you associate with drinking. I'm really sorry you went through that. Is your brother still in your life? If you ever wanna talk, I'm open to it. Hugs.

Yes he is. We are very close now. He has since joined the army and straightened his life out but continues to struggle with alcohol.

That was actually what I was alluding to in katiep's question in the randoms thread.
  • @barista411 I'm so sorry. I can relate, but don't want to go into the details on here. PM me if you want to talk. *hugs* 

• edited August 2014
    @barista411‌ all the hugs. I also have major anxiety about drinking.

Speaking for only myself here. I know that my fear is irrational most of the time but I cannot help the fear and anxiety I have about drinking now that I have kids.

I had some pretty crappy childhood experiences and the only way to curb my anxiety about it happening to my kids is to not drink. I know its extreme but it works for me.
    edited August 2014
    CFox815 said:

Sorry. I was feeding my kid. Hopefully he didn't get any trace amounts of the bottle of rose I drank last night.

You
    know, I wrote out this whole thing .. and deleted it. I don't feel the
    need to justify my actions to anyone. I have a healthy, happy, little
    boy, sorry I taint him with a trace amount of alcohol. Just so we're
    clear, you know what else contains trace amounts of alcohol? Mouthwash,
    soda, sauces, hand sanitizers, inhalers, vitamins, toiletries, medicine,
    fruit, sugarless candy, laundry detergent, bleach, etc. So good luck
    making sure your children never come in contact with any of those
    things.

I'm really sorry some of you had shitty things relating
    to alcohol in your life. I would wager that the majority of people on this board have been impacted by alcoholism. I don't care if you drink or not. The drinking thread is not limited to those that drink, all are welcome.

And, as for you, Tony
    Soprano, my comment wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the fact
    that I am very open about the fact that I love a drink. But, if we're on the topic, you can say you don't judge those of us who drink all you want but this:

....is judging.

-----
    You're right. I'm sorry.
  • Yez9 said:

@Finnaroo said:

@barista411‌ it was your middle paragraph that seemed judgy. Like drinkers are mixing up a round of gin and tonics for their LOs.

I drink. I don't feel the need to defend or minimize it. I do so at a level that I'm comfortable with.

It's a-ok with me if you choose not to. My hometown is the seat of Bob Jones. Really, there have been plenty of people in my life who have opted not to, although the ones I've encountered have chosen religious reasons.

I spent 4 1/2 years in your hometown. Nice spot. My friends and I enjoyed downtown before the renaissance down there, and I've heard it's even better now. Also, I may or may not have attended the institution you speak of. ;)
    What year were you there?

• kimmycup said:

megswen said:

*raises hand*

Me too! does it taste like hot chcocolate?

Not entirely, but kind of! You do need to put sweetener in it, because it is bitter like coffee, but after that, it's pretty comparable to hot chocolate. :)

I get mine from Amazon. I get the Ivory Coast blend and it's delicious. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"