2nd Trimester

Failed Glucose Test

Will now how to sit for the 3 hour glucose test. Any way to prepare diet wise for the next week?

Re: Failed Glucose Test

• I wouldn't do anything outside of your norm beforehand. If you follow a GD diet this week and pass, but then go back to your normal diet after, it would be like cheating in an exam. All it would do is possible give you a false pass and that would only hurt you and the baby. I had GD my first pregnancy, it really isn't that bad. Good luck!
    F15 December Siggy Challenge: Holiday Decoration Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Natalie Ann is on her way!
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lurker from F15 here...

I'm not really sure there's any particular way to "prepare" for the test. I think if you're going to pass or fail, you're going to pass or fail regardless. I bombed my 1 hour GTT but passed the 3 hour just fine. I had to do both twice during my pregnancy with DD and both had the same outcome no matter what I ate in the days leading up to the test.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • My good friend ate very healthy throughout pregnancy and failed her first test. She passed the 3 hour with flying colors. She thinks it might be because she had to drink that big sugar water jug and she never eats sugar so maybe her body wasn't used to it. 

Do not change your diet unless you plan to keep up the change for the rest of your pregnancy. You want to figure out the true results because if you have GD you need to have care to help your baby be healthy. Just try not to worry too much, it is very common to pass the 3 hour test after a failed initial test.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • CandaceC1020CandaceC1020 member
    edited August 2014
    I failed my one hour test and was given instructions to carb load for three days prior to my 3 hour test.  I'm supposed to eat 300 carbs a day which is crazy considering I only eat about 100-150 carbs a day.

Edited - I only failed by three points ... and they won't let me retake the 1 hour test.  :(
    Married on October 20, 2012.  Began trying in January 2013.
    RE appointment & testing December 2013 - February 2014= Unexplained IF, possible endometriosis
    IUI#1- March 22 (100mg clomid, 75 mg of Bravelle, Ovidrel trigger) = BFP!!!

• You want accurate results. If you fail and have GD, it isn't the end of the world. Your diet will be restricted, but you don't want to end up with a huge baby either. My gf had GD with her second and she said the two weeks after birth were amazing because she got to eat all the things she couldn't the last 4.5 months. 

Good Luck!!
    Baby #2 - BFP 6/13/2014 - EDD 2/17/2015 BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My doctor doesn't even do the 1 hour test anymore, just the 3 hours. So many people fail the one hour that he said it isn't worth it to do it.
  • My doctor doesn't even do the 1 hour test anymore, just the 3 hours. So many people fail the one hour that he said it isn't worth it to do it.
    I actually WISH my OB's office did this. I specifically asked if I could skip the one hour and go right to the 3 hour to spare myself failing the one hour and having to go through it all over again, and my OB advised against it. I'm sure they just want the money for the extra tests.   :-w 

• Sorry you failed. I echo not trying to prepare for the test... just get real results :-) GL
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree with everyone saying not to change your diet but don't eat a big piece of cake for breakfast or bedtime snack the night before. When I did the three hour I think I had to fast a few hours before.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"