August 2014 Moms

Cervical Scar Tissue and Problems Dilating

I had my 40 week appointment this morning. After days of off and on contractions, some pretty painful, I am 50% effaced but only 1 cm (and she said she was being generous) dilated. During the exam, she felt a thick band of scar tissue around my cervix (from past surgeries - I've had several for endometriosis, cysts, and abnormal pap) and said that it was going to be really hard for my contractions to get strong enough to break through the band for me to dilate normally. She said it's likely the contractions I've had so far would have gotten me much further if it wasn't for this scar tissue. She did a membrane sweep and said hopefully that would give me stronger contractions, but if it doesn't, induction, or worst case, a c-section would be my other options, but both not until at least another week, which means more contractions between now and then that may or may not do anything to progress me.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or know of someone who has? What was the outcome? I'm frustrated, and I guess just looking for encouragement that things could progress without intervention.
BabyFruit Ticker

BabyName Ticker

Re: Cervical Scar Tissue and Problems Dilating

• Thank you!
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyName Ticker
  • Lol! This isn't funny, but I literally asked the same question on the fb group on Tues after my appt. I also have scar tissue on my cervix, and haven't dilated at all. My MW told me there was a possibility I wouldn't progress on my own, and may have to be induced and the tissue broken. Several ladies commented that they had scar tissue as well and didn't have an issue when the time actually came.
  • Loading the player...
  • chase16 said:
    Lol! This isn't funny, but I literally asked the same question on the fb group on Tues after my appt. I also have scar tissue on my cervix, and haven't dilated at all. My MW told me there was a possibility I wouldn't progress on my own, and may have to be induced and the tissue broken. Several ladies commented that they had scar tissue as well and didn't have an issue when the time actually came.
    Oops! Sorry everyone! @Chase16, thanks for letting me know. And good luck.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"