Dads & Dads-to-be
Options

Three Things Thursday

Drumming up some Thursday business....what do you gentlemen think?

1. How will (or do) you handle introducing new foods to your child?

2. What's your biggest fear surrounding your pending (or just born) new baby?

3. OPEN

Re: Three Things Thursday

• Options

1. I was extremely lucky as my bio-daughter loved all foods.  When we came across something that she didn't like (or hadn't tried) and said she wasn't going to eat it, I told her the last time she had it, she LOVED it!!  It was her favorite.  She would reply with "really?!?" and I'd say "yes!"  She'd then try it and you know what, she loved it, every time.  My 10 year old eats olives, sauerkraut, avocado, hot sauce and all manners of good stuff!

2. I am worried that my three girls are going to feel like our new baby takes focus and attention from them.  Of course he/she will, but I want to try our best to make sure the girls don't feel neglected in any way.

3. I Love Lamp - great movie!!

• Options

1. We try all sorts of things and they've all been failures. We finally got him to eat some chicken the other day by letting him dip it in ketchup. He ate chicken when he was one and loved it, but will refuse to eat all meat now. He says he only wants to eat his kind of food and says the stuff we eat is yucky. We try not to make a big deal out of it and just try to get something decent in him everyday. One day he'll turn it around and realize what he's been missing out on.

2. Attention going away from my son was my fear too. And lack of sleep. The sleep thing hasn't been an issue and we've still managed to give our son enough attention. They do sleep a lot and I can hold a baby and do some things with him. He's also started playing more in his room and not requiring as much attention. I think he still craves it, but he hasn't acted out in a terrible way over yet. Overall, everything is going well so far. Twins are 2 months now.

3. Last two nights our son has started out sleeping with us. He's always slept with us a lot, but had been sleeping in his own bed a lot lately. He told me he didn't want to sleep alone, was tired, and wanted to sleep in the better bed. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

1. How will (or do) you handle introducing new foods to your child?

It depends on age... when my oldest was younger, he'd eat from a much larger range of things.  Now, at 3 1/2, he's much pickier.  My youngest (now 1 1/2) will eat nearly anything put in front of him without much coaxing.  His main roadblocks are cantaloupe and some veggies.  What I've found it, keep offering it to them, it can take 10 exposures to a particular food item for them to accept.

2. What's your biggest fear surrounding your pending (or just born) new baby?

Well, I'm not waiting on another one... the main one we had when we were expecting baby #2 was how our oldest would accept having to share the spotlight.  He was the only grandchild on both sides and an only child (obviously), so all of the sudden having to deal with a new baby was a concern.  The jealousy didn't really come up until our youngest became mobile and was able to get to his toys.

3. Counting down to the Disney World trip... can't get here soon enough.  Late January should be a blast.

• Options

1. How will (or do) you handle introducing new foods to your child?  We try to get him to try new things but at times he doesn't want to try new things.  A lot of times if we know he likes something but doesn't want to eat it, we will make him take a few bites of what he doesn't want to eat then give him what he wants.  It doesn't help that MIL who watches our son during the day can't tell him no.

2. What's your biggest fear surrounding your pending (or just born) new baby?  That we have issues with our son adjusting to the new LO.

3. Just got a promotion at work and a nice pay raise.  That takes me out of running for a new position in our group.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    1. Never thought about it. Just introduced a bottle the other day rather than breast feeding and it went well.
    2. That her mom will eventually get tired of me and leave and I won't get away with the murder.
    3. It really pissed me off when my wife said that she does 90% of the work of taking care of our newborn. I'm not always home but when I am she never changes a daiper. I didn't say anything about it and buried it.
  • Options
    Tobedad said:
    1. Never thought about it. Just introduced a bottle the other day rather than breast feeding and it went well. 2. That her mom will eventually get tired of me and leave and I won't get away with the murder. 3. It really pissed me off when my wife said that she does 90% of the work of taking care of our newborn. I'm not always home but when I am she never changes a daiper. I didn't say anything about it and buried it.

Hmmm...what would make your wife want to say that? Was she trying to say that she does a lot or that you don't do enough? Diapers aren't really that big of a deal. It only takes about a minute to change one so your wife probably doesn't see it as a huge help like you might see it. Now, who gets up in the middle of the night? That's the true question. When the baby is crying who is holding it? If she is doing those things along with doing all the work while you're gone than 90% is probably a fair statement. Doing all diaper changes while you're at home is probably only worth about 5% at best in my opinion.
  • Options
    We rotate who gets up and for awhile it was just her becuase she wasn't pumping yet. Now i get up at least once in the night ( baby normally only gets up twice) depending on what I have going on the next day. On nights that I don't have work or school the next day I let her sleep through the night. She's not working and probably won't for awhile.
  • Options

1.     1. At only 12 weeks pregnant, this is not something I have actually thought about yet. Both my wife and I eat a wide variety of food and I had just assumed that by being open and giving our child plenty of new foods to try, they will naturally be ok… I am guessing though that no parents choose to have a child that becomes a fussy eater, so probably need to look into this!

2.     2.  Losing our baby. We have already had 1 miscarriage and had to abort our last pregnancy at 4.5 months. The sheer pain of watching my wife go through this again scares the S**t out of me.

3.      3. My blog is now live and looking for dads-to-be to help my community grow – https://daducation.com is my own personal journey into fatherhood a place for men to learn and share experiences of becoming a daddy. I´d love for you to visit! Thanks!

• Options
    Tobedad said:
    We rotate who gets up and for awhile it was just her becuase she wasn't pumping yet. Now i get up at least once in the night ( baby normally only gets up twice) depending on what I have going on the next day. On nights that I don't have work or school the next day I let her sleep through the night. She's not working and probably won't for awhile.
    That's a pretty normal night time set up. What about during the day while you're at home? When you have the baby does she get to sit and relax or is she off catching up on house work. She might just feel overwhelmed and took it out on you. It's very easy for both people to feel like they are doing 90% of the work when no one gets to sit and relax.
  • Options
    We normally make dinner together but I always make breakfast. The only thing we don't split duties on is laundry. She does all the laundry. Yesterday I had her pump and go to the grocery store by herself. So she could have some alone time and she really appreciated it.
  • Options

Its the little things that really add up.  One thing I have learned about relationships over the years is to understand what's important to your DW (or kids too).  For instance, I was making breakfast and lunch for everyone on schools days.  I thought I was kicking butt, taking names, super dad, doing all this extra stuff for everyone.....well it turns out that the kids wanted to make their own lunch.  And now most of the time they do make their lunch.  That was a win for them.

My wife enjoys that I make breakfast and lunch, but it doesn't particularly deposit anything into our relationship account.  And that's ok, its what works for us.  Now, if I could just figure out what does make those deposits...hmmm...  ;D

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"