July 2013 Moms

most surprising baby or toddler gear

As pregnant/planning for adoption mamas, we all read a lot about x thing that is soooo great for babies ....

Now that we're in it a year, what items have been the biggest surprises--either stuff you thought would be great that flopped or stuff you sideyed that turned out to be awesome?

Re: most surprising baby or toddler gear

• This post was inspired by GAP pajamas. They have cute designs but tight arm and thigh openings and stretch too easily at the neck. I expected. Carter's or if you can get in on a sale Hannah Anderson are way better PJs I think.

Miracle blankets: truly miraculous.

• I'm with Casey, I thought the jogging stroller would be awesome too. Too big unless really jogging!

I side eyed carriers honestly. Now I just throw her on my back (clingy girl) and I get to clean the house, cook, shop etc.
  • Loading the player...
  • fabkfabk member
    I agree with @Butternut87 the Bumbo was not a big sucess in this house. Bit everyone told us we had to have it.

We also barely use our outside swing. He hates being confined.

Big surprise was the aquarium for his crib. Kid loves that thing! He turns it on and watches it until you come to get him, and then turns it off himself!
  • Flops: stroller. I wanted a nice one, but it never gets used, because it is like poison to my child.

Successes: Ergo, A&A blankets and rnp.

We didn't purchase many things, though, so we didn't have a ton of flops. A swing totally would have been a flop for us.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • RNP=awesome
    Sleep sacks = awesome
    Video monitor = awesome.. I could never not have this item even as he gets older I still use it and creepily watch him. ;)
    Bumbo = waste of $ and space, IMO. He maybe sat in it twice
    Swing, practical for most but my kid probably laid in it twice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Necessities: A&A blankets (particularly for a summer baby, these were essential), RNP, swing, Beco carrier (and now Kinderpack), nice stroller (as @econmama said, we needed it. We walk most places)

Flops: Swaddles, pacifiers, most bottles, Magic sleep suit (hated it)
    Mom to three girls and pregnant with #4!
    L: 7/12/13
    C: 5/11/15
    E: 3/7/17
    Due 11/10/18
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loved our RNP. Seemed odd when we got it but it was set up next to our bed for 6 months.

Never bought A&A blankets. Thinking I really missed out on them.

• It is so different kid to kid. S never took to pacis. A is hardly ever without one.
  • Waste- swing (she hated it), so many sleep n plays we never used.

Loved- the kick in play piano, rock n play =lifesaver, sleep sacks, swaddlers, wubbanub

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• I have another: I can't live without my video baby monitor!!

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• Loved - swaddle mes, rnp, moby, ergo and our awesome city mini stroller
    Useless - magic sleep suit, pacifiers
  • Best: Mama's Milk sling, swing, Ergo and jogging stroller.

Meh: Boppy, only used it when he was first learning to sit. RnP was used a lot for just hanging out because it was so portable but Haddy slept with me until he was almost 1.
  • Love: The swing x 100. He absolutely loved the swing. Also, the Magic Sleep Suit, wubanubs, Baby Einstein Aquarium, and our video monitor

Not so great: The Moby, Boppy

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Love: The swing, kick n play piano and my boppy

Meh: Bumbo (what a waste, thank goodness it was a gift), the large stroller (hated getting that thing in and out) and PNP (we just didn't use it. It has been nice for house guests and the three times we have traveled)

Waste: Bibs (kid hates wearing them), those mitten gloves (I have a ton of unused ones if anyone wants them) and all of the hand me down baby stuff that I never ever touched (not because I was "better then hand me downs" but because we already had stuff and received everything after we already opened our PNP, etc

• Loves: 
    -Brest Friend (I lived out of the pocket in that thing)
    -Medela Lanolin
    -Wubanub
    -SwaddleMe's
    -Ergo
    -Citi Mini GT (who needs an umbrella stroller with this awesome fold n go?)

Flops: 
    -The PNP. Other than using the top bassinet level the first month, we haven't used it since. We tried using it outside with him, but he doesn't like to sit in there with his toys. He wants out. Everyone we have visited has one to borrow. Maybe we will use it in the future on other trips. 
    -Bumbo
    -Moby; so hard to figure out, and doesn't contain a squirming child
    -Bottle warmer; he doesn't care if it is hot or cold
    -baby hats and scratch mittens; July babies don't need hats, and we never used the mitts. 

Surprises:
    -He LOVED the swing
    -Boppy; worked better when I was sitting in a good supportive chair (our glider) than the BF
    -Fisher Price projection mobile; baby crack. He still uses it. 
    -YummiGo booster seat; he fit in this thing before he fit in a typical restaurant high chair, so we were able to get him out of our lap sooner and enjoy some meals https://www.amazon.com/Benbat-Yummigo-Booster-Storage-Chair/dp/B0097ROIX2
  • Loves: boba carrier, magic sleep suit, city versa stroller, my breast friend, Motorola video monitor.

Meh: maxi cosi prezi car seat. It was nice, but heavy and the straps kept digging into his neck. Boppy, could never get comfortable with it. Ring sling, wanted to love it but he hated. Bumbo, used it twice.

Side eyed but awesome: fp snuganunny swing. Seriously. Used it for months, saved my sanity. White noise machine. Also saved our sanity.
  • Best: A&A blankets, white noise machine, RNP, ergo.

Useless: the huge steam sterilizer- took too long and way too bulky- I ended up just using the bags. Also, the twins hated the bouncer. The little hats and bibs that came with everything. Also hate the stroller that came with our carseats (double Chicco)- that thing is like a bus.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @somerandomchick, you just reminded me that I have puppet washcloths stashed away. Guess what I'm busting out tonight? Washing his face has become such a battle!

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"