July 2013 Moms

Screaming at bedtime

I'm at a loss here. I know baby's gonna baby, but this is so unlike her. For months we've had the routine for nap and bedtime and it's been fine. Lay her down and she falls asleep alone. For the past couple nights she screams at bedtime. Most naps she screams when you put her in the crib.
The other issue is that she throws her paci out of the crib. I don't want to go in to give it back to her but I know she won't calm down without it. I also don't want her screaming. A little whining isn't a big deal to me. Normally she may whine for 30 seconds then roll over and fall asleep. This is full on screaming, heart breaking screaming.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

Re: Screaming at bedtime

• Maybe her awake times are changing? I say this because we have gone through something similar with L for her second nap. She always falls asleep on her own rather easily, too, but these past couple of days she has stood and screamed, so I go in there and try and rub her back, bounce/walk/rock her, etc. and she will have none of it. I think she is ready to drop the second nap, so I am going to try and push back the first nap so we can make it to bedtime without too much fuss.

Anyways, maybe she is ready to stay awake for longer periods at a time? Good luck!
    Mom to three girls and pregnant with #4!
    L: 7/12/13
    C: 5/11/15
    E: 3/7/17
    Due 11/10/18
  • Maybe she has an ear infection? & laying down makes it hurt more?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Good suggestions everyone. I think she has a cold (runny nose) but didn't think of ears. I'll make an appointment for her tomorrow just in case. I don't think it's teeth but I could be wrong.

As far as naps, I'm pretty sure she's ready for a change in her nap schedule, the problem is if we're going to cut out a nap then she's going to have to make her afternoon nap much longer. Today she only slept 40 ish minutes. I tried to get her back to sleep and she would have none of it. She was over tired by the time bedtime rolled around which no doubt made things much worse.

In order for her to fall asleep just now I ha e to rock her until she caught her breath and was dozing then Kay her down and run her back. I honestly just think she was out of fight for now. I know she'll wake up around 3 am though bc that's her new norm too.

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• Our screaming is purely S working us. As soon as we shut the door it stops. :-?
  • Do any of your LOs sleep with a blanket? I've always been afraid to give her one overnight though she uses one at naptime. Maybe that would comfort her?

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• Erinm278 said:
    Do any of your LOs sleep with a blanket? I've always been afraid to give her one overnight though she uses one at naptime. Maybe that would comfort her?
    He has a blanket and a few stuffed animals in there, plus his wubbanub
  • Byjove03 said:

We do blankets as well and DD brings a bunny.

Is your DD upset to be laid down for diaper changes as well? If yes, than it could def be an ear infection.

No she's fine for diaper changes.

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• Sleep has been hell for us for about a month now. He's back to waking up 4-6 times a night and refuses to go back to sleep without the boob. He fights it so bad and it so exhausted. Same thing with the screaming when I lay him down. He used to just babble himself to sleep. I thought we were close to STTN when he got down to 1 wakeup, but now It's like we have a newborn who throws temper tantrums. No help, but you're not alone.

• Haddy always has a blanket and he does fine with it in the crib. This week he's only been taking one nap a day so his sleep schedule has definitely changed.

I hope she starts to sleep better soon >:D<
  • saphiressaphires member
    edited August 2014
    LO sleeps with a A&A blanket and his taggie puppy. He cuddles the puppy all night long.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• No advice other than what's been given, but huge hugs. Hope LO feels better.
    Formerly the untaggable Mrs. D S Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Okay similar situation here too.

We've had the same routine for months and months, and have been drowsy but awake for nap time and bedtime too. Still had MOTN wake ups that required boob to go back down but have been lucky to have generally peaceful bedtimes.

Started a couple of weeks ago. Afternoon naps were tougher and had some screaming. If I was home it'd take boob to fall asleep. If it was the nanny she'd get him up and try again in 30min. Usually he'd be so tired he's conk out.

Bedtime became a disaster. Screaming. Crying. Even when I thought he was asleep on the boob, as soon as I'd super slowly start the crib transfer he'd wake up and erupt into tears. Would take 2 or 3 rounds.

For us it's still not great but seems to be improving back to normal slowly. I just keep trying our original routine until it'll stick.

All I can attribute it to is a combo of development (learning to walk, starting to sign, being more aware etc) and also some molars.

Hugs it totally sucks!!
  • Well we had another complete meltdown at bedtime tonight. I even called in DH to do the laying down and returning of the paci in case it was bc of me that she was screaming. Well she screamed with him to. She would let us rub her back though. I get the feeling she wants to know we're there which never was an issue before.
    Just like last night I rubbed her back until she fell asleep and then slowly crept out of her room.
    Tonight she's sleeping with a blanket for the first time and her stuffed mini. It didn't help her fall asleep any easier but we'll see if it helps when she wakes up. If she follows form she'll be up at 3-4 am.

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• Took her to the Dr today and no ear infection or anything. She did however get a tooth on the side. I didn't think to look that far back bc normally they don't come in back there first. I'm hoping this sleep issue is teething!

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"