July 2014 Moms

cereal...when did you give it to your little one?

My lo never sleeps more than 2 hours. My mom, aunt and grandma have all recommended I add just a tiny amount to one of his nightly bottles. The pediatrician said to wait. What have you done? What would you do?
image.

Re: cereal...when did you give it to your little one?

• DD1 was about 5 or 6 months when she stated having baby cereal. I'd be wary of giving anything other than milk until about 4 months at the earliest.

• Loading the player...
  • I know you ladies are right...I'm just so tired I'm getting desperate.
    image.
  • KnbhKnbh member
    Oh how I feel your pain. My DS only sleeps 1-2 hrs at a time, even at night. It's brutal and depressing.
  • 5 months with dd1- listen to your pedi
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image
  • Definitely old-school advice to do cereal in a bottle for better sleep. FWIW with my older son he started cereal/solids a week before he was 4 months, because that is when he seemed ready (clutch pearls all you want), but did it as food with a spoon. His sleeping habits didn't change one single bit (which was not why we were doing it anyway),
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would listen to the pediatrician. Putting cereal in a bottle can be a choking hazard. The only reason it is ever recommended now is in severe cases of reflux. It also has not really been proven to help babies sleep longer.

I would look into other causes of the poor sleep. It could be anything from baby being overtired to breastfeeding issues to being in a Wonder Week (time of big developments).
  • We plan on baby led weaning, so no cereal.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• For DS we started at 4 months at the suggestion of our pedi. and it wasn't until half way through month 5 that I realized the 2 hours of crying and wakefulness caused by gas (between 3 and 5am) was actually because of the cereal.

DD won't get solids until 6 months, and i'm skipping cereal all together.

• Ekg688 said:
    A few older ladies at work were talking about this the other day. I think years ago this was a normal practice. One lady was saying how she used to feed her 2 month old rice cereal mixed with baby food fruit! I almost shit a brick lol. Definitely listen to pediatrician :)

My MIL said DH was eating wheatabix (English cereal) mashed with cows milk off a spoon when he was 2 months old. Luckily, she knows that's not good advice these days.

• We fed DD cereal at 6 months and only once. Going to do baby led weaning this time so no cereal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We started solids with DS1 at 4 months on the pedi's rec because he wouldn't go more than 2 hours between feedings (even at night). It did nothing to help his sleep, so we'll probably wait closer to 6 months with this LO.

Honestly, I know it sucks, but at this age 2 hours is still normal. I won't say it'll get better on its own because from my own experience with DS1 it might not, lol. But eventually they get to an age where they can self-soothe and you can sleep train if you want...especially when you know they're old enough and eating enough to go longer stretches and the frequent waking is more out of habit than anything.
  • @MSUDucks‌
    You hit the nail on the head! DD is going on 13 months and that girl still wakes twice a night for her bottles. I've put the oatmeal in there, did it make a difference? Hell no!! That baby does not miss a meal. I've told myself that this could go on up until 24 months, so I've prepared myself for that.

We have our "Irish Twins"

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• I started rice cereal in the bottle with a faster flow nipple at about 3 months. We started solids at about 4.5 months with DS1.
    Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

• Listen to your pedi. Introducing solids too early can lead to problems and probably won't help your baby sleep. Neither of my kids slept any better after starting solids at 6 months.

How old is your baby? What is your baby's sleep situation? Where does he sleep, when do you put him to bed, etc.? Can you and your spouse/partner alternate bottles so you can get some longer stretches of sleep?

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I know you're frustrated and sleep deprived but please do not give your baby cereal in a bottle...
    There is a reason your pediatrician is advising not to. Babies digestive tracts are so immature and not ready to process pretty much anything besides milk until around six months.
    Also, remember, first foods (when baby is ready) are just for practice until they are a year old.
    Remember that this phase passes (eventually). Hang in there!
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Nichole8787Nichole8787 member
    edited August 2014
    @iris427 Dh sleeps on the couch because he snores like a freight train. Dh will not help width middle of the night feedings because he gets up early for work. On his days off waking him up Is impossible. By the time I wake him up I'm wide awake.

Lo is 5 weeks old and sleeps in our room in his cradle. He wakes up every hour and a half to two hours with out fail. Our bedtime routine starts at 8:30 ish. It's diaper change, swaddle, lights out, noise machine, nurse him almost to sleep and lay him down.

Yesterday I fed him every two hours, sometimes every hour when he wanted too. I think it helped. I started the night with a 3 and a half hour stretch! Our longest ever!

I'm not going to give him cereal. I was just getting desperate.
    image.
  • With DD1, it was 4 months when we did cereal. That was at the advice of the pediatrician. We also never added it to her bottle. I've read/heard it's a bad idea to do so? Idk why? We always spoon fed it.

We'll follow peds advice on this kiddo to. But she's bigger than her sister was, so I'm expecting we'll be right around 4 months when we start.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • abundancenowabundancenow member
    edited August 2014
    My pedi suggested I put oatmeal in DDS bottle to help with reflux at DDS 2 month apt. My pedi is young too, like 35, I was surprised. I'm trying Zantac bf using oatmeal bc another pedi (much older) instructed me to use rice cereal in my sons bottle at 4 months. I did and it helped some, but it was the biggest pain in the ass due to finding a good flow for the nipple. I had to keep cutting the nipple to get big enough to allow the milk to flow. Ds did not have any allergies and has always been a great sleeper and eater.
  • We waited until 6 months to begin solids with DD. We will do the same with DS.

Sorry for your lack of sleep. Every 2 hours is definitely rough. Unfortunately, adding solids to DD's diet did not make her sleep any longer.
    DD 11/1/12
    DS 7/16/14
    DD Free from FPIES triggers as of 18 months! 
    Sweet potato, avocado, banana, mango, oats, wheat & rice outgrown.
    Dairy, soy, and peanut allergies outgrown! Allergic to eggs.
    DS MSPI, egg allergy
  • Our pediatrician hasn't said anything about rice cereal for sleeping through the night or reflux. I wouldn't feel comfortable about it so young, definitely not before 4 months. My understanding is there's not really a big benefit to it, so I don't see the point in taking the risk of his digestive system/allergies since he was early. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"