Baby Names

James nickname

FTM here looking for perspective. How realistic is it for me to name my baby James and expect people call him Jay, like my H and I will.

How much can you insist on a nickname? Am I kidding myself?

Re: James nickname

• I know a guy named James that goes by Jay the only reason I knew his name was actually James was bc he and his wife were considering it for their son all through high school everyone including his mom called him Jay
  • In general, people tend to follow the parents' lead on nicknames. However, some may choose to cal them by their full name. 
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I think with family it's easier to control but all bets are off when he starts school
    "I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass." Maya Angelou
    ~ Auntie to L: 2013 and Peanut: EDD 11/2014 ~

• My cousin is James and goes by Jay because he thinks James is the worst name ever lol he's never had a problem with getting people to use that nn.
  • If DH and I have a boy, he's being called James (unless some sneaky relative steals it before then) and intend on using the nickname Jamie. 

I think the more consistent you are with introducing him as Jay and the younger you start using a nickname, the better your chances of it catching on with the people around you. It's not an entirely illogical nickname, but it's not one that people will naturally default to (like Jimmy or Jamie). Jay's usually a stand-alone name.

Just be prepared for it to not stick or to go through change. My DH's name is Robert (which is probably the only thing I don't like about him :P). He started out as a Robbie, went by the full Robert for a year or two (at his instigation), then he switched to Rob in high school.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP: 9/30/14 EDD: 06/10/15
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    Why not just name him jay?
  • 4N6s said:
    Why not just name him jay?

This is where I am

• It's not very realistic for people to come up with it on their own, Jamie and Jimmy are more common NN's for James; but if YOU call him Jay and introduce him as Jay, I think most people will take your lead.

I agree with PP's though - all bets are off once your son can form an opinion about what he wants to be called.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We would be naming him after a family member. I don't mind other nicknames of James and love the name James, but would like to call him Jay.
  • I think it is realistic that he can be called Jay a lot. Just realize that he may prefer the more formal/polished James and ask that you call him that. I love the name James and the nicknames - Jay, Jamie, and Jack. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My son is James but we only ever call him Jimmy and nobody has ever called him James.  We also have a family friend whose son is James but he goes by Jay, and nobody ever calls him James either.  I think you'll be fine.

• I think if you call him Jay from the start then other people will fall in line.  If you always call him James...people will either call him that or call him Jimmy.  I think as long as you are consistiant in what you call him in front of others, thats what he will perfer to be called.

My husband is John but has never been called anything other than Jack.  To the point he didnt even realize his name was John when he first started school.   So no one ever called him anything different.

Our sons initials will be CJ and we are worried thats what others will call him.  At the end of the day though, if we never call him that, and encourage his grandparents not to call him that then thats all we can do.  Once he starts school there will be no telling what people will nickname him and we will just have to roll with it.
    DH and I Married 11.12.10
    First BPP 1.24.14
    EDD 9.26.14

Baby Cooper John born on 9.24.14 6lbs9oz

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"