March 2014 Moms

mom of light weights and those getting weight checks

The twins were gaining great their first few months and then slowed down considerably by months 4-6. At the 6-month check they actually went down in % so the pedi scheduled us for a weight check in 2 weeks (tomorrow!).

At the 4 month check they were in 3rd (12 lb) and 6th (12.2 lb) % and then by 6 month they were each 13 lb 3 oz, which is 1%. Since they decreased in % she gave us some things to work on and scheduled a weight check for 2 weeks. She wants them to gain 1 lb in 2 weeks...uhhhh they took 2 months to gain 1 lb and some how they are supposed to do it in 1 week!?!?!?!?!

The pedi wanted us to give solids 3x/day (focus on fruit as more calories), nurse every 2.5 hours during the day and offer a bottle of either BM or formula for 1 feeding (try to get 5-6 oz in this feed). 

My biggest hurdle has been that they are EBF and have been refusing bottles since 4 months. My and DH have tried pretty much everything and they just don't want the bottle. We've tried a sippy cup to, but last night was the first night so we will try again tonight with a different kind.

What have you done/are doing to increase your light weights weight? Any suggestions for me? 

thanks!!!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic&nImage and video hosting by TinyPic bsp;center;"
>Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: mom of light weights and those getting weight checks

• What's your production like? In the very beginning my nutritionist talked to me a lot about hind milk pumping. I don't know exactly how to do it with nursing, but I have seen it discussed on my heart boards. I think you pump for a little while before putting them on to get rid of the fore milk. So they get a higher concentration of hind milk. I never made enough to be able to do it.

We don't feed any solids because of the calories. He gets more from his milk than he would get in the solids. 

Also, try an open cup. They make special ones for babies that don't spill. I can look for the brand that is always discussed on my DS boards. Like Bilboa or something like that?
  • Loading the player...
  • I would go ask on the breastfeeding board as I'm not 100%. 

Anyways with my other kids EBF they only gained 1 pound between 4-6 month check up. That is when they started getting more curious and more active. So they burned more calories, as for feeding fruit for more calories I want to say by doing that they will get less calories because they won't nurse as much breast milk has more easily digested fats.

Personally if you started solids I would back off and increase nursing. 
    Lucas dropped in % at the 4 month visit as he is so extremely distractible. I started nursing in the bedroom away from Alexis and he nurses much better. He will get multiple letdowns. If I try any where else he eats just enough to feel better.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• We just had our 6 month appointment last week and Owen was 12 lbs (less than 1%) and Keira was 13 lbs and a couple of oz (4%). At previous appointments they told us to offer 1-2 oz of milk after each feed. Not possible in our house but we make sure to give Owen at least one feeding (4-6 oz) in a bottle every day, either formula or bm depending on my supply. Keira won't take a bottle either so she gets an extra nursing session when he gets a bottle.They're small but have been staying on their own slow curves so the doctor doesn't really have us doing anything else extra right now besides solids (I'm about to go from 1-2x/day). I have heard of other moms I know pumping and adding formula to the milk or using an extra scoop of formula for extra calories per their doctors.

As for how to get them supplements, we've been trying a sippy cup for Keira but haven't had much luck yet. I have heard some people have more luck with straw cups so I plan to try that soon. My other thought would be to try a syringe or even a spoon, though those would take a long time to feed.

Trying to gain a pound in 2 weeks sounds crazy to me, especially if they're getting more active at all. Mine have only been gaining a pound a month. Sorry I'm not much help, more commiseration than anything. If your boys seem happy and otherwise healthy I would just do your best with the supplements and not worry too much. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • thanks ladies! I agree that the pedi is a little crazy with the whole 1 lb in 2 weeks idea. I'm also hoping that she gave me such lofty goals (nurse every 2.5 hours and solids 3x/day) in hopes that I would accomplish some of that. really...who the hell has time for all of that!!!

I've really increased my water intake and I can tell my supply has increased as well, so hopefully that will help. Also, I've been diligent that they are getting 6 nursing sessions/day (they also get a dream feed and usually 2 MOTN feeds) I'm going to try to cup as well. I would have started feeding them an extra oz or 2 with the medicine dropper but we have been on vaca for most of the last 2 weeks.

The funny thing is that DS1 weighed even less at each stage than the twins have, but he never dropped down in %, so I guess that is a little different.

I"m glad I'm not alone in the frustration or struggle and @ntdane , I love your "not in this house' statement...I"m all for doing as much as I can for these two but I'm not about to sacrifice everything else I need to do to try to force feed them.

They are meeting milestones and very happy. Also, they only act hungry if it is time for a feed, they don't fuss at the breast and are content to go 3-4 hours between feeds so I don't think they are starving.

thanks again ladies, I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic&nImage and video hosting by TinyPic bsp;center;"

• Lol, yeah, mine nurse every 1.5-2 hours and I can't tandem them much anymore because they smack each other pretty hard, so I'm feeding babies all day anyway. Then there's the 3 yo....yeah, no time here! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are on the small side (5th percentile)

My pedi is laid back- he says babies will tell us what they need so if they aren't acting hungry then they probably are fine- sometimes you have a slow growth month.
  • YankeePeach - Will barely gained anything this month. We measure his calories very exactly so we know he should be, but he had a real slow down in his growth (10 lbs 11 oz at 5months to 11 lbs 4 oz at 6 months). I think it's because of the increased activity. With all of his extra movement it has to be burning calories! We are still doing weight checks just to make sure, but I'm trying not to worry because he is so wild. 
  • We had our 6 month checkup yesterday and Brooklyn only gained 3/4 of a pound in two months. She's now in the 32nd percentile for weight at 15 lb 9 oz. Our pedi wants me to increase pumping and try to get in an extra nursing session a day, or have her take one bottle a day to try to up her intake during the day. No weight checks or anything, but it's still freaking me out :/. My husband was a skinny kid so she said it's possible her body type may just be like his.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • My LO is small. She was 8lb 10 at her 4 month appointment and we were told to gain 20oz in 4 weeks to get to 10lbs by 5 months. We were really struggling, but we persevered with the bottle, we had to as I was going back to work. We've been feeding her 4x4oz bottle in the day and I feed her 3x a day with a 2 oz supplement most nights at bed using an SNS. So, my supply is bad, I reckon she gets 24 oz a day like this. We're just under 6 months and weighed her yesterday, 11lbs 9oz! We're still less than 1% but heading in the right direction. Our pedi said no solids when we went at 4 months, just more BM/formula. We'll see what he says next week at her 6 month appt.

• @babycaps‌
    For some, I don't think it's necessarily 'gain weight faster', but rather a 'keep the weight going up so we don't have to worry about illness' sort of thing.

I did one weighed feeding at around 4 months with DS1 because his growth curve (weight) dropped.
    All of my kids are tall and thin.
    I think now that doctors can see DD and her 20 inch waist, almost 70 lb, 5ft 2inch body, they don't worry about the boys.

My doctors have always looked at the parents...if they are tall and thin, there's a good chance the kids will be too.
  • I posted an update in the random thread but forgot to come back here and update:

So, the weight check...somehow Dominic gained exactly 1 pound! Vincent gained 13 oz so the doctor was happy!! And, FFTC, they both pooped before we got the to doctors and I didn't change them, we needed all the help we could get. At our pedi they weigh with diapers on starting at 6 months.

I'm going to stick with solids 2/day, can't really manage 3, I'll nurse 2.5-3 hours but I'm not waking then from a nap and I'm done trying to force a bottle or sippy cup. We tried everyday for 2 weeks and they are not gonna do it.

• I think in our case the pedi was pushing for weight gain b/c there was a drop in % and she wanted to keep them trending up. Although, the drop was 2-3% which could honestly be the difference between weighing before and after a poop, or in the instance of our 6 month appt, they were both due for a feeding but didn't eat before being weighed. A feeding could have easily added a few oz.

DS1 was always 0% and he was EBF and his pedi never once suggested we supplement. He was going to daycare and took bottles but she was fine with 100% BM. Also, even though he was 0% he always followed his own curve.

I think what bothered me the most in our case was she kinda stressed me out with how much "homework" she gave me...I was spending so much time "feeding" (offering solids when they weren't ready and bottles that they wouldn't take) it took up my whole day. My DH and I finally came to the agreement/conclusion that while their weight gain was important, so was a smoothly functioning mama/family...and we would do what we could but weren't going to force things.

Overall, I'm glad they gained, we don't need to go back for a month and that my pedi now understands

• @YankeePeach08

Does your pedi have the scale near the wall? Ours does and if I'm not careful the scale can be touching the wall and the nurse not notice. That scale has messed up their weight more then once. 

I'm guessing their scale was off, or like you said it was time to eat and they weren't weighed right if you normally nurse/feed before hand. 

If your babies would  gain 1 lb in a week that would be 4 lbs a month and that would be crazy. Don't get me wrong they very well could of gained that much but I would think it was more to do to a growth spurt, vs doing what the doctor said. Our LO's have started gaining differently  before it was in a more steady pace now it in batches, a little here a little there. 

I really don't think your pedi is aware that BF babies almost always drop in% between 4-6, and they will drop again when they start walking. A drop in % is not a weight loss, Lucas dropped from 67% to 31% he still gained 2lbs at his 4m visit. We go for the 6m visit on Tues. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• That's the thing, she will never take more at a feeding. She nurses one breast, and then is done, won't even try to take the other if offered. That's why my pedi wasn't too concerned, plus her head growth is right on track and she's way ahead of developmental milestones so she says she's probably fine. I've been wondering about my supply for awhile anyway so I think the extra pumping is more for my peace of mind.

It's weird having a little 6 month old, when she was HUGE as a newborn! We still fit into some 3 month outfits and onesies!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"