December 2013 Moms
Options

Book Club: The Fault in Our Stars

amberproamberpro member
edited August 2014 in December 2013 Moms
It's that time! Sorry it's late in the day, but first week of school = super crazy days. Hopefully we can keep this going for a few days, though.

Feel free to tell us general feelings about the book (including thoughts throughout, questions, observations), but I will also throw out some guided questions. I will start with a couple now, then maybe throw in some more when the conversation slows.

1) How would you describe Hazel and Gus? Are they what you would normally associate with a cancer patient? How do they each relate to their cancer? Ignore, rage, life's unfair? How do they each confront life and death?

2) Hazel says, "Cancer books suck." Is this a cancer book? Is it what you were expecting? Did you have any preconceived notions of cancer that were altered?

3) What was your experience with the book? Too sad? Too funny? Tragic? Uplifting? Too graphic?

1, 2, 3, GO! I'll be back later to join in! :)

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

Re: Book Club: The Fault in Our Stars

• Options
    1) How would you describe Hazel and Gus?

I think Hazel's character was very real. She was relatable and just like a typical teenager. I liked the references to her watching ANTM marathons and even when she fought with her parents. She is a matter of fact, tell it like it is kind of girl. I like that about her but I also think it is a product of her circumstance. I wish she could be happy, carefree and unknowing of the pain she has experienced.

I felt that a lot of Gus's personality was a front, like he wanted to divert attention away from his cancer. I get that but also felt like I could not connect to him because of it. He was charming and likeable overall but I hated that he called her Hazel Grace.

Are they what you would normally associate with a cancer patient?

I'm not sure. I don't really know much about cancer nor do I know anyone personally who has experienced cancer. I think the book helped to show that anyone can be effected by it. It also made me appreciate my health and I felt sad because they are both so young.

How do they each relate to their cancer? Ignore, rage, life's unfair?

I felt that Hazel is very matter of fact about her cancer. She certainly seems to think that it is unfair but she deals with it the best way she knows how. She knows what to expect of her cancer and has accepted it. Gus seems to shield himself and everyone around him from his cancer. I think probably knows the true impact but doesn't want to accept it.

How do they each confront life and death?

I think Hazel has accepted her cancer and the fact that she is terminal and there is no hope for recovery and she is prepared. I think Gus is in denial. Particularly when he attempts to drive himself to the gas station to get cigarettes. I thought this was one of the only times in the book when I saw the true Gus.

2) Hazel says, "Cancer books suck." Is this a cancer book? Is it what you were expecting? Did you have any preconceived notions of cancer that were altered?

I thought of this more as a YA book-a love story, instead of a cancer book. I haven't read anything that I would call a cancer book for a comparison.

3) What was your experience with the book? Too sad? Too funny? Tragic? Uplifting? Too graphic?

I really enjoyed reading the book. I had heard great things about it and I was hoping for it to be a major tear jerker (I cry easily) but it wasn't for me. Does that make me a bad person? Ha. As I said above, I couldn't connect to Gus very well. For some reason as soon as his character was introduced I just knew that he was going to die because he was portrayed as so full of life. Maybe I was just shielding myself from it and so I didn't get too invested in him?

I loved Hazel's perspective on every thing. She is a strong character and a good role model. I really liked the bond she had with her mom. Now that I am a mom, I can understand how her mom would stay her all day in the hotel in Amsterdam, while she slept instead of going out to explore the city. It made me think of how amazing a mother's love is and sad to even think about how unbearable it would be to have to watch your child suffer through an illness.

I loved everything about Amsterdam except for Peter Van Houton. He didn't do anything for me.
  • Options
    I found it to be a very easy read. I too assumed Hazel would be the one to die.
    I found it very sweet that he used his wish for her.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    wmarleywmarley member
    edited August 2014

How would you describe Hazel and Gus? Are they what you would normally associate with a cancer patient? How do they each relate to their cancer? Ignore, rage, life's unfair? How do they each confront life and death?

I think Hazel and Gus are not normal teenagers at all. My sister is 17- she is still in that very superficial, self-conscience, crazy about boys stage. I think Hazel and Gus skipped all the normal teenage angst due to dealing with their illnesses. I am not sure what I associate with a normal cancer patient. I think cancer effects anyone and a cancer patient can be represented by so many different kinds of people. As far as them relating to their cancer- I think Hazel carries it like a burden on her and her family. Maybe her oxygen tank represents the weight of her disease she carries around? I also had a feeling Gus would be the one to die since he seemed so healthy and full of life in the beginning. I think Hazel accepts the fact she will die and worries about what she is leaving behind. I think Gus was so sure he had time, that accepting death was extremely hard once his cancer came back.

Hazel says, "Cancer books suck." Is this a cancer book? Is it what you were expecting? Did you have any preconceived notions of cancer that were altered?

I don't think I've ever read a cancer book. But this book did change my view on those with cancer. It is hard for me to relate to and I often find myself not knowing how to talk to someone who has cancer and this book definitely reaffirmed that difficulty. They talk about how people don't know what to say to them and they hate hearing the typical things or getting looks of pity. I do understand that but since I can't directly relate to cancer patients I never know what IS appropriate to say.

What was your experience with the book? Too sad? Too funny? Tragic? Uplifting? Too graphic?

I expected this book to make me bawl like a baby, and I was a lot less emotional than I thought I would be. It did feel very YA to me. I actually liked the end of the book when they went into detail about Gus's last few months. It was tragic, but interesting. A lot of times, movies and books will gloss over the end of terminal patients so you only remember the happy shining version of them, but this went into all the dirty details and helped me understand the struggles family and friends go through at that time. I remember Hazel wishing she could go back to the strong not-sick version of Gus instead of remembering him week and frail.

Other thoughts: I SO related to the parents, especially Hazel's Mom. When she cried on her husband and said "I won't be a Mom anymore" it really touched me. I would feel the same way! It would be so hard to be strong all the time and stay happy for your child but just want to crawl into a ball and cry yourself to sleep.

ETA: didn't finish.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Bfairchild618Bfairchild618 member
    edited September 2014
    Well, I wanted to like it. I really, really wanted to like the book. But, I just couldn't make it happen. I thought Hazel was pretentious, Gus was just too much and all of the other characters were vastly overly emotional. I understand that the situation they were dealing with would have made them so, but it just made me dislike everyone.
    I felt like it was a cancer book. I felt like everyone was going to die. It was suuuuuper depressing to immerse myself in death and to try to get attached to characters who were just going to die.
    All in all, I thought it would be a good read for some. I just didn't dig it.
  • Options
    So what happened to everyone else who read? My 11 yr old says her friends at school have read it. What would you do? Would you let your 11yr old read this book? Also- have you watched the movie? (My 10 yr old reports that her friends moms all cried a lot while watching. )
    @mamagplus4chix yes, I would let her read it.
  • Options
    I felt like this book read like a typical book about kids with some sort of terminal illness.  They try to act like normal kids but they aren't and they get special perks because of the illness (not saying there's anything wrong with that).  At the end there's a twist and someone else dies instead of the person you think will die all along. 

I would let my 11 year old read it.  When I was that age, I read a lot of Lurlene McDaniel for some reason.  She wrote a lot of "one last wish" books.  It made me aware of different cancers and illnesses that are out there.  I don't think that's a bad thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"