Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Missed miscarriage confusion

Breezy416Breezy416 member
edited August 2014 in Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
I'm 27 and this is my first pregnancy. Everything seemed to be developing right on track. I had most of the typical symptoms, extreme fatigue, breast tenderness, frequent urination, mild nausea, sensitivity to smell, feelings of stretching in my abdomen and hips, and high running emotions. I did have some cravings and food aversions, but instead of an increased appetite I lost it a bit and felt fuller faster. I don't smoke, stopped drinking alcohol and caffeine when I found out I was pg and diligently took my prenatal vitamins every day and started going to bed earlier each night. Overall I was taking the best care of my body that I possibly could. I went in for my first ultrasound at 8 weeks. We could see everything, fetal pole, yolk sac, everything measured exactly as it should. Then the Dr.'s assistant asked if I'd had any cramping or bleeding... I hadn't, and didn't understand why she would ask. She then told me that she was very sorry but couldn't see the heartbeat. That it must have stopped within the past day or two. I was devastated. We were brought into another room to talk with the Dr. who had only seen a picture, not been in the room for the U/S itself. She told me I had three options, to wait it out, use medication to induce, or go for a D&C. Obviously I needed time to process everything that was happening. I told her I wanted to try to wait it out and let it pass naturally. She said to call in a week if nothing was happening and we'd look into a D&C. She didn't do any blood work, nor mention a second U/S in another week or two... which after some research, seems odd to me. After everything I've read, I absolutely DO NOT want a D&C unless it's absolutely medically necessary. Over the next few days, some of my symptoms started to subside; no m/s, my breasts were no longer tender and my appetite came back a little, although I was still exhausted and getting up in the middle of the night to pee. I did have some mild cramping, but nothing worse than what I'd felt all along. I had come to terms with expecting this to be the beginning of my m/c. It's now been two weeks and I have yet to have any bleeding or even spotting. My symptoms have also started becoming stronger again. I had strong m/s yesterday along with ringing in my ears, increased breast tenderness and my appetite has lessened again along with feeling Extremely emotional, like crying at the drop of a hat! I'm confused for multiple reasons... why wouldn't my blood levels be checked and re-checked? Why not schedule a follow up U/S just to be sure? Why would my symptoms be getting stronger again? Has anyone gone through anything like this? Could it have been a misdiagnosed m/c? Should I ask for another ultrasound just to be sure? I'm sorry for the lengthiness of this post, I'm just at such a loss and don't know what to do. Any suggestions or support are very much welcome! Thank you!

Re: Missed miscarriage confusion

• Options
    I'm so sorry you are going through this. It wouldn't hurt to ask for another u/s for a little peace of mind. I would not wait much longer to address this, if I were you. Two weeks is long enough to suffer through limbo and if it is indeed a MMC as diagnosed, you do not want to wait too much longer for your body to figure it out on it's own, as this can lead to complications. I know how devastating this situation is (today is 4 weeks since my MMC diagnosis at 11.5 weeks). Take care of yourself!

*************Siggy Warning. Loss mentioned.************

Me: 36, DH:37

Married 4/2010, TTC since 7/2011

Dx: Officially Unexplained (I have Polycystic Ovaries diagnosed via ultrasound, but few classic PCOS symptoms, he has mild MF issues. So... not issue free, but nothing so severe as to explain IF)

I also deal with post-surgical Hypothyroidism following Thyroid Cancer in 2009, but under control with Levothyroxine

4 months Clomid (thinned lining) and 10 months Letrozole (every indication that I responded perfectly)

6 failed IUIs in 2013, 3 with trigger

IVF #1 in March 2014

ER 3/21/14, 31R/21F, 12 frosties!

ET 3/26/14, 1 perfect blast transferred: BFN

FET#1 5/28/14, 2 "beautiful" early blasts transferred. BFP!!

Beta #1 (6/11/14) 798; Beta #2 (6/18/14) 7,966.

1st u/s (6/25/14) showed 2 sacs, 1 empty & 1 with a beautiful little bean doing what it needs to do!

EDD 2/14/15, missed miscarriage, DX: Trisomy 21. D&C 8/1/14

FET#2 Transferred 3 embies, 2 looking pretty good, one not so much. BFN.

IVF#2 January 2015, tentative ER 1/23

• Options
    If you're not comfortable with the options, you can always ask for confirmation before you do anything or even go to a different doctor and get a second opinion. I'm so sorry you're going through this. 
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're going through this. I would ask for another us just to confirm so you have no doubts and can decide what you want to do. As PP said, 2 weeks is a long time to wait in limbo. Sending t&p
    Married: 4/28/12
    BFP: 7/2/14 ;  1st US 7/21/14 Baby measuring 7w5d, HB of 138;  Discovered MMC 8/18/14 at 11w2d, baby measuring 8w5d, no hb ; 8/19/14 D&C

TTCAL December siggy challenge - Autocorrect Fails

| <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Tracker</My Chart

• Options
    ***siggy warning*** Definitely get another u/s just to be safe. But if its definitely a m/c, then you dont want to wait much longer to clean out your uterus bc it could develop into an infection. My ob/gyn said to give it one week after we discovered the mmc and if my body didnt do the work, I had to take Cytotec. Luckily, I passed everything within 3-4 days. You should def. have things checked out. Good luck and I'm so sorry, it's so heartbreaking.
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Options
    Call and ask for a second ultrasound to confirm. The problem with a missed miscarriage is the fact that your body has not yet recognized the loss. Symptoms can still be present in the case of a missed miscarriage unfortunately. You do also might have the option to do Cytotec if you want to do that instead of a D&C. I am sorry for your (pending) loss.
    TTCAL January Siggy Challenge: Animals in the Snow

About Me: 

AMA 35 :  DH 33
    BFP#1 1/26/14 (EDD: 10/7/14).  MMC 3/10/14 D&C 3/14/14
    RE Consult 11/3/14 - AMH 2.25 "great" . FSH 7.10 . Low Vitamin D
    Myomectomy 12/17/14.  Benched until March.

My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    Thank you all for your input and support! I have a second u/s tomorrow. I'm not expecting anything to have changed, just peace of mind before doing anything irreversible. Again, thank you all! It's nice to have a forum like this to go to.
  • Options
    Good luck tomorrow. I will be thinking of you.
    BFP: 7/2/14 ;  1st US 7/21/14 Baby measuring 7w5d, HB of 138;  Discovered MMC 8/18/14 at 11w2d, baby measuring 8w5d, no hb ; 8/19/14 D&C

| <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Tracker</My Chart

• Options
    My heart goes out to you.  I went through the same thing a little under one month ago.  We went in during our 8th week to hear the heartbeat.  We didn't.  A few days later I went for another ultrasound and still nothing.  I tried to see if my body was going to do anything naturally and it never did.  My doctor and I decided to do the Cytotec (not sure on spelling).  

For me it took about 4 hours to kick in.  At first it was a decent amount of cramping.  My advice to you is Always Infinity Pads (I started with the overnight ones), a heating pad with adjustable heat, and prescription pain med or over the counter (whatever your dr. recommends). Don't use tampons

By the following day I felt 100% better.  I was having a heavy flow but nothing that I couldn't handle.  For me (and this may be different for you) I spent the next 1 1/2 with a flow.  Then it turned to a discharge.  2 weeks after my Cytotech I had a blood draw.  This was to check hormone levels, again.  They were higher than what they should've been.  Now,I had another ultrasound, I just had my second round of Cytotech and another blood draw.  Appt on Thursday.

For warning...this may go quickly or it may take longer than you expect.  Either way, keep your head up and good luck.

• Options
    Similar story for my first...felt very strongly that I wanted to naturally miscarry. I somehow ended up under nobody's medical care and ended up waiting. It took an entire month for my body to kick in and finally start evacuating tissue. Bled for a month after that and finally had to go to ER for them to pull last little bit out and the bleeding finally stopped. Second MC, happened quickly but bled for a month and ended with cytotech. 3rd, Just did a DNC which was fabulous under the very sad circumstances.

No matter what you choose, stay in close touch with your provider. And I'm very sorry for your confusing circumstances. You'll be ok and hugs to you.
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • Options
    Breezy416Breezy416 member
    edited September 2014
    Update: U/S went as expected and showed no change or further growth/development. I start cytotec tonight. As difficult as it is, I'm ready to get things moving along and feel confident about using some medical assistance to make this as (hopefully) easy as possible. Again, thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and support! It's really helped me cope and mentally prepare myself as best as possible for this.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry @Breezy416, I hope things progress as smoothly as possible. Sending T&P

• Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. I to ok cytotec for my miscarriage on July 31. It worked for me, but my levels are being very slow to decrease. This process sucks, no matter how you go about it unfortunately. Praying everything goes smoothly for you!

DD 15.07.2012

BFP #2 01.18.2014, MMC 04.10.2014 15w5d

BFP #3 07.18.2014, MC 07.31.2014 5w6d

DX: RPL due to submucosal uterine fibroid. Hysteroscopy 12/16. All clear!

image</a

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"