Baby Names

Sara or Sarah

My husband and I both like the name Sarah (or Sara) Elizabeth, but can not agree on the spelling. I like to give my kids the most common way the name is spelled, so they are less likely to have it mispelled. Though I realize it will still happen. Which spelling do you like and do you more commonly see?

Re: Sara or Sarah

• Sarah
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • Well I am a Sara and I always spell it out for people or say Sara with no H. 

More often than not people automatically put the 'h' on the end. I personally don't think it's needed and prefer Sara. But I'm probably a bit biased ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I prefer Sara.
  • Sarah

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Sara makes me think of Zara but with an S so I like Sarah better
  • Sarah
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Sarah
    baby boy: 3.19.2014
  • I like it with the H; it looks incomplete without it. 
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • I prefer Sarah.  I think I know a good mix of both.  I don't think one spelling or the other would be a hardship for your LO.  I think people just say "with an H?" and she'll say yes or no.  
  • I am a Sarah. I like it with the H (obviously biased) but it feels more complete!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Sarah

Also, I love this name. So classic and feminine. Soft but still smart. Underused.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I have a Sara, though Sarah is more common. She doesn't get hung up on spelling if someone adds the H.

I chose it because my XH has a very common, long Mexican last name ending in -ez. I figured the less letters, the better. Plus, she has a very ethnic middle name (Noemi, Naomi in Spanish and homage to my dad, whose first name is Noé, Noah in Spanish); continuity was my deciding factor.

Wordy, but as someone who debated the same as you in '04, I thought you would appreciate it :-)
  • I really feel Sara is unfinished. I prefer Sarah, and as a teacher, it's much more common.
    TB is dead.

|| [url=http;//www.fertilityfriend.com]Ovulation Chart[/url]
    || <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Cha
  • I prefer Sarah
  • Sarah
    "I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass." Maya Angelou
    ~ Auntie to L: 2013 and Peanut: EDD 11/2014 ~

• My boyfriend's mom's name is Sarah Elizabeth. We plan to use Sarah as a middle name someday, though I prefer it spelled Sara.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• I actually like Seraphina nn Sera best. :)
    Started adoption process in Jan. 2011.
    3 failed matches in 2012.
    Surprise pregnancy in Aug. 2012.
    Precious baby boy "HC" born May 2013.
    Began researching EA in 2014.
    No longer pursuing EA due to fibroid complications.
    Officially on the adoption home study wait list.

• I'm a Sara Elizabeth. Growing up, I hated that there was no h because it was always misspelled. Now, I love that it's spelled this way. So, I say no h. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I prefer Sara. Sara Elizabeth was actually my childhood best friend's name, so I'm a big fan!
    Married July 3, 2009 | Furbaby Trevor July 15, 2009 | Furbaby Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012 | DD April 18, 2013
  • I like both equally. Popularity wise Sarah was 48 last year and Sara was 154 and it seems like they've been about 100 places apart for at least the last 10 years or so.

So if you want the more common spelling, Sarah.

• Both versions are lovely, but the spelling does change how the name is said ever so slightly. The H softens it a bit.
  • keep the "H"! It feels more classic to me and it will save people from spelling it wrong her whole life. (not that Sara is wrong, but it's less common)
  • One more vote for Sarah! It just does not look complete without the "h".  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks for all the input. His is still battling me. Apparently in Italy they don't use the H. Now he wants to talk different names, because we can not agree. So what does he suggest but Hanna (or Hannah). Geez. I love that name too, but we are back with the issue of the H
  • Sara. They "h" just looks wrong.
    imageimage
  • I am a Sara. Am frequently asked if it is spelled with or without an "h". Go with what you like the best....I think they/you will be asked how to spell it either way. Although I would say Sarah is more popular spelling.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I prefer Sara. It looks nicer to me.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I prefer Sara but my niece spells her name that way and always has to say "Sara no H". I'm sure that gets annoying!
    MMC October 2010
    BFP #2 June 3, 2014
    Twins?  You mean two babies?  WOW!
    Team PURPLE!!
    We are excited to meet William Alexander and Harper Abigail in 2015!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I prefer Sarah

• I'm a Sarah and I am always asked if it's spelt with or without an h (not a huge deal). I find it actually gets spelt without the h more often than not (if not asked). Just go with what you like best...she will likely be asked her whole life either way.
  • I am a Sara, no h. My parents chose this spelling because of my Latino roots. I say go with which way best fits your heritage and culture. Also, I like being different.
  • Sara. I've never wanted the h. 

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"